ACN Latitudes Forums

Non PANDAS son has Mycroplasma

So, I find out that a kid in my non PANDAS son's class has strep. I bring my son to the ped for a strep test to make sure he didn't contract it. He's non-symptomatic with strep. The rapid came back negative, they will run a culture.

He also has had a cough for about a week and figured it was allergies and sinus drainage causing the cough. Instead, the ped said he has mycroplasma! He is contagious right now. He shares a bedrom with my PANDAS son. Obviously, the will not share a room tonight.

Are my other 2 kids in the clear as long as they don't have a cough? My PANDAS son has a sinus infection but no cough. I know the Augmentin wouldn't protect him from Mycroplasma. I am freaking out. The ped said not to bring the other 2 in unless they develop a cough.My non PANDAS son recieved 5 days of Zithromax.

Side note, a bunch of kids in my PANDAS son class has a cough. I now have a headache.

Good thing, non PANDAS son not showing any PANDAS symptoms. Will contnue to watch with an eagle's eye.

So, I find out that a kid in my non PANDAS son's class has strep. I bring my son to the ped for a strep test to make sure he didn't contract it. He's non-symptomatic with strep. The rapid came back negative, they will run a culture.

He also has had a cough for about a week and figured it was allergies and sinus drainage causing the cough. Instead, the ped said he has mycroplasma! He is contagious right now. He shares a bedrom with my PANDAS son. Obviously, the will not share a room tonight.

Are my other 2 kids in the clear as long as they don't have a cough? My PANDAS son has a sinus infection but no cough. I know the Augmentin wouldn't protect him from Mycroplasma. I am freaking out. The ped said not to bring the other 2 in unless they develop a cough.My non PANDAS son recieved 5 days of Zithromax.

Side note, a bunch of kids in my PANDAS son class has a cough. I now have a headache.

Good thing, non PANDAS son not showing any PANDAS symptoms. Will contnue to watch with an eagle's eye.

Is Azith the best treatment for mycoplasma? Given the way your PANDAS son could react to mycoplasma, won't your ped see fit to treat him with a prophylactic abx?

I believe somone said it's walking pneumonia? My hubby took him to the doc, so I wasn't able to ask my million questions. How I wish I was the one who took him...

All my son had was a cough. The doctor said it was a diffrent cough, but I didn't recognize it as a different cough. It settled in his lungs. I really thought it was drainage causing it. If that boy didn't have strep, I would have never taken my son to the doctor.

Also, in Ohio they are very strict about antibiotics. So they would not give Azith to my PANDAS son unless he has it too.

From what I've read here, Azith is what erradicates Mycroplasma. Amox, Augmentin, etc will not.

The ped said he's seen a lot of it recently.

can anyone explain to me what mycoplasma is? i've googled it but can't seem to understand - another type of bacteria? a changed bacteria?

thanks.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_pneumoniae

The trouble with googling is that mycoplasma w/o the pneumonia is something different, and the disease and the organism have different spellings.