ACN Latitudes Forums

scenar

bev

Hi all,

My son (11) has tics. Not diagnosed. Has anyone tried using scenar on their childrens tics? If so, is it any good? Feel little desperate as he is type1 diabetic too on an insulin pump and has a lot to cope with so am hoping that his tics dont get any worse.

hello bev,

what is scenar?

Hi Faith,

http://www.truescenar.com/posts/view/Dr__I..._her_story.html

This link explains the concept of it, but i dont know if this is an honest account or whether it is just a scam! I am not sure if it is worth giving it a go - i dont want to make matters any worse. I am not sure if i have replied in the right box? Thanks. Bev

Hi Bev and welcome

well, all I can say is I have never heard of scenar and I have been involved with Tourette/tics for over a decade now!

I tend to become sceptical whenever people claim they have 100% "cured" TS

helped make it much better? yes! absolutely!! but these too good to be true claims IMHO are just that...especially when they come with a high $ tag attached

however

as this is something I had never heard of till you posted about it, I would be interested to hear more than just that one "testimonial" from someone with a vested interest in promoting it

It seems it is primarily a pain relieving treatment

http://www.scenartech.com/whatisscenar/index.html

In the meantime, do start looking at the free testimonials here about various things that can and do help with tics. There are many causes for tics, not just Tourette Syndrome, and so you may find that what is triggering your son's tics is easily treatable

• 5 years later...

Hi Bev, Chemar,

I have used Scenar myself and so has my husband to treat mainly back pain and knee pain and it has helped enormously. As my daughter (diagnosed with TS 3/12 years ago) has now lots of eye ticks again, I was reading an article on TS, eye tics and biofeedback. This is what Scenar is, it's all about biofeedback. So I started thinking that perhaps my daughter should try it.

Bev, did your son ever try it in the end?

Chemar, have you heard anyone else, apart from Dr. Irina seeing improvements? Like you, I don't believe in 100% cure for TS!

Many thanks to both

It's not really. Biofeedback is where you watch a readout of some physiological measurement, as it might be heart rate or blood pressure or a particular electrical rhythm somewhere in the brain, and train yourself to control it yourself. From the description on their website, SCENAR seems to involve applying a small external electrical current, so more like a TENS machine - the only thing it has in common with biofeedback is that it monitors skin resistance with a sensor, in this case not to show the patient but to automatically adjust the frequency of the current to supposedly match what's needed (regular TENS just uses a single frequency, I think, so it's a bit of a one-trick pony).

That's not to say it won't work, of course, in fact I'm rather intrigued. Anyone had results with this? (for TS, OCD or anything else!)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really. Biofeedback is where you watch a readout of some physiological measurement, as it might be heart rate or blood pressure or a particular electrical rhythm somewhere in the brain, and train yourself to control it yourself. From the description on their website, SCENAR seems to involve applying a small external electrical current, so more like a TENS machine - the only thing it has in common with biofeedback is that it monitors skin resistance with a sensor, in this case not to show the patient but to automatically adjust the frequency of the current to supposedly match what's needed (regular TENS just uses a single frequency, I think, so it's a bit of a one-trick pony).

That's not to say it won't work, of course, in fact I'm rather intrigued. Anyone had results with this? (for TS, OCD or anything else!)

Hi, yes, it does work as a TENS machine but prior to starting the treatment each time SCENAR gets a reading from your body, then based on that biofeedback reading the physio decides which areas need treatment (the areas with the highest readings). And you are right it also monitors skin resistance.

I haven't tried it with my daughter just yet as I would like to gather some evidence that this works prior to having her try it. I will post on the forum however if she does try it.