ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin question

ds16 has had 2 full days of Augmentin 1000 mg XR twice daily (he's also on day 12 of azith). He's still having a couple episodes of anxiety when one of his triggers is present but it has not spun into a full panic attack. This is unusual for him. Typically once the wheels get set into motion, he's unable to wrestle the anxiety down until we go through the full spectrum including the panic attack. There appears to be a lessening in the severity of the anxiety. I'm hopeful that this is indicative of augmentin doing its job. Can an abx switch (to augmentin) produce a result that quickly in a child who was 5 wks into an exacerbation before starting treatment?

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.

YES! And I am so glad you are showing early positive signs! Give it another 3 days & then call it a sucessful intervention. And by the way, 5 weeks is EARLY! I am embarrassed by all you guys that are "on it" so early in the disease. That's what antibiotics did for us - stopping the "slam against the back of the head anxiety" and turned it into stuff that could be dealt with. Hope to hear this continues.

YES! And I am so glad you are showing early positive signs! Give it another 3 days & then call it a sucessful intervention. And by the way, 5 weeks is EARLY! I am embarrassed by all you guys that are "on it" so early in the disease. That's what antibiotics did for us - stopping the "slam against the back of the head anxiety" and turned it into stuff that could be dealt with. Hope to hear this continues.

Thank you! I was hoping I wasn't just looking at everything through rose colored glasses. We are only "on it" this quickly because of this group and leads to docs like Dr. T. The previous episodes went improperly treated even when they were properly diagnosed...ugh! Those days are gone. We're smarter and stronger now. You really nailed it with the "turned into stuff that could be dealt with" truth. Thanks so much for taking a minute to respond!

ds16 has had 2 full days of Augmentin 1000 mg XR twice daily (he's also on day 12 of azith). He's still having a couple episodes of anxiety when one of his triggers is present but it has not spun into a full panic attack. This is unusual for him. Typically once the wheels get set into motion, he's unable to wrestle the anxiety down until we go through the full spectrum including the panic attack. There appears to be a lessening in the severity of the anxiety. I'm hopeful that this is indicative of augmentin doing its job. Can an abx switch (to augmentin) produce a result that quickly in a child who was 5 wks into an exacerbation before starting treatment?

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.

Yes! We see this, too when the right abx at the right strength is given- we see some blips but the intensity goes way down.

Another ditto here! I'm sorry to say that our DS12's exacerbation had gone on for closer to 5 MONTHS before we intervened with abx, and we saw results in TWO DAYS! That's not to say that they all "stuck;" we're still going through the saw-toothed recovery nearly 3 months later. But as you've noted, the meltdowns get less severe, shorter, and more easily recovered from. It's practically a miracle! :wacko:

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.

Perhaps sawtoothed will be our word for today. After another good morning, took him for bloodwork which over the years has never been an issue for him but recently has become one. No go! It was horrible but I suspect it was because he was so far from his comfort zone and with the last 2 days of healing notwithstanding, he's been a very sick kid for a couple weeks. After a failed attempt at getting him in the chair, he was furious at himself & life (again). However, once we got back home he recovered quicker than I've ever seen from a panic to that degree. It was a really horrific afternoon BUT there is clearly a change in how he's rebounding after a bout of anxiety (mild or, as in today, severe). I credit 2.5 days of Augmentin and we'll soldier on and try to put this afternoon behind us.

Thanks SO much everyone for your input!