ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin XR, Azith, PenVK

PKM

If Pen VK is supposed to be the antibiotic of choice for strep - why does it seem that Augmentin and Azith work better for children with PANDAS?? Also, does anyone know if Augmentin and Azith are as good as Pen VK at preventing any possible new strep infections?

Just trying to wrap my head around this a little better. My son was diagnosed with Sydenham's (I really think Sydenham's / PANDAS fall within the same spectrum) about one year ago. He is on Pen VK prophilactically. He had been doing really well but he has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. He has had 4 viruses in the last 6 weeks and his body has just not been able to cope very well with the last 2 viruses. I am wondering if we should switch him to Augmentin XR but I am just not sure.

Any thoughts / insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Someone else here on the forum has posited that perhaps higher-dose abx like Augmentin XR 1,000 mg. have an anti-imflammatory affect which is positive with respect to PANDAS. Maybe that contributes?

One thing I feel good about, particularly with XR, is that it is time-release, so the drug actually stays active in his system longer. So I feel as though he's getting more consistent coverage/attack power against the strep.

Someone else here on the forum has posited that perhaps higher-dose abx like Augmentin XR 1,000 mg. have an anti-imflammatory affect which is positive with respect to PANDAS. Maybe that contributes?

One thing I feel good about, particularly with XR, is that it is time-release, so the drug actually stays active in his system longer. So I feel as though he's getting more consistent coverage/attack power against the strep.

I believe the anti-inflammatory effects of antibiotics is what we have seen to be of help.

Our d's moderate to severe OCD issues (and mild facial tics) were "substantially diminished" with use of 10 days of antibiotics (FULL strength) for at least 5 different exacerbations.

We finally kept her on full strength--and it has been now over a year--she has had a very mild flair of OCD "feelings" when "sick" once...otherwise, nothing essentially,

I do know one of the original Ps researchers, who we saw early on, made it very clear--when I called excited that Amoxicillan seemed to be affecting her OCD within 24 hours(!!!)--The doctor made it very clear that YES that was possible as Amoxicillan had been shown to have ANTI-INFLAMMATORY effects in NIH research that was never published--hmmmmm.... I do not remember anything being said about prevention.