ACN Latitudes Forums

TMJ/Splints/Dr Sims

lfran

Hi all.

I know there were a lot of posts in the summer and early fall about people who were trying splints for TMJ to reduce tics. I remember that some people had a lot of success and others had almost no success.

I am considering trying this route and was hoping that the people who had initial success might post a brief update as to whether they are still thinking that the splints were a helpful route to go.

Thanks so much!

-- Liane

If you can get ahold of Doxie she is having great success. But they are pretty busy being happy, so i'm don't think she even comes to the board anymore.

I'm going to dr G....and i've had a consult with drS

Both are charming guys who really do care. But...i think it is still a bit of a hit and miss especially as the kid keeps growing and until the techniques is perfected. till the can get machines to say you need it 1/2 of mm to the right or up or down..Doxie's boy is i think 15 going on 16. i'm gonna correct myself again...there was a mom i talked to and so has doxie, her boy was9-10 and things were medium to bad, things aren't gone, gone but not noticable to anyone but her and her son. S0 YAEH for the them. Doxie and i see dr G and i think the other lady goes to dr Sims(

on the machines note did anyone see how atheletes are getting very similar mouth pieces, for their tmj, to improve their performance...so interesting!!!!!!!!

we just had new pieces made and adjusted 1/21 and we are waiting...thinngs are actually ok right now... my boy has a history of teeth issues, but i also know he has allergy issues and pretty sure salicylates(maybe yeast) are an issue and i am following pandas as well,,,,,before this occurance my ds would completely remit after 3-4 weeks on antibiotis....last run i had 5 months with nothing...but he hasn't seemd to have strep(that i cuold find in about 2 years) though he is ALWAYS sick when the tics start , even this time.

Now my boy does seem to ramp up 2-3 days after an adjustment........so if it effects it in a bad way, that means its effecting it....so that would mean to me, that we need to find the adjustment that bringns it down...Doxie said her boy seemd worse the 1st week after if i'm right.

Oh and it's only like the videos for some...all the docs say it takes a few weeks for all the nerves to settle down.

Hope that helps...you can call and actually speak to the doctors or email them...they are pretty open

For me, what it has done for me continues to be very stable, what it was just 1 week after I got the splint. It really reduces anxious/nervous tension, reduced heartrate by about 10-15 beats per minute. I had a bad cancer sore a month or so ago, it would not heal with the splint in my mouth because of the rubbing, and the increased anxious/nervous/heartrate symptoms all came back after a couple days, and then were reduced again after I finally got to put it back in. But, I still have a lot of serious TS-related issues, and it now looks like PANDAS, and I am pursuing that avenue at this time.

Michael

Forgot to mention, while I think/hope the PANDAS route will give relief with the biggest and most important symptoms, I am continuing the route of other structural improvements to the body, since the TMJ splint helped some. I am going to St. John Clark Pain Treatment Center in Clearwater Florida. It is a very unique approach to fixing spine and muscles and has helped quite a bit with some issues, TS-related and not--eyesight and spasms. While it can't be convenient for most, given the location, they have trained other practitioners across the country and beyond in their approach, and you can get a referral to a local doctor by calling them. Amazing place! I strongly recommend them (way over any chiropractor) to anyone looking for structural improvements, TS or not.

Michael

Forgot to mention, while I think/hope the PANDAS route will give relief with the biggest and most important symptoms, I am continuing the route of other structural improvements to the body, since the TMJ splint helped some. I am going to St. John Clark Pain Treatment Center in Clearwater Florida. It is a very unique approach to fixing spine and muscles and has helped quite a bit with some issues, TS-related and not--eyesight and spasms. While it can't be convenient for most, given the location, they have trained other practitioners across the country and beyond in their approach, and you can get a referral to a local doctor by calling them. Amazing place! I strongly recommend them (way over any chiropractor) to anyone looking for structural improvements, TS or not.

Michael

Hi Micheal,

i forget abou that stuff ie arches spine , i think about it then i forget ...so loaded at looking at the other stuff.....

my boy does have spinal posture issues and constant neck spasm....

do you have phone number, like to find someone in GA

(To all....I don't mean to make it sound like my son a wheezing, malnutritioned, invalid He runs and plays and is such an interesting, tall and handsome kid.....but all of these littling things for some mean nothing and for others its quite taxing....allergies, neck spasms, strep,strep again, again and again, teeth, and more teeth, salicilaytes, head injuries)

Fixit,

The number for St. John Clark Pain Treatment Center in Clearwater Florida is 727-347-4327. They are the ones that developed this technique and have trained others. They tell me they are happy to refer out-of-towners to people local to them that they have trained. I would recommend calling them. If you're really more comfortable with me calling them, I'd do that for you, but if you're up to it, it's probably better if you call them yourself. You can talk about where exactly in Georgia, and it's also possible that your son's specific situation would lead them to recommend one practitioner versus another one.

Michael