ACN Latitudes Forums

ocd

Guest sandy

I don't know of any natural cures, but you may want to consider finding a reputable homeopath who may test you for heavy metal toxicity or vitamin defficiencies. If things in the body aren't right the brain can't be healthy either.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About thre years ago I had a 'nervous breakdown'. I had psychotic episodes, was severly depressed, and developed terrible OCD. I was unable to work, I was in a real mess. I didn't want to use orthodox medicines, as I had no faith in these at all. But I suffered badly. Eventually I went to see an old school-friend of mine who had qualified in herbalism. After a long consultation and iridology examination, he prescribed a herbal ticture, which I have been taking every day for about 18 months. The tincture contains St. John's Wort, Siberian Ginseng, Wild Oats, Vervain, and Bilberries. There might be other stuff in it as well, I can't remember. I pay £16.00 for a bottle which lasts 10 weeks, so it's not expensive. Since I started taking this stuff I have improved about 75 - 80%, maybe more. I have long periods if time where I just get on with my life as normal, and completely forget that I have an illness. I sleep better, and I have gone back to work full-time without any real difficulty. I wouldn't recommend treating yourself with over-the-counter herbal remedies, but if you can find

a practitioner that you trust, it might be worth giving herbalism a shot.

The guy I went to see is based in Hull, and his name is John Andrews. His telephone number is 01482 222089.

Good luck. It's only an illness. No matter how bad it feels sometimes, you can get better.

• 1 year later...

Russ, are there any side effects with regards to this medication and how severe was your OCD when you tried this group of medicaitons. Sounds great. What are the active ingredients and how effective is this working in relation to the other medications you might have tried.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nitrouschris

Hi, the only way to be cured is to rebuid the myelin sheathing in the brain! This means quitting tea and coffee sompletly, taking one tablespoon of flaxeed oil daily and taking a potent b complex. The myelin sheathing releases neurontransmitters as is probably to thin in people with ocd , that includes me aswel. What destroyed thw Myelin sheathing in the first place only God knows but if yall wnna try this regime then ill try it aswell.

peace

nitrous

Guest searching

nitrous, If your in I'm in. I've been reading about myelin sheathing as well. I've recently stopped drinking coffee and have eliminated cafine from my diet. I do take 5 htp and occasionally st. johns wort. I've been told that it take a minimum of 5 or six weeks to start seeing results so I'll have to be patient. Let me know how things are going for you.

• 2 months later...
About thre years ago I had a 'nervous breakdown'. I had psychotic episodes, was severly depressed, and developed terrible OCD. I was unable to work, I was in a real mess. I didn't want to use orthodox medicines, as I had no faith in these at all. But I suffered badly. Eventually I went to see an old school-friend of mine who had qualified in herbalism. After a long consultation and iridology examination, he prescribed a herbal ticture, which I have been taking every day for about 18 months. The tincture contains St. John's Wort, Siberian Ginseng, Wild Oats, Vervain, and Bilberries. There might be other stuff in it as well, I can't remember. I pay £16.00 for a bottle which lasts 10 weeks, so it's not expensive. Since I started taking this stuff I have improved about 75 - 80%, maybe more.  I have long periods if time where I just get on with my life as normal, and completely forget that I have an illness. I sleep better, and I have gone back to work full-time without any real difficulty. I wouldn't recommend treating yourself with over-the-counter herbal remedies, but if you can find

a practitioner that you trust, it might be worth giving herbalism a shot. 

The guy I went to see is based in Hull, and his name is John Andrews. His telephone number is 01482 222089.

Good luck. It's only an illness. No matter how bad it feels sometimes, you can get better.

Russ,

I need to remember it is only an illness and I can get better. I need to learn to separate myself from the OCD and realize I am still a whole person. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I had a very depressing day and this reminder helped me realize I am not an awful person, because of my thought patterns. The obsessive thinking has flared up, due to my husband passing away in Feb. 2004. I had a relapse today.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stellrchef

new to the forum. I've been on a series of Tricycs and SSRI's over the past 8 years or so. Anafranil, Luvox, Prozac, Buspar. I'm getting a little sick of the side effects (weight gain and a completely dead libido) which I've had to varying degrees with each one. I just tried Zoloft and gained 5 pounds in 5 days, since I'm already about 30 lbs overweight (thanks to anafranil) gaining more is a health issue.

I study yoga, meditate and get massages twice a month but haven't been abel to kick the SSRI's. I was diagnosed with OCD in 1997 after my Mother died and have been on meds ever since.

I've tried amino acids to boost dopamine (to help with the libido problem) but ended up feeling like I've drunk 2 pots of coffee (they're also precursors to epenephrine and my body couldn't take that). I've recently begun to eliminate caffeine from my diet but am not there yet.

I want to try inositol. It's going to take me a few months to get up to the 18 grams a day recommended. in the meantime I'm sticking with prozac until I get there. I know that inositol doesn't seem to augment SSRI's but I'm wondering how and when in the dosage process I should start scaling back on my Prozac. I'd also like to try something else besides the buspar (only something non-addictive).

Anyone have any info?

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Linda

Hi Tracy.I myself was diagnosed with ocd about 3yrs ago.i went through ###### first but now it is well under control tg.i am on 150 mg of efexor which i fell worked the best and had least side effects on me.

Sometimes I look at an object and blink on it a certain amount of times. I am a teenage boy, so, say I see a good looking girl, I blink while I am looking at her for a certain amount of time, which always occur in even numbers. Thats just an example. I was wondering anyone else has had blinking compulsions as well.