ACN Latitudes Forums

Metallothionein Promotion Therapy

Guest Nancy

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your replies. I have a question about the MT protein - you said it's correctable - does this mean that the person can then tolerate gluten when it's treated correctly? We are going to Pfeiffer next Monday, so I will definitely add this to my list of things to discuss.

My son is also perfectly behaved at school - very law abiding! We're trying to be very patient at home when he loses it - a negative reaction from us really doesn't help things. But sometimes it's really hard!

Good luck with your move. That's always a big job!

Nancy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy,

From my understanding of Dr. Walsh's talk, if the protein is corrected, then it can do it's job- one of them being the break down of casein and gluten.

Do fill us in on your visit to the clinic. I am so excited for you and your son!!!

Best wishes,

Jennifer

Guest bean

To Claire,

I was interested in your post regarding the Great Plains test for milk and wheat allergy. You said your sons results were negative even though he is allergic to milk and wheat. How do you know he is allergic? Are you recommending or not recommending this test? Could you please clarify?

Thanks.

bean,

Hi--I have been out of town and just got back.

The Great Plains test is for Gluten and Casein issues, not for wheat and milk allergy.

My son didn't have Gluten/Casein issues, but his IgE/Rast test showed a wheat allergy and his IgG blood test from Immunolabs showed 'food sensitivity' to both wheat and milk. I never noticed a reaction to milk, but in taking it away (and corn, also showing positive), he completely lost his occasional fidgetiness and it hasn't returned.

I just finished "Children with Starving Brains" and Dr. McC. says actually discusses the Great Plains test. She says it is quite helpful, but sometimes gives false negatives, so she still encourages parents to try a GF/CF diet for the ASD kids (Autisim spectrum disorder). She mentions TS and ADHD a few times in the book. She also recommends the IgG tests as well as the Gluten/Casein test as top priority tests and/or diet changes to start with. (and mercury tests, then she has other tests.)

My son's diet is not gluten free because there is barley in the power bars my son eats (otherwise we are, but he eats those daily). Nor are we 'casein-free'. I am switching him from butter to non-hydrogenated/non-dairy margarine--because he said he likes the new spread better (but I won't restrict it when we are out).

I tested as having a sensitivity to casein and stopped all milk products (with great pain). My barley allergy makes me virtually gluten free since virtually all the packaged products with wheat have barley in them.

Bottom line, I noticed a more alert brain within 3 days (I posted on it) and it has stayed that way! I haven't had caffeine in 12 years (since I started 'trying' to get pregnant with my son) but I would have an occasional cup of decaf to 'wake up' my brain (decaf has 3% caffeine). Anyway, I turn it down when offered now--I simply don't need it.

Coincidentally, I just read a couple of days ago that people with gluten and casein issues end up with these morphines from the two (casomorphines?) that are like opiates and can make them a bit spacey. No one would ever have called me spacey, so maybe it was mild for me, but my brain is simply less tired.

Now my situation isn't related to tics, but something to consider for anyone whose kid gets a bit foggy when learning. Also, again, our doctor thinks it is a factor for many kids with tics. ( never a once size fits all solution of course).

As Mustang Carole points out, milk can get out of the system in a week, but gluten can take many months.

Claire

Claire-

Thank you for the clarification and the info you provided. I'm beginning to think more and more that I need to pursue the allergy issue.Did you order those tests yourself or were they done through a health practitioner?

Thanks,

bean

Hi bean,

I think the IgG allergy tests that we took require an MD to order them, since they are blood tests. Unfortunately, most doctors are not familiar with the IgG (delay reaction) allergy tests, but only the IgE immediate reaction ones. The foods which cause even a delayed reaction can inflame the intestines. This results in poor nutrient absorption and 'starving brains', which a number of doctors believe aggravate certain neurological issues. I became convinced to have my son tested based on the number of the kids here and on Braintalk with tic issues had food sensitivities, and their parent's observation as to the improvement when those foods were eliminated.

We used two different labs, Immunolabs for my son and Elisa/ACT for me. I liked Elisa/ACT better because you could use the same test for not such foods, but specifically gluten and casein. I think it is about $300. Our old insurance covered 50% and our new insurance covers 70%.

The number for Elisa Labs is 800-553-5472. If you can talk your normal doctor into ordering it, that would obviously be the easiest path--just be sure they don't just give your child the IgE test. Otherwise there are several doctor links at the top of this site, which were posted by the site editor.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p?showtopic=565

I cross reference the DAN (Defeat Autism Now, but really they test for allergies and other immune issues underlying neurological disorders), and the Environmental Medicine doctors, who deal with allergies. The DAN list actually shows you which test the doctors in your area have expertise in, so you can see if they deal with allergies. No doctor is perfect, you of course need to do your own screening/interviewing. The biggest difference with these doctor lists is that most of these doctors are very aware of these testing protocols so they are very supportive.

Good luck, and if you do have the food allergy tests done, please let us know the results, both from the test and from trying food elimination if he tests positive for anything.

Claire

• 1 month later...
Guest NancyE

Hi Jennifer,

Our original appointment was pushed back, so we didn't go till about 3 weeks ago. I won't get any results for about another 3 weeks, so I don't have any specifics, but it went well overall. My son was fine with it. I was a little disappointed that they don't routinely test for a few things I've heard others mention that their DAN doctors tested for, such as the Spectracell test for vitamins. THey also didn't do a yeast test automotically - I guess my son didn't strike them as an obvious yeast problem - but I can get a stool and I think a urine test done for that if I want. We will probably do that, but I'm trying to space out the expense a little! (My HMO doesn't cover anything.) I believe Chemar said there's a blood test for yeast that is most accurate, but they didn't seem familiar with that.

However, they took blood and hair and urine samples and will test for metals and pyroluria, which I'm VERY curious to find out about. I talked to a nurse for a long time and she took his history. She was very good. I asked her about the MT protein, and she said the idea is that if it's corrected one "should" be able to tolerate gluten, but of course she couldn't give any guarantees. They felt that gluten tests aren't always very accurate and the best thing is to just try a gluten-free diet for 3 months to see if it makes a difference. We went on vacation right afterward and now both my boys have birthdays coming up, so it hasn't been a good time to try a drastic diet change yet. However, I've been trying to find substitutes and changing as much as possible without the final leap to gluten-free bread - it all tastes horrible!

I'm trying to remember more specifics about the visit but my memory is a little fuzzy now. I already knew about diet changes and supplements, so that was helpful. They said I could keep him on the supplements he's already taking until they get his test results and make their suggestions.

I'm glad we got the testing done - there may be more we do in the future. I'll let you know more about the results when we get them.

Hope everything is going well with you. Take care.

Nancy

Nancy,

Thanks so much for the update, I am very excited to hear about the test results!!! I really think the MT promotion therapy is the key for our son, he fits too many of the symptoms Dr. Walsh discusses in the tape I ordered.

I am pretty positive that his copper level is too high, he gets quite hyper after having chocolate (chocolate is high in copper) and just recently I bought some cereal he used to eat all the time (while he was on it his melt-downs were just awful, but I never made the connection between the cereal and his behavior) and the old meltdown behavior was back so I started wondering about the cereal...as it turns out molasses is the sweetner used and molasses is very high in copper....I don't think that this is a coincidence.

I hope you get some good answers and progress with their clinic!!

Good luck to you.

Jennifer

Jennifer, my son has the same reaction to chocolate and molasses. Can you tell me where I can get a list or something like that to find out what food is high in cooper. He has been tested for metals and his copper level was low but your post makes me wonder. Thanks for any suggestion, Robin.

Guest Another Mom

I've been following this thread and just have to say that since I'm something of a perfectionist too I don't consider that there is anything wrong with that! I set high standards for myself and am determined to meet them. Of course, I don't know how extreme your children's moods are at not meeting their goals or winning games etc, but pouting and not being happy about losing is all a childhood thing, isn't it? So, let me ask you to please be careful not to label your children with disorders when in fact it is just their personalities coming through. Yes, perhaps you may want it to be different and you might get along better if your child/children had different personalities, but not being agreeable does not mean they are suffering from disorders. I believe that the world we live in today has to some extent lost touch with reality and we are now popping pills, and doing all sorts of things to "fix" ourselves and our children, when in fact all we need to do is simply accept each other for the unique individuals we are. From all that I've read in this thread I'm sure that you are all great Mom's and soon enough the miseries of you childrens' difficult personalities will disappear as maturity takes over. I trust that one day you will remember this note of mine when your little miseries turn into high achievers and make their mark!

Guest NancyE

Another Mom,

Your comments were interesting. I am a perfectionist too (somewhat reformed as I've gotten older ^_^ ), so I certainly know where my son gets it! I also understand that there are many good things that go along with wanting to do your very best. My son is already a high achiever in many areas. The trick is getting him to also accept the inevitable mistakes he makes without feeling horrible about himself.

I guess I want to respond to your thoughts that I (and possibly others) are overreacting to "normal" childhood behaviors, but I don't want to make this confrontational. Of course you don't know my child and the little I write on this forum can't accurately portray our lives. I do understand that many kids have trouble with losing, for instance. In our case, I believe I'm concerned with behaviors that impact my child on a deeper level and that make him anxious and unhappy. Unfortunately, there are many adults in my family who never "outgrew" this type of behavior and still struggle to be happy, so I believe there is a genetic component to it. I also believe there is much we CAN do to help him lead a happier life overall, which is any parent's goal I think. I don't think ignoring the troubling issues as a normal passing phase is realistic or in his best interests.

That being said, I love him unconditionally and accept him for the very unique individual he is - he was truly an answer to many prayers. I suppose when people write on these forums the problems we discuss may seem like they overwhelm all other aspects of our lives all the time. They certainly don't in our case, and I'm guessing the majority of people here would agree. But we do have times where it gets difficult and we turn to people we think can understand and let it all out.

I think the people who find this forum and feel the need to share and seek help really feel that their situation warrants it, and are not trying to "fix" their child's personality just because they don't like to deal with a crabby child. There really is more going on with some kids, and we're just trying to help the people we love.

Robin,

I'm not sure about where you can find a list of foods high in copper, perhaps you can try typing "high copper foods" in the computer search engine. I just had a hunch about molasses and typed in copper levels of molasses.

Did your son have a hair analysis done? If his copper level was low in his hair that may actually mean that his body is not excreting it as it should and is hanging on to too much copper. Our son's hair analysis showed normal zinc and low copper, but the zinc in his blood was low..... this may indicate that his zinc is being displaced by copper. We won't know for sure until we test his blood copper level.

Jennifer

Guest Another Mom

NancyE,

First of all let me apologise as obviously I offended you with my previous post in this thread and it was certainly not my intention to do so. This experience has certainly brough to the fore how easy it is for the written word to be misinterpreted. I was in no way meaning to criticise anyone, but merely trying to offer another view point as I believe it is very easy for us to get "lost" in our search to help our children. Believe me I know how overwhelming things can get in trying to deal with these issues as I have a child with a tic disorder too, hence my reason for visiting this site. In fact my sharing those thoughts came about subsequent to a discussion I had recently with a medical person. One of the things I was advised at that time was to be careful in my search to help my child as sometimes well meaning people can lead us to think our children are suffering from disorders they don't really have. Of course, as you rightly said, I don't know your children and the problems you are experiencing and if you re-read my original post you will see that I was careful to say the following:

"Of course, I don't know how extreme your children's moods are at not meeting their goals or winning games etc, but pouting and not being happy about losing is all a childhood thing, isn't it?"

Additionally, have seen very good friends convince themselves that their son had Tourettes when in the end it was severe allergies causing his problem.

Again, my apologies for offending you and I wish you God's blessing and the best of luck in finding solutions for your child's difficulties.

Another Mom.