ACN Latitudes Forums

impulse and vocals

michele

What has been other people's experience with impulse and self control issues and vocal tics in kids? My 8 yr old has tics that seem to wax and change with illness. They originally came out after strep throat PANDAS, but now even get worse after illness and fevers. Lately after he was sick 1-9-10- 1-11-10 he seems to be saying alot of impulsive potty talk. Is this common with tourettes in younger kids or is this impulse issues from ADHD? He talks alot about privates and sexual things. I am wondering what to do about it? He takes tenex for tics and the blinking and cracking is improved. Would these be verbal tics or behavioral? His noises are better too. He used to echo and make throat screeches more then he does now. However he is constantly having behavioral issues where he argues and says inappropriate words like butt, weiner, sex, boobs, and grabs at himself, even some . Any ideas here? His anger is better on risperdal. Also he takes prozac which has calmed obsessions and compulsions a bit. He really had a bad night last night with behaviors which had been getting better before the illness. I called the psychiatrist but am waiting to hear back. Do some kids here have behavior trouble with the tourettes? We were thinking he had aspergers because of the anger and short fuse and social trouble but am wondering what to make of this latest problem? Do aspegers kids have these issues with talking inappropriately?

Hi michele,

I am inclined to think this is more jus the phase type thing that boys at this age go thru. I don't see it as verbal tics unless he is repeating one word or phrase over and over. I dont think this is something that is a tourettes behavior either. does he think this is all funny? my son is 10 now, and I know he and his friends get a kick out of saying words they know are funny and they shouldn't be saying. I don't see it constantly, but they manage to get their kicks, when they first learn the word penis, its a riot to them. and somehow my son learned the word, get this "Fagina"...lol, that's how he heard it, so he'll tell me, mom I know what a "Fagina" is.....I don't correct him, I like to leave him in the dark, lol.

Really I think you might be reading too much into it, he's probably at that age when they first start hearing this stuff, they know its not acceptable in school or at home, but they try to push the limit. What does he do when you admonish him? I would just be like "hey, we don't say that, its not polite", and go from there. Once he sees its not that funny to anyone else, he'll probably get over the phase.

hope that helps.

Faith

Okay thanks. I just worry about the impulse. It is like he acts so annoying without ever filtering anything first. He irritates the heck out of the other kids plus I have a two year old telling everyone to shut up stupid and I hate you because she gets it from him. He drives everyone crazy with the behaviors. Maybe it is for atttention. I will have to see. Maybe he picked it up on the bus. I wrote his teacher a note so it should be interesting. He seems very hyperfocused on this "bad" stuff though. I am wondering if it is an obsession?

Hi michele,

I am inclined to think this is more jus the phase type thing that boys at this age go thru. I don't see it as verbal tics unless he is repeating one word or phrase over and over. I dont think this is something that is a tourettes behavior either. does he think this is all funny? my son is 10 now, and I know he and his friends get a kick out of saying words they know are funny and they shouldn't be saying. I don't see it constantly, but they manage to get their kicks, when they first learn the word penis, its a riot to them. and somehow my son learned the word, get this "Fagina"...lol, that's how he heard it, so he'll tell me, mom I know what a "Fagina" is.....I don't correct him, I like to leave him in the dark, lol.

Really I think you might be reading too much into it, he's probably at that age when they first start hearing this stuff, they know its not acceptable in school or at home, but they try to push the limit. What does he do when you admonish him? I would just be like "hey, we don't say that, its not polite", and go from there. Once he sees its not that funny to anyone else, he'll probably get over the phase.

hope that helps.

Faith

Michele

this "dirty talk" actually can be tic manifestation, pretty much like the coprolalia ie cussing tic often involves saying inappropriate things

these also can involve tourettic OCD where the tics and OCD are morphing

I agree with Faith that there is also the kids being kids and boys at certain ages component...but there is also recognized tic/OCD stuff in this area

I remember it all too well!! :)^_^