ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and being hot

kg5123

I like to raise the issue of "hot" condition. There are many posts from parents regarding their PANDAS children complaing of "being hot or sweaty." I have a strong conviction that being hot or sweaty is closely related to a defect in thyroid function.

About one year ago, my 15-year-old Japanese son had severe vocal tics accompanied by a feeling of hotness even in the middle

of winter. A tic doctor advised us to see a thyroid doctor. His TSH (thyroid hormon) reading taken at the thyroid doctor showed he has had acute thyroiditis. The thyroid doctor prescribed β blocker for the son. The prescription instantly proved effective. A few days into taking B blocker, the son'ss sweaty conditions dissipated quickly and his tic symptoms also shifted to mild levels. Combing through literature, we found a document that says that low IGG, which was also a problem for the son, causes autoimmune problems

including mulfunction of the thyroid system. My son also had low IGG and failed on most of 14 pneumo titers, which provided a reason for

monthly IVIG. He has been in a fairly good condition in the past year, aided by monthly IVIG at Dr. B's office. At present, his TSH level is within a normal range and also IGG levels are nornal. My reasoning is that if streps infect the son, he will not be able to launch

counter defense because of low IGG and failed pneumo titers. This will cause autoimmune problems such as attacking the brain's portion governing vocal and motion control and also mulfunction of the thyroid system. And the thyroid system becomes defective, the patients tend to get sweaty or complain of being hot. Thyroiditis is also an autoimmune disease. My instinct is that beta blocker can be a quick fix for thyroid problems. So, I strongly recommend any patient feeling hot should take TSH readings.

My son has been on IVIG treatment every month since one year ago. IVIG has kept his IGG at normal levels, keeping irregular reaction to strep infection and thyroiditis at bay.

I like to raise the issue of "hot" condition. There are many posts from parents regarding their PANDAS children complaing of "being hot or sweaty." I have a strong conviction that being hot or sweaty is closely related to a defect in thyroid function.

About one year ago, my 15-year-old Japanese son had severe vocal tics accompanied by a feeling of hotness even in the middle

of winter. A tic doctor advised us to see a thyroid doctor. His TSH (thyroid hormon) reading taken at the thyroid doctor showed he has had acute thyroiditis. The thyroid doctor prescribed β blocker for the son. The prescription instantly proved effective. A few days into taking B blocker, the son'ss sweaty conditions dissipated quickly and his tic symptoms also shifted to mild levels. Combing through literature, we found a document that says that low IGG, which was also a problem for the son, causes autoimmune problems

including mulfunction of the thyroid system. My son also had low IGG and failed on most of 14 pneumo titers, which provided a reason for

monthly IVIG. He has been in a fairly good condition in the past year, aided by monthly IVIG at Dr. B's office. At present, his TSH level is within a normal range and also IGG levels are nornal. My reasoning is that if streps infect the son, he will not be able to launch

counter defense because of low IGG and failed pneumo titers. This will cause autoimmune problems such as attacking the brain's portion governing vocal and motion control and also mulfunction of the thyroid system. And the thyroid system becomes defective, the patients tend to get sweaty or complain of being hot. Thyroiditis is also an autoimmune disease. My instinct is that beta blocker can be a quick fix for thyroid problems. So, I strongly recommend any patient feeling hot should take TSH readings.

My son has been on IVIG treatment every month since one year ago. IVIG has kept his IGG at normal levels, keeping irregular reaction to strep infection and thyroiditis at bay.

Interesting possible correlation. My son, whose 16, has the "hot" thing going on, too. We just had labs ordered among which are quantitative immunoglobulin levels. If his IGG is low, I'll be looking more closely into thyroid testing. His maternal grandmother has had considerable thyroid issues for years.

Thanks for the good information!

Gat's mom