ACN Latitudes Forums

"weird" sinus/throat feeling

This may just be the physical conern du jour for my ds16 but for the second day in a row he's complaining of a "weird" feeling behind his nose and encompassing his throat. No pain, not a tickle. Says it feels dry, "like someone threw baby powder down there". Interestingly, stomach pain (normally a daily complaint) has not been present. The sinus/throat stuff is making him nervous and spinning up his anx/separation anx. We're on day 4 of azith 500mg (our first time ever on properly prescribed doses) and are seeing some really nice gains. Is it completely unrealistic to think this might be a herx reaction as his immune system steps in to finally get a strep under control that Azith is slowing the progression of? In support of the last sentence, his main anxiety triggers have been less active since starting abx, it seems odd that he'd develop a new one at this point. We're hours away from nighttime supps so I'm giving dose of activated charcoal in case there's a die off mess to mop up but I'm interested if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Many thanks to all,

Gayle

This may just be the physical conern du jour for my ds16 but for the second day in a row he's complaining of a "weird" feeling behind his nose and encompassing his throat. No pain, not a tickle. Says it feels dry, "like someone threw baby powder down there". Interestingly, stomach pain (normally a daily complaint) has not been present. The sinus/throat stuff is making him nervous and spinning up his anx/separation anx. We're on day 4 of azith 500mg (our first time ever on properly prescribed doses) and are seeing some really nice gains. Is it completely unrealistic to think this might be a herx reaction as his immune system steps in to finally get a strep under control that Azith is slowing the progression of? In support of the last sentence, his main anxiety triggers have been less active since starting abx, it seems odd that he'd develop a new one at this point. We're hours away from nighttime supps so I'm giving dose of activated charcoal in case there's a die off mess to mop up but I'm interested if anyone else has seen anything similar.

Many thanks to all,

Gayle

Gayle,

Just make sure you do not give the charcoal too close to the abxs as it may bind them up and render them useless. I think you need to keep it four hours away on either end. I do give it from time to time to my son, but it's hard to find a time to give it when it's away from everything else the poor child has to take! Usually I give it to him at noon (since he takes the abxs with breakfast and dinner) and just move the lunch supps to late afternoon. Between that and trying to give the probiotics away from the antibiotics, it's hard to find enough time in the day... There was an article of biofilm that covered what the best way to time this would be...

Also, a simple thing to try is to keep the vaporizer on :) It really helps around here when the weather is cold and the heat is running non-stop.

Many thanks to all,

Gayle

Gayle,

Just make sure you do not give the charcoal too close to the abxs as it may bind them up and render them useless. I think you need to keep it four hours away on either end. I do give it from time to time to my son, but it's hard to find a time to give it when it's away from everything else the poor child has to take! Usually I give it to him at noon (since he takes the abxs with breakfast and dinner) and just move the lunch supps to late afternoon. Between that and trying to give the probiotics away from the antibiotics, it's hard to find enough time in the day... There was an article of biofilm that covered what the best way to time this would be...

Also, a simple thing to try is to keep the vaporizer on :) It really helps around here when the weather is cold and the heat is running non-stop.

Mati's Mom and Vickie,

Thanks very much! I've had the vaporizer on in his room for the past couple days. I am very cautious with use of charcoal though I've always been told 2 hours away from all meds/supps. Dr. Usman's biofilm protocol actually says 1 hour (but I always do at least 2). I agree, the kids takes so much that it's hard to space it all out and in this case, really hard when he sleeps as much as he does during an exacerbation. I didn't know about giving probiotics away from antibiotics but will certainly do that from this point out. Last night I finally gave him Loratidine 10mg which is what he takes as needed for allergies (cat and ragweed). That really helped! His mood lightened within 30 mins and I have to wonder if Loratidine doesn't have an anti-inflammatory quality about it as well as antihistimine. Saline spray has been in the house all along, if this happens again, I'm going to push him toward that. He's so tired of taking pills and not feeling back to normal. I appreciate, so much, your input!

Gayle

If he has allergies, that may be causing that weird feeling. Also, if the house is even a little dusty, he could be getting little pieces of dust caught in the hairs in his nose. Sounds funny, but that's what it would feel like...like baby powder in your nose. Change his sheets and pillow case too. My ped said dust mites are making it big this year.

If he has allergies, that may be causing that weird feeling. Also, if the house is even a little dusty, he could be getting little pieces of dust caught in the hairs in his nose. Sounds funny, but that's what it would feel like...like baby powder in your nose. Change his sheets and pillow case too. My ped said dust mites are making it big this year.

Hi Vickie,

He hasn't complained about it at all today but I'll be changing his sheets in the morning regardless and giving his room a good dusting. There has been a little chatter in the group about allergies as PANDAS triggers. This backslide started shortly after what appeared to be a virus of some kind. Gatlin has never (in 16 yrs) been diagnosed with strep throat but has high titers. All of his episodes come on the heels of a "virus". Since he, historically, doesn't backslide after a cold or after some little viral assaults, I've come to believe that those 3 "viruses" over the past 6 years that brought him down were likely strep. However, I should also mention that this last backslide coincided perfectly with a major flooring renovation at my house. 10 year old carpet was ripped out of the entire house and laminate was put down. He got sick right along side the carpet coming out after being well (no ocd/anxiety) for a year and a half. Coincidence?

Gayle

Allergies is a trigger for my son.

The reflooring is probably not a coincidence. I read that carpets have their own ecosystem! It's filled with bacteria and all other kinds of nasty stuff.

I think I remember reading that carpet cleaning can sometimes aid in Kawasaki's because of all the bacteria. But I am not the expert on that. SFMom is.