ACN Latitudes Forums

My son's ASO titer is still high, mine is High as well

CZL

I tested my son's ASO again after 35 days from last time. this time his is 385, He has been on antibiotic for 80 days when he had blood drawn this time. His ASO was 394 last time.

I tested myself as well, it is 322. normal range here is 0-200.

I've never tested my ASO before, I should do that earlier. Am I the strep carrier? Should I put myself on high dose of antibioitc long term? my son's ASO is not coming down for long time becasue I am maybe a carrier and he is infected always?

Thanks,

Have you throat cultured yourself or your wife? (of course the strep could be hiding out in a non-throat location, but it would be interesting if the throat culture was positive.)

EAmom, thanks.

I will throat culture myself ASAP. I started taking anitbiotic on myself. Should I do that before throat culture?

Have you throat cultured yourself or your wife? (of course the strep could be hiding out in a non-throat location, but it would be interesting if the throat culture was positive.)

EAmom, thanks.

I will throat culture myself ASAP. I started taking anitbiotic on myself. Should I do that before throat culture?

culture first. If you start abs b-4 the culture you might get a false negative.

• 2 weeks later...

EAmom, thanks.

culture first. If you start abs b-4 the culture you might get a false negative.

I got my throat culture result, it says " No Pathogen Growth", so that means no strep, right?

I put myself on Azith right after I had my throat swabbed, total 10 days ( 500mg/day for 2 days, 250mg/day for the rest ). I should do it longer?

Does it mean I am a carrier? What do you usually do for the strep carrier?

Thanks,

Am I not understanding? I don't see why high aso means you are a carrier? Doesn't it just mean you have been exposed to/had it within a year?

The dr. told me it could take a long time for titers to lower on antibiotics.... not sure what he meant by a long time though.

Am I not understanding? I don't see why high aso means you are a carrier? Doesn't it just mean you have been exposed to/had it within a year?

The dr. told me it could take a long time for titers to lower on antibiotics.... not sure what he meant by a long time though.

I don't know how the carrier is defined. I've never tested my ASO before, just not long ago, did once and it was high. Yes, after strep infection, ASO would be high. But I did not notice when I got the strep. I guess maybe my ASO is always high.

Doctors here said maybe very high percent of adult have high ASO, if it does not show anything wrong with it, don't need to care about it ( I don't know if this is correct or not). I am just thinking not to infect my son if I have strep.

CZL: My husband's ASO Titers were 283 and his Anti-DNAse-B were 680. This does not mean you are a carrier, nor does it mean you have a current infection. ASO show past infection, Anti-DNAse-B rise 8 weeks post infection. Not enough is known about how quickly they fall after the infection has supposedly 'cleared'. I e-mailed Madeleine Cunningham regarding this issue and she said it showed that my husband had probably shared past illnesses with my kids who are PANDAS. We know he had several colds with sore throat but never cultured him. Because he has had some GI issues 'strep maybe in the gut'... we are treating him to be cautious and see if his titers fall. I think it would be more important which direction titers are heading then if they are just HIGH.

-Wendy

I don't know how the carrier is defined. I've never tested my ASO before, just not long ago, did once and it was high. Yes, after strep infection, ASO would be high. But I did not notice when I got the strep. I guess maybe my ASO is always high.

Doctors here said maybe very high percent of adult have high ASO, if it does not show anything wrong with it, don't need to care about it ( I don't know if this is correct or not). I am just thinking not to infect my son if I have strep.

My daughter is a carrier. Her ASO & AntiDnase have always tested low. I think carrier would be chronically culturing positive for strep, without active infection (symptoms of strep throat).

The dr. believes my ds might be a carrier... his aso titers from Nov were 480 but he had a positive culture in Sept. I am waiting for results from bloodwork done in January. He gets strep throat, cultures positive but without the sore throat/fever.. has never complained of a sore throat. I am not really sure if he is a carrier or not. He has tested negative before.

My daughter is a carrier. Her ASO & AntiDnase have always tested low. I think carrier would be chronically culturing positive for strep, without active infection (symptoms of strep throat).

My daughter has tested negative before- but she's really hard to swab and I'm pretty sure that frequently they do not get a very good specimen for culture, or its up in her sinuses. Still, negative swabs are in the minority.

The dr. believes my ds might be a carrier... his aso titers from Nov were 480 but he had a positive culture in Sept. I am waiting for results from bloodwork done in January. He gets strep throat, cultures positive but without the sore throat/fever.. has never complained of a sore throat. I am not really sure if he is a carrier or not. He has tested negative before.

Both of my children kept getting positive rapids- so the ped began sending off cultures. They were tested over 20 times in a year time period and always had positive rapids and the majority of the times =negative cultures. The ped was so confused and sent us to an infectious disease dr. The ID dr. said it just meant they were carriers.

Both of my children kept getting positive rapids- so the ped began sending off cultures. They were tested over 20 times in a year time period and always had positive rapids and the majority of the times =negative cultures. The ped was so confused and sent us to an infectious disease dr. The ID dr. said it just meant they were carriers.

So, they were sending out for cultures on positive rapids? We only sent for cultures if the rapid was neg.

So, they were sending out for cultures on positive rapids? We only sent for cultures if the rapid was neg.

The tests were done by the dr. (pediatrician) that diagnosed my son with Pandas- so every time we went into the office for any reason she tested both kids for strep. Then the test ALWAYS came back positive. The dr. never had patients that always tested positive- so she began doing cultures. Well.....most of those came back negative (except for the few positive- when one obviously had strep throat). The pediatrician then referred us to an infections disease dr. who said they are carriers. That was years ago and both have had plenty of negative rapids - but they still get both tests done.