ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anybody know anywhere online shopping

CZL

I too would consider ordering them if I couldnt get my ped to cooperate... she is good with giving the anitbiotics when there is illness or illness in the family but hesitant about the long term use... we go again on Wed and I plan to have the conversation about how far she is willing to go with helping my son & daughter... if she will keep them on long term antibiotics or work to find out which one works best... then depending on her answer I might mention the internet... But I am do admit there is a fear I have about black market drugs....

Now I'm just curious, sorry if this is a dumb question and has been addressed before.

but if the XR is supposed to be better because its a high dose without too much of the clav acid, (and that's why the regular augmentin isn't good to go with higher doses, because you don't want the too much clav acid)....

then, what about just plain amoxycilin? if augmentin is amoxy plus the clav, then why not just use the amoxy (which doesn't have the clav)?

don't know if that makes sense, but I wonder? what do you all think? or am I missing something?

Faith

Now I'm just curious, sorry if this is a dumb question and has been addressed before.

but if the XR is supposed to be better because its a high dose without too much of the clav acid, (and that's why the regular augmentin isn't good to go with higher doses, because you don't want the too much clav acid)....

then, what about just plain amoxycilin? if augmentin is amoxy plus the clav, then why not just use the amoxy (which doesn't have the clav)?

don't know if that makes sense, but I wonder? what do you all think? or am I missing something?

Faith

the clav makes the ammox stay in the system longer, thereby being more effective. (let me clarify...that is what I thought. I could be wrong)

Angela

Faith

the clav makes the ammox stay in the system longer, thereby being more effective.

Angela

Also, I don't know if it's the clav that makes the XR "time release" or not, but given the experiences we've had and those I see elsewhere on the forum (particularly WorriedDad), I've got to believe that the "time release" component is a substantial one in this whole mix. If the medicine stays active in the system/bloodstream more consistently from dose to dose, then there's less opportunity for the "bad stuff" to procreate, attack, etc. Right?

I was doing some googling the other day and came acoss a new time release amoxicillin called MOXATAG, which other then Augmentin XR is the only time release amox. The pill is prescribed as a once a day for Strep at 775mg per dose. I have long wondered if the reason that Augmentin XR and Azithromyicn seem to be the most effective antibioitcs for PANDAS is entirely due to the fact that they are the ones that remain in the blood the longest. Azith has a very long half life, 68 hours or something, and XR is extended release. Regular amox, penicillin, and other macrolides peak pretty quickly and then dissapate rapidly. For my son, we feel strongly that he is in an ongoing battle with strep. Anytime he has no antibiotic in his system, seems to me, that his immune system would have to take over and create the dreaded antibodies.

I think it might be worth a try to give this new medicine a shot. For what it is worth, clavulinic acid doesn't really play any role in fighting strep. What it does is prevent other non GABHS bacteria from producing an enzyme called Beta Lactamase , making those bacteria susceptible to penicillin class drugs when they normally wouldn't be. GABHS has no resistance of it's own to penicillin/ amoxicllin. There's more to it but that is the gist.

To help make my case I'll point out that Augmentin XR, the way our kids are taking it, has half the clavulinic acid of regular Augmentin, but seemingly works better for PANDAS, indicating that it is not the clav acid in the XR that is doing the trick. The extended release portion of the XR is straight amox.

This new medicine is prescribed as a once a day but looking at the literature, it is completely gone from the blood PLASMA after 16 hours or so and at a prettly low level after 12. Two pills a day would guarantee constant coverage and still result in less total amoxiciilin, 1500mg per day, then the two Augmentin XR's kids are taking, and have none of the Clav acid, which can be pretty hard on the body. The website says the medicine is for people 12 years and older, but Augmentin XR is supposedly not for kids either. I am tempted to ask for it at our next appt. Here is the link. if anyone is interested. www.moxatag.com/

Alex