ACN Latitudes Forums

Alternative Therapies

Research is validating more and more "Alternative" therapies and it's clear that some of the big winners will be those having to deal with anxiety disorders, including OCD.

I'm a relatively new member, have read dozens of postings, and am dumbfounded that there are no references to Neuro-linguistic Programming (NLP), Eye Movement Desensitization and Retraining (EMDR), Thought Field Therapy, Timeline Therapy, or Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT). All of these models have shown positive results in dealing with “anxiety disordersâ€. Can it be that I’m the first to bring them to this forum’s attention?

Recently, I read Oliver Sacks marvelous book, “An Anthropologist on Mars†about Tourette syndrome and I wanted more information about it. I found ANC Forums and Latitudes, and began reading through the postings (several hours worth), wanting a better sense of how people deal with these debilitating experiences. (I wrote a couple of postings to “Munazzaâ€.) I’ve been an “alternative psychotherapist†for nearly twenty years (I use all but one of the above models in my practice) and have never had a client with Tourette’s, although I have known two or three people who probably had it.

I have, however, had quite a few clients who have been diagnosed with OCD and any number of phobia clients.

Of the models mentioned, the easiest to learn about is EFT. There are a rapidly growing number of therapists (both certified and/or licensed and not certified and/or licensed; there are good arguments for both) breaking new ground with – and validating -- EFT every day, all over the world. Their work is being communicated with each other through the website http://www.emofree.com and in that way, a host of us are teaching, and learning from, each other in this single, new therapeutic model. It’s worth noting that although there are twenty or so advisory board members who are MDs or PhDs, (their names are on the home page) the guts of the work is still very outside the purview of any board approvals. In other words it’s all wayyyy outside of the box. And it probably will remain so for a while.

I invite any interested patient or parent to explore the results being experienced with EFT. (Again, EFT isn’t the only energy therapy or energy psychology out there; it’s just the easiest to find and has the clearest web management.)

An example of OCD success is available at:

http://www.emofree.com/addictions/compulsi...ers-bulimia.htm

Spend some time in the domain and you’ll find many related cases, discussed by the practitioners and sometimes the clients. Within the website are listed many practitioners in different parts of the country, indeed different parts of the world. I hope many of you will visit the website (It isn’t mine and I’m not even listed on it.) Maybe it won’t provide exactly what you’re needing, but it’s possible that it could end your search for answers.

I’d be glad to deal with discussion, questions or comments, either here in the forum or at my e-mail address.

Malcolm Campbell

Director of Counseling, Stress Management Center of Marin

Certified Master Practitioner in NLP and Timeline Therapy

e-mail: Malcolm_yom@yahoo.com

Hi, Malcolm. Thank you for writing and pointing out these different approaches. I'm going to send you an email. I am more familiar with EFT than the others you mention.

We are interested in successes you have had with OCD and appreciate the input.

So-- you are in Marin County in CA? Sheila

Hi, Sheila. Thanks for your response. I'd be happy to write a short piece on these therapy models. I have to admit I haven't seen the Latitudes publication, though, so I would appreciate seeing a copy of it first.

Glad you're familiar with EFT. It's interestiing to me that it's the newest of the models I mentioned (it's only 5 or 6 years old), but may be the most familiar. Its communications have been superbly managed.

Briefly, OCD is addressed as a behavioral patterning issue and these therapies all offer ways of interupting and/or changing the patterns. I have limited time tonight but will be glad to write a little more about it soon. Yes, I'm in Marin County, CA :)

Best wishes, Malcolm

• 4 years later...

There are many complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies for eating disorder treatment. They include herbal therapy, massage therapy, homeopathy, psychotherapy and nutrition therapy.

=========================

christine

• 2 months later...

My daughter, 15, has very debilitating OCD as well as being diagnosed with Aspergers. I am actually seeing a therapist who does EFT and have discussed with Jaime that this might be helpful for her. Her response is that she is afraid that the "tapping" involved in EFT will become a part of her OCD rituals so she does not want to do it. Have you ever run into this kind of a response? We have tried so many things and the latest is functional neurology - visiting a chiropractor who works with balancing the right and left sides of the brain. The Dr. gave my daughter exercises to do at home to help balance and create new connections between right and left brain but she is also being very uncooperative in doing the exercises. She almost talks about her OCD as if it is an entity that does not want to go away and prevents her from doing things that might make her better. Very frustrating to work with her. Any ideas?

Sandy

My daughter, 15, has very debilitating OCD as well as being diagnosed with Aspergers. I am actually seeing a therapist who does EFT and have discussed with Jaime that this might be helpful for her. Her response is that she is afraid that the "tapping" involved in EFT will become a part of her OCD rituals so she does not want to do it. Have you ever run into this kind of a response? We have tried so many things and the latest is functional neurology - visiting a chiropractor who works with balancing the right and left sides of the brain. The Dr. gave my daughter exercises to do at home to help balance and create new connections between right and left brain but she is also being very uncooperative in doing the exercises. She almost talks about her OCD as if it is an entity that does not want to go away and prevents her from doing things that might make her better. Very frustrating to work with her. Any ideas?

Sandy

Hi, Sandy,

Check out Ode Magazine, Mar 2009 issue for good info on neurofeedback, which might well offer a good strategy. I haven't heard of anyone assuming EFT tapping into OCD behaviors. More important, I think, is how your daughter thinks about it. I myself don't do neurofeedback (yes, it's essentially the same as biofeedback), but it's where I would look next given what you described. ALSO:

If you can't easily find an Ode magazine, google Martin Wuttke for a lot of reliable info.

God luck!

Malcolm

Sandy

Hi, Sandy,

Check out Ode Magazine, Mar 2009 issue for good info on neurofeedback, which might well offer a good strategy. I haven't heard of anyone assuming EFT tapping into OCD behaviors. More important, I think, is how your daughter thinks about it. I myself don't do neurofeedback (yes, it's essentially the same as biofeedback), but it's where I would look next given what you described. ALSO:

If you can't easily find an Ode magazine, google Martin Wuttke for a lot of reliable info.

God luck!

Malcolm

Aargh!!! Sorry about that google suggestion. It seems there is a historical Martin Wuttke, who is not our guy. Martin Wuttke and neurofeedback will get you to the right place.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Malcom. Neurofeedback is on my list of therapies that we might try.

Sandy

Sandree,

Please keep trying. Neurofeedback and EFT have very high success rates with OCD, which means interventions really can work. I think NLP and Timeline Therapy would both work, and both are techniques that would not (as far as I can imagine) sponsor repetitive pattern behavior. Web search for your area; you'll find several to choose from.