ACN Latitudes Forums

silly noises.. not tics

ajcire

I really never thought of it from a pandas point till just now...

My ds's tics that I know of are his eye blink and throat clearing..both gone right now.. but he has always been that kid who has to make noises (at home.. really not out or at school)... he incooporates it into his play so I just assumed he was just making irritating noises while he plays.. changes his voice in a silly way that stuff but it he really makes it a form of play.. I find myself telling him all the time to stop the noises.... which is why it just hit me that maybe this is something he's just doing and then when I draw his attention to it he is aware..

Meaning, if I ask him if he is making a noise on purpose or not he will say yes... he is. but could that be because if he is just doing it he figures he is choosing to? Doesn't really get the question? He's 7.

He has always been a kid who claps his hands loud and fast if he gets really angry or frustrated at us or his siblings.. not at anyone else... but maybe we are the only ones who make him mad :P He used to beat his chest when mad or hit his head.. still sometimes hits his legs... It's not something that is a big deal just something that drives me nuts when he does it.. meaning nobody but me is seeing it or paying attention to it... he doesn't do it out.. I used to think it was just his way to vent anger without hitting someone else...

Is this likely related to pandas or just personality/maybe sensory?

While I am at it... sometimes he holds his hands funny... I can't think of a polite way to describe it but I imagine that others see it and think it is weird.. he does do that out sometimes.... not just totally out of the blue that he does it but it will be when he is responding to something... he makes it seem like it's his way of being silly but the more attention I pay..

OK. he just blurted out Woo Woo woo while playing with is little brother.. I asked why and he said, I just felt like it. I love making noises. That wasn't helpful.

when we ha my son in therapy a few years ago the OT therapist was helping him with sensory issues and then PANDAS hit and she helped with the rebound as well.... but my son is always making noise... sounds for every thing... when in therapy I asked the OT and the psychologist at the time and they both said that sometimes kids with sensory issues use sound ie. noise to help them be comfortable in their environment.... My son is 9 now and he still does the noise thing from time to time... but it has gotten better... the OT really helped him a LOT!.... also the noises get worse during exasperation periods...