ACN Latitudes Forums

Tic Adjustment/behavorial therapies

DadandMom

Has anyone had success with behavorial modification therapies(not sure if right term)

I have read about things like "habit reversal techniques etc"

One of my boys habits was putting his hands on a upper body part in a certain manner, i asked him to try a diff motion that was close to what he was doing but something i felt was much more discreet. He actually had some success. the initial tic didn't go away but i feel it "may" be less times being done as now some of them seem to be replaced with new motions we worked on....wondering if anyone out there has not told a kid to "stop" ticking but educated them how to tweak teh motion a bit to make it more discreet??

Has anyone had success with behavorial modification therapies(not sure if right term)

I have read about things like "habit reversal techniques etc"

One of my boys habits was putting his hands on a upper body part in a certain manner, i asked him to try a diff motion that was close to what he was doing but something i felt was much more discreet. He actually had some success. the initial tic didn't go away but i feel it "may" be less times being done as now some of them seem to be replaced with new motions we worked on....wondering if anyone out there has not told a kid to "stop" ticking but educated them how to tweak teh motion a bit to make it more discreet??

From what I read, this is definately a tool to use. I currently am treating my own just turned 13 yr old daughter with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist. She has learned breathing techniques and relaxation methods that work for her. Also, during the course of 5 visits, my daughters confidence has greatly improved. She tries to focus an changing her behavior without us constantly reminding herself. This makes her in control of self and her confidence. She has had come luck with keeping her hands going to her face. I would assume this is a long process and not over night. But this is the first thing that we have been working with that has some success. We are next seeking PANDAS testing just to rule out, then will try supplements and hope for the best. Her neuro-psy doctor does not see her as a patient for med's. Too healthy, active and bright. It still is heart wrenching when she has her ticcing bouts. Good luck and give it some time.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is very valuable for OCD and tics

but

Habit Reversal therapy for tics is IMHO not a good idea

tics are *not* habits, at least not TS tics

they are INVOLUNTARY motor or vocal neurological reactions and trying to suppress them can actually result in negative psychological results.

However, Behavioral Therapy that helps to modify tics can be very helpful.

But the habit reversal techniques that I am aware of are more about trying to "force" a person with TS tics to stop or "control" them, and that is detrimental

Wanted to chime in and agree with Chemar. My son has tics(real tics) and 'habits' that I'm guessing are more OCD related. He plays competitive tennis and is always doing a new 'habit' and trying to incorporate it into his strokes. Drives me crazy! Anyway, he used to smell his racquet during matches and it totally threw off his forehand stroke so I asked him to think of a way to modify it. Well, guess what he started doing? He started grabbing his crotch. UGH! So, again I asked him to modify this grabbing motion and now he pulls on the side of his shirt between points. He also twiddles his fingers on his right hand before he has to serve and I've decided that I can live with both of those and that they don't interrupt his strokes so I leave it alone now.

He's been able to completely stop vocal noises and other 'habits' by my just asking him to modify the behavior. I don't tell him to stop, I just ask him to change it to something less obvious, etc. It does work for us, too. As for tics, he can't stop those or change those. He does have a tic he does when he's playing a very stressful match or a national tournament where he does a head nod with a severe eye blink. I can't ask him to change those but I try to do relaxation breathing with him and hopefully this will become a modification he can use to relieve stress in the future.

All I can say is you guys are lucky that your kids are open to this. my son gets so insulted when I try to give him the idea of masking a tic. I'm just trying to help, I just try to ask him if he could "do it like this' or "try to make it look like you're doing this", etc. its hard because sometimes his vocal can be pretty noticeable, and I just want him to be aware that he may have to try to do it a little lower when in public.

This week he'll be starting ERP therapy for OCD, and I wonder if cognitive behavioral therapy is part of it? I know this doctor does that, so it will be interesting to see what they do with him. I picked this doc because he is part of a group that focuses on ocd, tourettes, adhd and body dismorphic disorder, so hopefully it will be a good fit for my son.

Tigger, I'm glad you are saying that your daughter's confidence has improved, I really hope that is one of the things that comes of this therapy for us. he's pretty confident by himself, but I know his tics, the ocd and other issues are starting to get to him, every now and again I see him frustrated that he has all these things and wonders why. (why do I have to have a, b, c. etc.?).... :wacko:

Faith