ACN Latitudes Forums

huge panic

Gat's Mom --

On a previous "Augmentin XR" thread here, it was noted that XR should be given immediately before a meal, as opposed to after it. I've not circled back around to research the efficacy of that, or to see why it might be the case. But our DS12 is very sensitive to stomach and elimination issues, also, and we're finding that taking the XR before he has his meal, eating, then taking his other supplements, and giving him probiotics in between XR doses, is working well now. We're also big on bananas and apple sauce because he's more afraid of diarrhea than he is of vomiting, and the diarrhea seems to be the more eminent threat for him, typically.

It is hard to sometimes remember those harsh words that come out of their mouths is PANDAS talking, not our "real" kids.

If it means anything, I think all our kids have Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde syndrome. My son did the same. One minute he wanted to die , even used those words. he'd say how he hated me and would hit,kick, etc. Then ...bam....all lovely hugging, etc. One time I even asked if it was him. I was thinking split personality.

As for anxiety, my son's would reach a limit two different ways. One was when he was in the middle of an excaerbation and he had the big contamination fear. If he thought he saw you possibly touch your face, he'd go over the top freaking out. Then he had during recovery, extinction bursts of anxiety when we would try to get him to overcome an OCD habit/ritual and that building anxiety can be very overwhelming. Unfortunately, sometimes you do have to ride them out. When a child or teen is in an exacerbation, reason is gone. You can't explain to them why what they are doing doesn't make sense. You can't threaten them with ultimatums.

If you think it's stomach issues, be careful with the Ibuprofen. Make sure that is taken with something like milk so it coats the stomach. I give my son Ibuprofen with his antibiotics as well.

He had the abx today 30 mins after a good hot lunch. Tonight's will be after some ice cream, just to make sure. Yeah, it was a little tough to hear out of him today, "You're not doing anything to help me!!" ugh. I do know, though, that he is sick. There's never been a question in my mind about that. No typical teen behavior can hold a candle to a PANDAS episode!

Do watch how much apple sauce and apple juice you give. That can change their bowel movements.

Gat's Mom --

On a previous "Augmentin XR" thread here, it was noted that XR should be given immediately before a meal, as opposed to after it. I've not circled back around to research the efficacy of that, or to see why it might be the case. But our DS12 is very sensitive to stomach and elimination issues, also, and we're finding that taking the XR before he has his meal, eating, then taking his other supplements, and giving him probiotics in between XR doses, is working well now. We're also big on bananas and apple sauce because he's more afraid of diarrhea than he is of vomiting, and the diarrhea seems to be the more eminent threat for him, typically.

Do watch how much apple sauce and apple juice you give. That can change their bowel movements.

Gat's Mom --

Yes, but in our case, it's been for the better!

When episodes were the worst, we found that certain foods would trigger panic or anxiety in our son. Seems dairy and gluten were big triggers for him. We had to check ingredients carefully!

We are all but gluten free around here now, an easier transition than I thought it would be happily. He doesn't do a lot of dairy by choice, yogurt is what he likes and I'm happy for the probiotic content. He's boycotted cereal with milk in the morning again and I guess that's probably for the best right now. I know when he's not in an episode, no foods bring him down. He eats like a horse and has no negative backlash to anything.

Thanks for your input!

Gat's Mom --

Thank you! I will try this today with XR dosing. I have now come to believe that what he had yesterday might have been some legitimate stomach pain due to a stomach bug that is going around and half our county has presently. Last night at 11:30 he started complaining of stomach pain again. I jumped quickly to Klonopin and Phenergen to stave off a panic attack. He was nervous but it never evolved to something horrible. I sat with him in his bed watching tv til 1a afterwhich he went to sleep. He saw his little girlfriend on Tuesday and sure enough, Wednesday she came down with it. He's been fretting about that fact all week and I think we might have been seeing a little of that bug here yesterday.

Regardless, I have a new plan for XR dosing. I have been waking him up early in the morning to get probiotics into him on an empty stomach. He rolls right over and goes back to sleep. Tonight I'll be getting up in the middle of the night for a probiotics dose, then again early morning. I know I have a kid with a propensity toward yeast so I really need high dose probiotics that aren't interfering with our long awaited abx dosing. I'll put the advil in the dosing right after the meal.

Thank again, so much for chiming in!

Gat's mom.

My ds16 is 5 wks into this episode, his third major one since age 8. first, 8 days of azith 500, 2 days ago that was up'd to 750mg. Began Augmentin 1000mg XR today at 1p.

For the past 3 days at 2:45p (umm, exactly) he has had a huge panic attack, today's lasted nearly 2 hrs despite Klonopin .5mg which normally helps him immensely. During the panic he has stiff jerky movements, rage, and utter panic because his stomach hurts and his biggest fear in life is throwing up.

He hasn't been engaged in the same activity for any of the past 3 days at 2:45 and is actually quite unaware of the time of day, so I'm completely confused as to what might be happening, seems an awfully big coincidence. This is our first big abx trial and I've never prayed harder or more diligently for anything in my life. A huge profile of bloodwork is being drawn on Monday including the Cunningham tests.

Does anyone else with an older kid have separation anxiety and contamination fears as their catalyst to overwhelmiing anxiety? If so, can you offer any advice or guidance? I haven't been to work in a week, I can't keep this up for long financially and I can't seem to stop crying which isn't helping anything.

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.

I am sorry I don't have any ideas of what is happening with the panic attacks, but I wanted to let you know that my daughter is 19 with high anxiety and one of her biggest fears also that presented when this all began was the fear of throwing up. She has a lot of separationg anxiety. She has been treated wtih augmentin for the past 28 days and is feeling better but I will say that she did experience some panic during that time where she became somewhat dizzy and then just didn't feel well and the panic set in, it happend about 3 times while she was being treated with the augmentin and were short lived episodes. We are seeing how she is feeling off the augmentin now, she feels better but it is hard to tell stomach wise since the augmentin seemed to bother her stomach some, she wants to see how she feels without taking anything for a bit and see where her level of anixety is at this point. sorry I didn't have anything helpful for you here but thought maybe knowing about the throwing up and anxiety at an older age might be a bit comforting knowing you are not alone. I cried too, lots of time when I got out of the house on my own, it's a release.

My ds16 is 5 wks into this episode, his third major one since age 8. first, 8 days of azith 500, 2 days ago that was up'd to 750mg. Began Augmentin 1000mg XR today at 1p.

For the past 3 days at 2:45p (umm, exactly) he has had a huge panic attack, today's lasted nearly 2 hrs despite Klonopin .5mg which normally helps him immensely. During the panic he has stiff jerky movements, rage, and utter panic because his stomach hurts and his biggest fear in life is throwing up.

He hasn't been engaged in the same activity for any of the past 3 days at 2:45 and is actually quite unaware of the time of day, so I'm completely confused as to what might be happening, seems an awfully big coincidence. This is our first big abx trial and I've never prayed harder or more diligently for anything in my life. A huge profile of bloodwork is being drawn on Monday including the Cunningham tests.

Does anyone else with an older kid have separation anxiety and contamination fears as their catalyst to overwhelmiing anxiety? If so, can you offer any advice or guidance? I haven't been to work in a week, I can't keep this up for long financially and I can't seem to stop crying which isn't helping anything.

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.

It is very comforting though I hate the thought of another family going through this. I've been through it twice before without this board. I'm so thankful, even in the worst moments, for this group. It makes so much difference in my day to day life.

Thank you!

I am sorry I don't have any ideas of what is happening with the panic attacks, but I wanted to let you know that my daughter is 19 with high anxiety and one of her biggest fears also that presented when this all began was the fear of throwing up. She has a lot of separationg anxiety. She has been treated wtih augmentin for the past 28 days and is feeling better but I will say that she did experience some panic during that time where she became somewhat dizzy and then just didn't feel well and the panic set in, it happend about 3 times while she was being treated with the augmentin and were short lived episodes. We are seeing how she is feeling off the augmentin now, she feels better but it is hard to tell stomach wise since the augmentin seemed to bother her stomach some, she wants to see how she feels without taking anything for a bit and see where her level of anixety is at this point. sorry I didn't have anything helpful for you here but thought maybe knowing about the throwing up and anxiety at an older age might be a bit comforting knowing you are not alone. I cried too, lots of time when I got out of the house on my own, it's a release.

So 2:45 has come and gone over by you by now, hasn't it? Did the pattern repeat (hoping not!)

Many thanks,

Gat's mom.