ACN Latitudes Forums

Off topic: my son burned himself with citrus....

ilovedogs

Ok, so my goofy kid was playing with fresh oranges the other day. He and his friends were smashing them, etc. My kid gets the fun idea of squeezing one all over his hands and then rubbing the oil/juice all over his face. I see what he's doing and order him to wash it all off. Well, I guess he doesn't know how to wash well b/c he went out and played tennis later and ended up with what looks like burns. He has red splotches on his face and his hands are all red still. He has a line running down his arm where you can see that the orange juice ran down his arm. He says it doesn't hurt and the skin looks healthy except for the redness and drying on the face.

Any suggestions? The naturopath recommended we just wash his face and hands with a mild cleanser and use a baking soda cleanser to keep the surface clean but I'm more concerned about healing and scarring. I guess if it doesn't hurt him, I shouldn't be too concerned right? Also, I wonder if this is more of an allergic reaction? The other kids didn't get anything like this from playing with the oranges. Maybe this is telling us something about those salicylates?

Anyone else have any stories of the brilliant things their kids have done????

B

well..you probably already heard the one about the lampshade in the funeral parlor, so.... :)

It does sound like a reaction, especially if he washed it off. I'll tell you that last weekend, my son had like 7 clementines (thos tiny tangerine things)... and I don't usually give him too much fruit at all and do like to stay away from sals from earlier experiences, but from Saturday to Sunday afternoon, he had about 6 or 7. he was definitely ticcing more and making way more noises, I was sure of it. I noticed because we were at my mothers to sleep over and I would not have gone if he was doing noticeable tics, I usually lie low on that. but by the next afternoon, it was alot and my mother commented. I really have a feeling it was those clementines. I didn't give him any more since then. he still has vocals, of course, but that day was more.

I'd give him some ofthe Alka gold, the bicarbonate of soda stuff? even tho its our own little experiment, I tend to think it kind of neutralizes acids or possible food sensitivities. we've discussed this before, I think I read it used in this manner from the book "IS this your Child", by Doris Rapp. she says if you think you're child is having a reaciton to foods (more in the way of behavioral tho) then give bicarbonate of soda of Alka Seltzer gold, which contains that, and it may calm the reaction. can't hurt.

It may not be the orange he's allergic to or sensitive to, but the oil in the zest...that's kind of more concentrated.

Faith

Yeah, Faith, I was thinking it was the oil since he broke open a fresh orange or 2...or 3 :) Anyway, the baking soda will probably neutralize it over time since that's a bicarbonate, too, right? That's probably why the doc recommended it. I was thinking of using some lavender oil or aloe vera gel but I wasn't sure what to start with and I don't want to over use anything since he has sensitive skin to begin with. He always says that he wishes he had my olive toned skin, not his dad's lilly white Irish skin, LOL!!!

Whoa, lightbulb moment! these clementines I speak of.....they came in a wooden crate, and alot of them were kind of going bad already, we could see they had spots and what looked like mold on the place where the leaf would be, whats that called?.....it was funny, my mom was so annoyed when we opened the box (she bought it specifically because my son said he liked them), so upon seeing some of them were bad, she made my husband drive her back to the fruit market to complain and return them. it was so funny, a scene right out of Seinfeld, remember the one where Kramer tries to return the fruit? ..... more funny, was that my mom comes back out of the store and the guy who works there is carrying THREE boxes to our car, lol....and my mom waddling back to the car behind him smiling ......hysterical!.......

now my point is that some of them were still a little bad, so he gave us the three boxes in order to pick out the ones that were good in order to get our monies worth. so maybe some he ate did have a slight amount of mold beginning on the peel, .... wonder if that was a factor in the increased tics that day. ??

Wierd, his vocal is changed yet again, now he's gasping and quickly says in a low voice, "oh,yea,oh" and repeats this a few times. now its a lower sound than the shrilly "Ehhh", but its very noticeable, especially when he does it several times in a row, and he's kind of exagerating his facial expression with it too. :P ....its so wierd for me, everytime he changes the vocal, I long for the one before, even tho I hated that one too......I guess I get used to it.

I have to work on some things pretty fast here, because I am very close to trying a med for him...... :(

Faith

Faith,

Yes all fruit juices are made with old , moldy fruit. Think about it if you were making orange juice would you waste the old fruit or just use it and make the juice. I NEVER let Nick drink orange juice anymore. In any event I give him fruit all fruit actually but no oranges and never fruit that isn't fresh. I have had good results with the mold drops from dr. chung we talked about them awhile back.

take care

abbe

ha, let's make her find it in the archives...... :lol:

OK, OK! I found it. You've got quite the class clown there, Faith, LOL!

I read your further post, Faith, and I'm sorry that things are worse for you now. Has there been no waning to his tics? How has his anxiety been lately? We've been in a waning period for a while now after our fall from h*ll and I have to admit that I'm quite thankful for the breather. Not that the tics are gone completely but the frequency is less and the anxiety seems to be under control again.

I have 2 friends who have used meds for their kids tics and one of them swears that prozac helped with anxiety and tics and the other swears by a low dose of clonidine. My one friend's son had such bad tics that he would run into a wall as a tic and broke his nose twice. He also had a jumping tic and he broke their sofa so they decided at age 12 to do meds. My other friend(the one who used the clonidine) says her son was making a sound like a cat coughing up a hairball at the time they decided to try meds. Her son said his throat would hurt so bad by the end of the day and she felt so bad for him. The meds have helped him tremendously. This child and her older son also have Asperger's and ADHD, so she has her hands full!

Anyway, I'm not trying to encourage meds for you, just sharing a few positive experiences. I also know those friends weren't patient enough to try a more holistic approach with their children. I'll be praying for you and for the decisions you have to make, whatever road you choose!

Bonnie

[q

Faith,

Nicholas is 8 and is on 15mg of topamax. That dose is very low and I kept him that low for a reason. If something is bothering him or a trigger I can still see him tic. After seeing dr. chung and continuing to unfold Nicks puzzle of what is causing this he can put Nick in "remission" and he doesn't tic. He has non ticcing periods meaning 0 tics during this period. They are more and more frequent and lasting longer and longer. I can only hope he will get better and better and then I will drop him off the topamax. Before Nick was on topamax the tics were much more intense and he was getting very bothered and I was a MESS . I cried and cried before I put him on so upset that I couldn't fix him without it. I know I made the right decesion at the time now hope this helps

abbe