ACN Latitudes Forums

MYCOPLASMA! could this be the key to some cases?

For those pursuing this train of thought, I just ran across this paper in Sept 2009 Journal of Pediatric Neurology. I haven't yet read full article .

Buster

http://www.pedneur.com/article/S0887-8994(...0210-0/abstract

Pathogenesis of Neurologic Manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae Infection

Mitsuo Narita, MD

Mycoplasma pneumoniae has been associated with various neurologic manifestations, but exactly how the organism can cause such a wide variety of diseases is a long-standing mystery. In this respect, although pneumonia has been considered the hallmark of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection, emerging accumulations of data have revealed that the infection can cause a number of extrapulmonary manifestations even in the absence of pneumonia. The importance of host immune response in the pathomechanism of pneumonia has been established, but the pathomechanisms of extrapulmonary manifestations remain largely unknown. For this review, extrapulmonary manifestations due to M. pneumoniae infection were classified into three categories: a direct type, in which locally induced cytokines must play a role; an indirect type, in which immune modulation such as autoimmunity must play a role; and a vascular occlusion type, in which vasculitis or thrombosis (either or both, and with or without systemic hypercoagulable state) must play a role. This classification was then applied within a literature review for neurologic manifestations. Most neurologic manifestations due to M. pneumoniae infection could be reasonably classified into and explained by one of the three types of pathomechanisms.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1971852...mp;ordinalpos=4

There is a suggestion that Mycoplasma may be joining strep with the "infection inducing immune response inducing neurotransmitter system dysfunction" category.

I look for it routinely now.

NMDAR encephalitis is a very hot topic in the neurology literature currently. Maybe it will help give PANDAS more credibility, win some converts ...

P.S. I spend three years of my life doing my Ph.D. in the same room as the next to last author of this paper. Dr. Lynch. He's a good friend and I will be speaking to him regarding NMDAR encephalitis to try to learn more information on the spectrum of this condition. Seizures are not an essential part of this condition; some, but certainly the minority, of PANDAS patients have documented.

doctor,

My son has the mycoplasma infection and has had tics for 18 months. I have tried every route to get him better and just today BEFORE reading your posts it HIT me. All this talk about pandas and strep and I knew my son didnt have strep but now I think this infection is causing it. I live in NJ and my son see's Dr. Chung from the Chung Institute. He practiced out of Cooper and is on his own. I tried to call you today and will try again. I need to talk to you and I am hoping between you and Dr. Chung you can discuss the antibiotics that would best help him. Thank you so much

abbe

Also this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1971852...mp;ordinalpos=4

There is a suggestion that Mycoplasma may be joining strep with the "infection inducing immune response inducing neurotransmitter system dysfunction" category.

I look for it routinely now.

NMDAR encephalitis is a very hot topic in the neurology literature currently. Maybe it will help give PANDAS more credibility, win some converts ...

P.S. I spend three years of my life doing my Ph.D. in the same room as the next to last author of this paper. Dr. Lynch. He's a good friend and I will be speaking to him regarding NMDAR encephalitis to try to learn more information on the spectrum of this condition. Seizures are not an essential part of this condition; some, but certainly the minority, of PANDAS patients have documented.

BUMP