ACN Latitudes Forums

Guy with tourettes on American Idol tonight

guy123

edit - video in post 2

I don't usually watch the show anymore, but I watched tonight because Neil Patrick Harris was a guest judge and I think he's hilarious on "How I Met Your Mother."

Anyway, on the show tonight, there was this guy on there who had Tourettes. It wasn't anything I would consider extreme... he had a throat clearing tic and some head shakes and facial grimaces, but not really too bad.

They did a little story about him beforehand where he talked about being diagnosed as a kid, and also about how his tics go away when he sings (similar to that drummer on that other show whose tics to away when he plays the drums).

He was a good singer. NPH asked him if he had Tourettes (I thought it was weird to ask that question???) but the guy was cool, he said "yeah, I have Tourettes Syndrome" and the judges all noticed that "it goes away when you sing?!"

Anyway, the guy got through to the next round (Hollywood) so you will probably see him again once the show gets through the preliminary rounds. I believe it was Simon who said "I think people are going to like you" or something to that effect. NPH said he thinks the guy was "brave." (for coming on TV with TS?)

Anyway, it would be cool if he became popular --> spread awareness of TS --> bring to public light --> more funding --> develop cure :)

Of course that's probably wishful thinking, but whatever.

Anyway, I figured this forum might want to know.

edit - Dave Pittman is his name.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit puzzled here Faith :lol:

why wouldnt you want your son watching someone with TS doing something like this and especially with the reinforcement of how tics can often stop during performances or other artistic expression (as my son has also found)

surely your son being exposed to the positive things like this is good?

this is just my thoughts on that....

for some people, the tics are minor and alot of people are oblivious-as i have mentioned and don't notice what are obvious tics to me.

And that is why I say that all Ts is trggered by some illness just that most people wouldn't note the correlation between the illness and the onset.(THe doc's don't know what causes it, i know its considered genetic for some but geneticcally predisposed maybe....you need the trigger....that is what i'm saying, since the doc's wont)( i think everyone here is pandas/pitands that includes celicas and any trigger) So then its not your brain, and its your immune system and takes it out of there is something wrong with your brain in that sense, and that lifts the stigma.

Now, people will go..."oh you have TS"

and just because they will now notice you have something going on (which they may not have noticed before) doesn't mean they'll accept it, now you've got something that science doesn't understands or can fix!

Now, is that something as an individual i want to associate with or get invovled with or marry and have kids with if no one can FIX IT!

I know it's said to be genetic, but the earth was flat, and up until this year, they thought the universe was contracting but now realize it's still expanding.(put that money into ts and other realated reseach)

Chemar i know you tried to show me it can be genetic but i must not be smart enough to see it, i want to see its gene # pi52rs.....i want something like a gene they show for downs or other things that have a specific gene......then i'll buy it, then ill have everyone genecticallly tested so my kids wont have to go through this with their kids, then they can spin the vile so this can stop,

Anyway, that is why we are all here....because except for the few, and those who have found an answerr outside the box, The "doctors" don't know!!!! and it can be debilitating and very socially ostrizing

This is not faith's reply, just my feeling of wanting to slip under the radar.

Now if there is something about yourself that you can hide or fix, your life is much easier.

I'll tell you,,,,a couple of days ago i was trying to play a game with my boy and he was just adjusting everything....i had to stop because i couldn't take the distraction...i can't imagine how he feels, or how someone can be aournd him when he is at his peek(and i love him)......sooooo distracting....so when his tics go away, i feel like if he can find a good woman, that they should not have kids.....and even though there are not word for the love i have for my kids....if i had known that it is genetic and he would have to go through this,i wouldn't have had kids.....i guess because i do love them so much

Ps...2 other shows...one based in Miami one of the guys had a tic and they would cut away, and on the last dancing with the stars...the blonde star dancer, well her fiance had a tic, i noticed they cut away on him too.....its too much for the human senses....people want to be happy and not see others afflictions

Sorry to if i upset anyone.

for some people, the tics are minor and alot of people are oblivious-as i have mentioned and don't notice what are obvious tics to me.

And that is why I say that all Ts is trggered by some illness just that most people wouldn't note the correlation between the illness and the onset.(THe doc's don't know what causes it, i know its considered genetic for some but geneticcally predisposed maybe....you need the trigger....that is what i'm saying, since the doc's wont)( i think everyone here is pandas/pitands that includes celicas and any trigger) So then its not your brain, and its your immune system and takes it out of there is something wrong with your brain in that sense, and that lifts the stigma.

and just because they will now notice you have something going on (which they may not have noticed before) doesn't mean they'll accept it, now you've got something that science doesn't understands or can fix!

Now, is that something as an individual i want to associate with or get invovled with or marry and have kids with if no one can FIX IT!

I know it's said to be genetic, but the earth was flat, and up until this year, they thought the universe was contracting but now realize it's still expanding.(put that money into ts and other realated reseach)

Chemar i know you tried to show me it can be genetic but i must not be smart enough to see it, i want to see its gene # pi52rs.....i want something like a gene they show for downs or other things that have a specific gene......then i'll buy it, then ill have everyone genecticallly tested so my kids wont have to go through this with their kids, then they can spin the vile so this can stop,

"Researchers studying Tourette's syndrome in Germany compared 98 patients with 178 healthy controls. They found an association between the syndrome and the SNP rs4565946 in the gene TPH2. People with two copies of the C version of the SNP had over two times the odds of having Tourette's syndrome compared to those with one C or none."

Source: https://www.23andme.com/health/Tourettes-Syndrome/

Anyway, that is why we are all here....because except for the few, and those who have found an answerr outside the box, The "doctors" don't know!!!! and it can be debilitating and very socially ostrizing

Now if there is something about yourself that you can hide or fix, your life is much easier.

I'll tell you,,,,a couple of days ago i was trying to play a game with my boy and he was just adjusting everything....i had to stop because i couldn't take the distraction...i can't imagine how he feels, or how someone can be aournd him when he is at his peek(and i love him)......sooooo distracting....so when his tics go away, i feel like if he can find a good woman, that they should not have kids.....and even though there are not word for the love i have for my kids....if i had known that it is genetic and he would have to go through this,i wouldn't have had kids.....i guess because i do love them so much

Ps...2 other shows...one based in Miami one of the guys had a tic and they would cut away, and on the last dancing with the stars...the blonde star dancer, well her fiance had a tic, i noticed they cut away on him too.....its too much for the human senses....people want to be happy and not see others afflictions

I kind of agree with what I think you're saying. People don't want to see it. It's why I take medication for mine. It makes life easier and makes dealing with other people easier. Even if they accept it, you're still "that guy with the tic" so you're instantly put in another class from everyone else. People do this unconsciously... even the most open-minded, accepting people in the world still do it subconsciously. It's a survival trait that is implanted in our brains, much like how stereotyping and prejudging are actually survival traits from back in the day when cavemen were trying to not be eaten by wild animals or killed by rival cavemen. The thing is, no one wants to admit that because it's not PC to do so. It's like when people say "oh, no way, I'm not prejudice!" Well, actually, yes you are, unless your brain is malfunctioning.

But anyway, if this guy does well on American Idol, he doesn't seem to be embarrassed or care much about his tic, so maybe it will shed some public light on tics and raise awareness so that people don't just consider TS to be "that disease where you swear really loudly." Public awareness may lead to some sort of research and cure. For example, all the girls fall in love with this guy (as they usually do for the "cute" guy on American Idol) and then they all feel bad for him cuz he's got TS so the gears of the media get into motion cuz "hey, let's cure this guy!" and then some new non-neuroleptic drug gets developed that permanently suppresses tics for life with no side effects!

Or not.

"Researchers studying Tourette's syndrome in Germany compared 98 patients with 178 healthy controls. They found an association between the syndrome and the SNP rs4565946 in the gene TPH2. People with two copies of the C version of the SNP had over two times the odds of having Tourette's syndrome compared to those with one C or none."

Source: https://www.23andme.com/health/Tourettes-Syndrome/

I kind of agree with what I think you're saying. People don't want to see it. It's why I take medication for mine. It makes life easier and makes dealing with other people easier. Even if they accept it, you're still "that guy with the tic" so you're instantly put in another class from everyone else. People do this unconsciously... even the most open-minded, accepting people in the world still do it subconsciously. It's a survival trait that is implanted in our brains, much like how stereotyping and prejudging are actually survival traits from back in the day when cavemen were trying to not be eaten by wild animals or killed by rival cavemen. The thing is, no one wants to admit that because it's not PC to do so. It's like when people say "oh, no way, I'm not prejudice!" Well, actually, yes you are, unless your brain is malfunctioning.

But anyway, if this guy does well on American Idol, he doesn't seem to be embarrassed or care much about his tic, so maybe it will shed some public light on tics and raise awareness so that people don't just consider TS to be "that disease where you swear really loudly." Public awareness may lead to some sort of research and cure. For example, all the girls fall in love with this guy (as they usually do for the "cute" guy on American Idol) and then they all feel bad for him cuz he's got TS so the gears of the media get into motion cuz "hey, let's cure this guy!" and then some new non-neuroleptic drug gets developed that permanently suppresses tics for life with no side effects!

Or not.<<<<<<<<<DELETE

I like how you think zans the last 2 words.

Ok it's weird how i put "rs" in my made up gene....

I haven't read the link, can we get tested? So is it an odds thing? cause 2'x more likely out of 1000 people isn't bad. and if runs in families then it should be in that group, right, and thats where the cluster of these genes should lay..

..where it said more likely.......does that mean there were people who had both that didn't express it....?

......so it's not a gene like downs where if you have it you express it?

.....so you are more predisposed?

Maybe we should have a thread labled, "CONFESSIONS" I know I have a lot.

I thought I would share this: My oldest dd last summer was working on a college essay that had to be about someone who impacted her with some life changing experience.

She titled it, "Two People and One Disorder" her essay was so profound to me because I was able to read how my non-TS child witnessed the physical aspect and emotional aspect of Tourettes.

She is so personally proud of her brother who in her eyes, silently accepted his suffering. She saw me as an emotional rollercoaster, but watched me pick myself up. She listed a litany of accomplishments her brother and myself had to overcome to unlock the shackles that kept us socially awkward.

It was a beautiful essay and I was so proud of her that 4 years ago at 14yo she was able to see how two people she loved suffer, one physically the other emotionally.

She ended her essay with, "Let his light shine." To honer her brother's accomplishments.

CP

edit - video in post 2

He was a good singer. NPH asked him if he had Tourettes (I thought it was weird to ask that question???) but the guy was cool, he said "yeah, I have Tourettes Syndrome" and the judges all noticed that "it goes away when you sing?!"

Anyway, the guy got through to the next round (Hollywood) so you will probably see him again once the show gets through the preliminary rounds. I believe it was Simon who said "I think people are going to like you" or something to that effect. NPH said he thinks the guy was "brave." (for coming on TV with TS?)

I missed the actual show but saw the clip on YouTube. Personally, I did not really care for the way NPH spoke to Dave Pittman. To me,he was unnecessarily pointing out the tics and the way he basically seemed surprised that someone with TS would not only be there, but be there doing very well, I might add! Maybe I'm just defensive? Idk... Nonetheless, I'm super proud of Dave and I hope he makes it!!

I thought I would share this: My oldest dd last summer was working on a college essay that had to be about someone who impacted her with some life changing experience.

She titled it, "Two People and One Disorder" her essay was so profound to me because I was able to read how my non-TS child witnessed the physical aspect and emotional aspect of Tourettes.

She is so personally proud of her brother who in her eyes, silently accepted his suffering. She saw me as an emotional rollercoaster, but watched me pick myself up. She listed a litany of accomplishments her brother and myself had to overcome to unlock the shackles that kept us socially awkward.

It was a beautiful essay and I was so proud of her that 4 years ago at 14yo she was able to see how two people she loved suffer, one physically the other emotionally.

She ended her essay with, "Let his light shine." To honer her brother's accomplishments.

CP

Your post made me cry right on the spot. There are times my 4 year old has this look in her eye whenever I go to her brother and give him so much attention. She probably wonders why I don't give her such attention as I give my son. I just feel that if he needs anything I am by him always. My daughter is much more independent and strong willed that I feel that she could handle things well. Yes she does she me being all emotional and my son doing his things. It made me realize (not that I didn't before) that this affects her also. I just want to go give her a big hug right now!! I pray that at 4 1/2 she will not start showing signs.

Mar

I missed the actual show but saw the clip on YouTube. Personally, I did not really care for the way NPH spoke to Dave Pittman. To me,he was unnecessarily pointing out the tics and the way he basically seemed surprised that someone with TS would not only be there, but be there doing very well, I might add! Maybe I'm just defensive? Idk... Nonetheless, I'm super proud of Dave and I hope he makes it!!

No, I agree with you. Saying "elephant in the room... do you have Tourettes?" or whatever he said wasn't the most polite way to approach the subject. That being said, it's not like it's terribly common so maybe he didn't know how to approach it.

I mean... there's only two other possibilities:

1) The person who has TS announces it beforehand.

2) Everyone ignores it (awkward for everyone, because then the person with TS is wondering "do they notice? Do they notice? Am I ticcing a lot? Is it distracting them?" and the other people are wondering "what is going on? Should I say anything? Why does he keep doing that? Does he know he's doing that? That's weird." and can't focus on whatever the person with TS is doing and/or talking about)

So I still agree with you. "Do you have Tourettes?" is weird, but... how else was he supposed to ask it? I guess it's better than saying "why do you keep doing [insert tic] all the time?" Or maybe it's not, as at least that question could yield an answer of "oh, I have Tourettes."

I think it was staged. They wanted to point out that he had tourettes so they had them ask him if he had it. I'm sure it was talked about to him before the judges even met with him. Just my opinion. It definitely could have been done in a more polite way though...

No, I agree with you. Saying "elephant in the room... do you have Tourettes?" or whatever he said wasn't the most polite way to approach the subject. That being said, it's not like it's terribly common so maybe he didn't know how to approach it.

I mean... there's only two other possibilities:

1) The person who has TS announces it beforehand.

2) Everyone ignores it (awkward for everyone, because then the person with TS is wondering "do they notice? Do they notice? Am I ticcing a lot? Is it distracting them?" and the other people are wondering "what is going on? Should I say anything? Why does he keep doing that? Does he know he's doing that? That's weird." and can't focus on whatever the person with TS is doing and/or talking about)

So I still agree with you. "Do you have Tourettes?" is weird, but... how else was he supposed to ask it? I guess it's better than saying "why do you keep doing [insert tic] all the time?" Or maybe it's not, as at least that question could yield an answer of "oh, I have Tourettes."

CP

(((((((((((((((((((CP))))))))))))))))))))))) :)

we have never hidden from TS nor tried to hide that my son has it

that approach has made him able to cope with it far better IMHO.

I look at this exceptional 20yo today and think back to when we started this challenging journey and I just glow with pride at the young man he has become

My husband reflects on his own childhood, when he was punished for the "habits", and ridiculed endlessly because his mother refused to acknowledge to anyone that he had a disorder. So he became a recluse and suffered much psychological trauma, both from not understanding what was going on in himself, nor in being able to openly talk about it with his parents or others. Especially as his dad and grandpa clearly had TS too!!

I will forever be thankful that I saw that message on "It's Ok To Tic" by Lara near the start of our journey with TS.

Fixit, altho there are documented genetic studies available, like the one Guy referred to (I did also recommend you get the details from the TSA)...................

I really dont need a study to show me the genetic link in our family. Four generations of males clearly exhibiting TS is proof enough for me.

returning to the topic...yup, people tend to be very ignorant and less than tactful about TS....but whenever there is a chance for another talented person with TS to advocate and educate, that is soooo good

I dont ever watch American Idol, but I think I will tune in just to see this young man :)