ACN Latitudes Forums

Scientific American Mind

The Jan/Feb 2010 issue has an article entitled From Throat to Mind by Erica Westily.

The opening sentence of the article is "The case for strep throat-induced mental illness grows stronger."

There isn't a free online copy of the article. I am going to buy it today or tomrrow.

Where do you buy that?

The Jan/Feb 2010 issue has an article entitled From Throat to Mind by Erica Westily.

The opening sentence of the article is "The case for strep throat-induced mental illness grows stronger."

There isn't a free online copy of the article. I am going to buy it today or tomrrow.

I have access to the teaching hospital's medical library where I have an office. There hasn't been much that my contact there hasn't been able to obtain quickly for me. If she can, she'll likely email the article to me and if so, I'll be happy to circulate it. I have a message in to her now.

Gat's mom.

Scientific American is a magazine you can get at just about any well-stocked bookstore, like Borders or Barnes & Noble. They are fairly protective of their copywrights, so while you can also buy an entire issue on-line from their web site for, I think, $7.95, what they make available for download is a protected PDF version that's essentially too large to email via most servers, uncopyable, uneditable, un-highlightable, etc.

We subscribe, but this edition hasn't yet reached our mailbox.

Thanks..

Scientific American is a magazine you can get at just about any well-stocked bookstore, like Borders or Barnes & Noble. They are fairly protective of their copywrights, so while you can also buy an entire issue on-line from their web site for, I think, $7.95, what they make available for download is a protected PDF version that's essentially too large to email via most servers, uncopyable, uneditable, un-highlightable, etc.

We subscribe, but this edition hasn't yet reached our mailbox.

Hi Scientific American MIND is a separate pub.

I will work on getting the piece too.

Michael

Yes, a special edition of Scientific American. Still available at bookstores and on-line, typically. We were able to download that 2007 edition with the previous "Infected With Insanity" article in it, so I would assume this one will be availble, if not now at least soon, as well.

I called my library. They receive an electronic copy of this periodical that I can view online at home. So I can view it for free! If you don't want to buy it, I suggest calling your library to see if they have a hard copy or electronic one online. I'll read it tonight whne the kids are asleep.

FYI, it's about the mice study. My library had it too.

Says it provides more ammo for the existence of PANDAS and hope for future treatment.

My favorite snip is this:

Swedo estimates that these kids may make up as much as 25 percent of children diagnosed with OCD and tic disorders, such as Tourette syndrome.

We got it, too. Beth Maloney had sent me the paper on the mice study itself a week or so ago.

Frankly, I wish that percentage wasn't quoted as low as it is. 25%? I've got a sneaking suspicion that's a very conservative estimate!

We got it, too. Beth Maloney had sent me the paper on the mice study itself a week or so ago.

Frankly, I wish that percentage wasn't quoted as low as it is. 25%? I've got a sneaking suspicion that's a very conservative estimate!

I agree, but it's a start. 25% sounds pretty serious and will get attention.

I agree, but it's a start. 25% sounds pretty serious and will get attention.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right; 25% is statistically significant. I just wish it didn't also correlate to an estimation that 75% are therefore "standard" OCD or TS or whatever and therefore the symptoms can be managed, but the disorder not cured. Cynical practioners (like our son's psych . . . I'm not letting up, but he's slow to come over to the Light Side) will take harbor in the "conclusion" that it's more likely your child does NOT have PANDAS than it is likely that he DOES. :blink:

This is what appears on the bottom of the electronic copy in regards to copyright

"Copyright of Scientific American Mind is the property of Scientific American Inc. and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use."

So, I can't publicly post it, but can I email to people I personally know?

I have the article, but don't want to break the law.