ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about Niacin and current program

lovmyboyz

So my son age 16 who has had tics on and off since age 5 has been having the same cronic tics since before Christmas. In He has been on several suppliments and things seemed to get better for a few months, but now they are back will not go away. After alot of reading and helpful posts I have added some suppliments and praying to see some improvement soon. I am a little unclear about the Niacin issue? I would prefer to use the no flush but all I can seem to find is inositol hexanicotinate. Is this the same as Inositol Nicotinate? I was thinking 500 mg a day.

His current program is:

Gaba 500MG

Prim Royal 1500MG

B6 100MG

Calcium Citrate 300mg

b12-methylcobalamin 1000mcg sublingual

Mag Taurate 500 Mg

Zinc 25mg

Vit C 500 mg

Any input would be great. We have been on this for the last week but I have seen any change so far.... Hopeful that adding Niacin will help.

Thanks!

not clear on your question. Niacin (niacinimide ) comes in no-flush, there are brands like Carlson. Inositol is a seperate b vit. I don't know much about dosing, but I would just give what the bottle recommends, I would think 50 mgs. for a b vit is an average high enough dose. but I would NOT give that much of the type that is not no-flush, because the reaction of the flush can be quite uncomfortable, so go low on regular niacin.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can explain. So-called "no-flush niacin" is a compound of inositol and nicotinic acid (which is one form of niacin, niacinamide being the other). Inositol hexanicotinate is its chemical name. I haven't actually heard the name inositol nicotinate before. As for the dose, it depends whether you mean 500mg of niacin or 500mg of the compound including the inositol. RDAs for niacin range from 1.3mg to 8mg. For tics and OCD, up to 500mg has been recommended, but this is close to the safe limit so I'd be careful. 250mg might be safer, and you could see if that helps before raising the dose if necessary. When I say 500mg, I mean enough "no-flush niacin" to provide 500mg of niacin, ignoring the inositol.

Hope this helps,

Wombat140