ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone working with a classical homeopath?

Hi,

My daughter, 16, is being treated by a classical homeopath. I thought I would check to see if anyone else is going this route. It would be nice to compare notes.

My daughter does not have a formal diagnosis of PANDAS but I suspect that is an element of her case. She has sensory processing problems as well as contamination type OCD and had completely messed up sleep. She was sleeping all day and up all night. She is not doing any school at this point.

We are in month three with the classical homeopathy. Her sleep has recently flipped around to normal so that is a wonderful positive. Her raging had stopped but just this week she got a cold and has had 3 OCD/rageful meltdowns. I am thinking the cold is the trigger. The homeopath is pleased that she developed a cold as she sees this as the body fighting back (she had not had any colds/flus for years).

So far - I am very hopeful with the homeopathic treatment. Anyone else out there trying this?

Sandy

Hi,

My daughter, 16, is being treated by a classical homeopath. I thought I would check to see if anyone else is going this route. It would be nice to compare notes.

My daughter does not have a formal diagnosis of PANDAS but I suspect that is an element of her case. She has sensory processing problems as well as contamination type OCD and had completely messed up sleep. She was sleeping all day and up all night. She is not doing any school at this point.

We are in month three with the classical homeopathy. Her sleep has recently flipped around to normal so that is a wonderful positive. Her raging had stopped but just this week she got a cold and has had 3 OCD/rageful meltdowns. I am thinking the cold is the trigger. The homeopath is pleased that she developed a cold as she sees this as the body fighting back (she had not had any colds/flus for years).

So far - I am very hopeful with the homeopathic treatment. Anyone else out there trying this?

Sandy

Have never tried but have given much thought to it. I know of another discussion board for parents of autistic kids and while my son isn't autistic I garnered much good information through the years from that group (before I knew of this godsend of a board). They are, as a group, pretty opposed to abx for their PANDAS population and many rely on homeopathy. Pleo San Strep is a remedy that I would like to try for my son. We're currently finally on a good abx trial but I strongly suspect that even if it works perfectly, I will be looking for some maintenance therapy that is gentler to his system and effective in keeping strep at bay. I also work with a herbalist who has been watching all of this through the years who agrees with this theory.

Has your daughter had any of the testing that our kids typically have to conclude a PANDAS diagnosis?

Gat's mom.

hi Sandy - i would definitely be interested to hear what your daughter is doing. my son is on a pleo sanum protocol. he was doing well but had some issues with an exacerbation back in nov due to the flu and now some residual things. during that exacerbation, i also put him on hyosycamus - which i was stunned when i read the profile b/c i could have written it myself as a list of his troublesome behaviors.

aside from pandas, we've had great luck with gelsemium immediately at the onset of a cold, oscillococcicum for flu and hepar sulphur for congestion.

i'm interested to hear about the homeopath's view that she was pleased to hear of a cold. did you daughter previously have no reactions to anything? had you thought she was extremely healthy?

I am very interested in this thread! We have recently found that my son just can't tolerate antibiotics anymore. Not even one day (his gut yeast/bacteria goes through the roof and he acts more violent and crazy than he did with PANDAS!). At this point he is on a very high dose of probiotics which has really helped. And I am toying with different herbals (Biocidin and just bought red reishi but have not tried it yet).

I would love to hear more about this "pleo sans strep" as I have never heard of it. Also, how do you go about finding a reputable "classical homeopathy" practitioner?

BTW, we have been doing the DAN protocol for a year now and have seen some great improvements in both of my boys. However, as far as PANDAS goes, the DAN docs pretty much stick to the mainstream meds: antibiotics, steroids, ibuprofen, ivig, etc...

Stephanie

hi Sandy - i would definitely be interested to hear what your daughter is doing. my son is on a pleo sanum protocol. he was doing well but had some issues with an exacerbation back in nov due to the flu and now some residual things. during that exacerbation, i also put him on hyosycamus - which i was stunned when i read the profile b/c i could have written it myself as a list of his troublesome behaviors.

aside from pandas, we've had great luck with gelsemium immediately at the onset of a cold, oscillococcicum for flu and hepar sulphur for congestion.

i'm interested to hear about the homeopath's view that she was pleased to hear of a cold. did you daughter previously have no reactions to anything? had you thought she was extremely healthy?

We are working with a classical homeopath. I am not familiar with the Pleo Sans drops but they seem to be a nosode or isopathic type of remedy. A classical homeopath uses a single remedy at a time, and bases their remedy selection on the individual mental, physical and emotional characteristics of the patient - so 10 children with PANDAS might be prescribed a variety of different remedies (and nosodes) depending on their individual symptoms. A great book that explains classical homepathy is "Impossible Cure" by Amy Lansky. Her son was cured of autism with homeopathy and it does tell that story but goes on to give a really good explanation of how classical homeopathy works and how to choose a homeopath. It's a really interesting read too.

Here is a link to an article on a 16 year old with OCD treated with classical homeopathy. Although this boy's remedy was syhpilinum, not everyone having OCD would need that remedy and it is a very powerful nosode so would not be recommended that anyone try that on their own.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IS..._84211150/pg_5/

I found our homeopath from this website. These ladies are all students of Dr. Luc DeSchepper, a homeopath (now retired) who has written many books. He has someone who took over his practice who is also probably very good (Farah Gron). It is better to meet with someone in person but some practitioners will work over the phone or skype.

http://www.homeopathyforwomen.org/

There are different ways of dosing homeopathically and our homeopath uses the remedies in water rather than with dry dosing. I like this method as it is possible to adjust the dose very precisely for kids who are very sensitive as my daughter is and you have a lot more contact and give and take with the homeopath with this method.

My daughter was fairly healthy though had tons of ear infections/strep several times when she was younger. She was quirky - extremely gifted, had difficulty with transitions, socially inept, adopted). When she hit puberty she developed sensory processing problems, rage, withdrew socially, developed OCD, eventually became unable to do school. During that time she did stop having colds, flu etc. It was suggested that she had aspergers but I don't really think she does. When we were on that track we tried DAN and Amy Yasko (buckets of supplements!) and I think in the end the heavy supplementation made her OCD worse. Her body is really sensitive and I don't think she was able to tolerate it - same with medication. Even with homeopathy, we have to give her 1/4 tsp. of a remedy while the rest of us take a 1 tsp. usually.

The homeopath sees any kind of discharge - cold, vomiting, diarrhea, even emotional outbursts as positive. The homeopathic view is that the body tries to move disease outward - away from the essential organs of body to protect the organism. So a skin eruption would not be as serious as asthma and the mental level would be considered the most serious impairment of a person. The example would be that a person can function pretty well having lost a finger or even a hand, but if they are impaired on the mental level, they lose much more ability to function.

OK - I will stop now. I have become so fascinated with all this that I have recently enrolled in a school for homeopathy. So I could go on and on...

Sandy

We are working with a classical homeopath. I am not familiar with the Pleo Sans drops but they seem to be a nosode or isopathic type of remedy. A classical homeopath uses a single remedy at a time, and bases their remedy selection on the individual mental, physical and emotional characteristics of the patient - so 10 children with PANDAS might be prescribed a variety of different remedies (and nosodes) depending on their individual symptoms. A great book that explains classical homepathy is "Impossible Cure" by Amy Lansky. Her son was cured of autism with homeopathy and it does tell that story but goes on to give a really good explanation of how classical homeopathy works and how to choose a homeopath. It's a really interesting read too.

Here is a link to an article on a 16 year old with OCD treated with classical homeopathy. Although this boy's remedy was syhpilinum, not everyone having OCD would need that remedy and it is a very powerful nosode so would not be recommended that anyone try that on their own.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IS..._84211150/pg_5/

I found our homeopath from this website. These ladies are all students of Dr. Luc DeSchepper, a homeopath (now retired) who has written many books. He has someone who took over his practice who is also probably very good (Farah Gron). It is better to meet with someone in person but some practitioners will work over the phone or skype.

http://www.homeopathyforwomen.org/

There are different ways of dosing homeopathically and our homeopath uses the remedies in water rather than with dry dosing. I like this method as it is possible to adjust the dose very precisely for kids who are very sensitive as my daughter is and you have a lot more contact and give and take with the homeopath with this method.

My daughter was fairly healthy though had tons of ear infections/strep several times when she was younger. She was quirky - extremely gifted, had difficulty with transitions, socially inept, adopted). When she hit puberty she developed sensory processing problems, rage, withdrew socially, developed OCD, eventually became unable to do school. During that time she did stop having colds, flu etc. It was suggested that she had aspergers but I don't really think she does. When we were on that track we tried DAN and Amy Yasko (buckets of supplements!) and I think in the end the heavy supplementation made her OCD worse. Her body is really sensitive and I don't think she was able to tolerate it - same with medication. Even with homeopathy, we have to give her 1/4 tsp. of a remedy while the rest of us take a 1 tsp. usually.

The homeopath sees any kind of discharge - cold, vomiting, diarrhea, even emotional outbursts as positive. The homeopathic view is that the body tries to move disease outward - away from the essential organs of body to protect the organism. So a skin eruption would not be as serious as asthma and the mental level would be considered the most serious impairment of a person. The example would be that a person can function pretty well having lost a finger or even a hand, but if they are impaired on the mental level, they lose much more ability to function.

OK - I will stop now. I have become so fascinated with all this that I have recently enrolled in a school for homeopathy. So I could go on and on...

Sandy

Sandy,

So interesting! I once worked in association with an acupuncturist from Thailand. One of the things I can remember about her despite a huge language barrier was that rashes and any eruptions (I'd assume emotional, too) were the body's way of purging. I'm a massage therapist with a clinical practice and emotional purges with my clients, though uncomfortable for them in the moment, are nearly always a bridge to healthier ground. My cousin is a research psychologist and she, too, agrees that emotional releases (specifically the crying I do wrt to my son's relapse and the current state of our life) is highly therapeutic. Further, on a bad day, my son's most lucid, relieved moments are after a meltdown. All seem to point in the same direction. Where do you live? My son is 16 also and completely unable to do school for the past 3 wks. Thank you for your very interesting post!

Gayle

Gat's mom

We are currently working with homeopathy and our current problem is that we have too many variables in our mix (antibiotics, IVIG and homeopathy). Our son is currently on stramonium (spellling?)

One funny thing that we can definitely contribute to the homeopathy is that our son loves to be completely naked (sensory issues) and when we started giving him the stramonium, he started wearing clothes again. When we forgot or gave the remedy a break, he wanted to be naked again. I think this is very interesting.

We are currently working with homeopathy and our current problem is that we have too many variables in our mix (antibiotics, IVIG and homeopathy). Our son is currently on stramonium (spellling?)

One funny thing that we can definitely contribute to the homeopathy is that our son loves to be completely naked (sensory issues) and when we started giving him the stramonium, he started wearing clothes again. When we forgot or gave the remedy a break, he wanted to be naked again. I think this is very interesting.

I have definitely seen some very quick and dramatic changes. My daughter has had very bad sleep problems - with her sleep completely reversed - with her latest remedy, the sleep flipped around in about 2 weeks. Some other changes have been very slow and two steps forward, one step back. I believe OCD is considered a very difficult condition to treat and the treatment would be expected to be slow and take quite some time - often with different remedies being needed at times for different layers of symptoms. Because OCD is not easy to treat, I think it is so important to find a good homeopath who has experience with miasmatic prescribing (prescribing for what we might call genetic predispositions).

Sandy