ACN Latitudes Forums

vocal tics

My son's journey almost certainly began with vocal tics that appeared age 3 or 4.

Early on, people asked him why he squeaked. He said he didn't know.

Now sometimes he just says he can't help it.

Kids find him annoying, needless to say. We found it annoying too, but did not identify it as tics, just thought it was behavior. :wacko:

Does anyone see or has anyone seen this behavior for a prolonged period? Did it ever go away? ( I realize tics are the last to go.)

BTW, we are waiting for the hospital to come up with a diagnosis. :huh: They are moving slowly and cautiously. My son is no better.

My son's journey almost certainly began with vocal tics that appeared age 3 or 4.

Early on, people asked him why he squeaked. He said he didn't know.

Now sometimes he just says he can't help it.

Kids find him annoying, needless to say. We found it annoying too, but did not identify it as tics, just thought it was behavior. :wacko:

Does anyone see or has anyone seen this behavior for a prolonged period? Did it ever go away? ( I realize tics are the last to go.)

BTW, we are waiting for the hospital to come up with a diagnosis. :huh: They are moving slowly and cautiously. My son is no better.

Before anyone chimes i n, yes we treated candida issues for a year but didn't get any relief at all.

my son's first tic appeared at age 3 - eye blinking. Next was face scrunching. During first identified strep episode (on and off for over a year) he developed a chin licking tic and a sudden high pitched scream that he emitted during "transitions" (coming in the door or going up the stairs) etc. We didn't know it was a tic then either - it was identified for us by an ENT whom I described it for over the phone. Over the years verbal tics grew more complex - sing song phrases that would appear for a few months, disappear and then re-emerge as a different song. Current tics are pulling lips over braces and a high trilling with 3 screams after.

Sorry to hear your son is not doing any better :huh: I hope that by waiting on his diagnosis that means they are taking their time to figure things out thorougly. Hang in there!

My sons PANDAS manifest with a severe vocal tic and ocd.

horrible Vocals here too.But we have the cursing (coperalia) happend at about age 12 1/2 Horrible I hate itt..Th eonly thing that made it go away was the IVIG!!!for about 2 1/2 weeks.But its back ..

Melanie

We had several motor tics before a vocal tic showed up. The vocal was a throat clearing and much worse when eating. 2 things made it go away - round the clock advil made it disappear but it came back when we discountinued the advil. Getting away - we went away on vacation for 10 days and with use if Advil it was gone by the end of the trip. I think this worked because he is getting strep exposure from someone outside the family (suspect a carrier in his class and also extended family who sees him often.) I am happy it is gone as it grated on me big time but I know he couldn't control it. I often wondered with it worse while eating if it was a compulsion of some sort that he had to do it so many times between bites of food.

My daughter has had vocal and non vocal tics for almost 2 years. Doctors said she has tourettes. After doing my own investigating her bloodwork shows she has PANDAS. Followed up with Saving Sammy dosage of Augmentin XR. 3 months into it---she has NO tics. Unbelievable! and her personality is back too.

My daughter has had vocal and non vocal tics for almost 2 years. Doctors said she has tourettes. After doing my own investigating her bloodwork shows she has PANDAS. Followed up with Saving Sammy dosage of Augmentin XR. 3 months into it---she has NO tics. Unbelievable! and her personality is back too.

That's wonderful! Good work!

Vocal wasn't my son's first tic, but once it showed up (around 5 or 6) it's been kind of a mainstay. (sorry). its been the one tic that doesn't want to hit the high road. sometimes its better and it has changed in sound, but even tho his eye twitches have come and gone and head tics come and gone, I can't say the vocal was every really gone, he always has some sound going on.

hve you tried no dairy for that? at one point in time, when he first started it, I felt it had some benefit, but only for a little while. But I do think no dairy is worth a try for vocals, since dairy produces mucious and it might be a sensory thing. worht a try.

Faith