ACN Latitudes Forums

Huge problem the past couple of days please help

AHB900

Hey everyone, the past couple of days my tics have been seriously in overdrive.. I haven't done any thing different they just randomly appeared. I dont mind the tics when im not driving im pretty used to them, but the past few days my tics while driving have been unbearable. What happens is pretty much the best way I can describe it is like a panic attack while driving. Its uncontrollable. Its like OCD where you always have to check things like but like its im malfunctioning. I spend more time checking my window looking at my passenger seat or my rear view like over and over and over and over nonstop from one to another, so basically im doing those more than im looking at the road. Also, while I do that I cant breathe (I hold my breath) which makes me panic even more.. This is becoming dangerous and very very very uncomfortable. It feels like a panic attack. I try to calm my self by taking slow breathes, but it only for like a few seconds then I start again. What is going on? I mean I had tics while driving before, but not like this. Also, what i find weird is when I come to a stop or im in the passenger seat while a friend is driving I don't tic at all I have no problems. Its only when im driving.

Please if anyone has any info on whats going on or how I can calm my self please any information would be helpful this is ruining my life..

Thank

Hi

IMO sounds like the focus of driving is triggering tourettic OCD

This isnt a new car is it? we have reports of whatever chemicals are used interior of new cars sometimes triggering tics/OCD

do you take anything to keep your serotonin levels up? There are supps and meds that do this.

the supps that have helped my son are samE (or the less expensive methionine), Inositol and when things were very severe, 5HTP (some prefer tryptophan)

remember you shouldnt mix these without a doctor advising you and always start at the lowest dose and work up as needed

I am assuming you already take magnesium to help with tics?

Hi

IMO sounds like the focus of driving is triggering tourettic OCD

This isnt a new car is it? we have reports of whatever chemicals are used interior of new cars sometimes triggering tics/OCD

do you take anything to keep your serotonin levels up? There are supps and meds that do this.

the supps that have helped my son are samE (or the less expensive methionine), Inositol and when things were very severe, 5HTP (some prefer tryptophan)

remember you shouldnt mix these without a doctor advising you and always start at the lowest dose and work up as needed

I am assuming you already take magnesium to help with tics?

Well Ive had the car for a year or more now, so its not a new car. I honestly don't know what serotonin levels are, but I take the following multivitamins, magnesium (natural calm), SamE which I started like a week ago, and L-Carnitine which ive taken for awhile now. I honestly have never heard of Inositol or 5HTP/Tryptophan what are they supplements or medication? Why should they not be taken together without doctors approval?

Thanks

serotonin is the neurotransmitter that is usually deficient in people with TS/OCD

Inositol is a B vitamin that helps to raise serotonin levels and is often the supplement of choice as it has a gentle action with minimal side effects unless one takes mega high doses for too long

5htp and tryptophan are part of the conversion pathway to serotonin so taking them (both are otc supplements, not meds) helps increase serotonin

they are far more potent than inositol so need to be used with caution

methionine is an amino acid that helps increase serotonin. samE is adenosyl methionine

one should always be very careful about combining things that increase serotonin as too much results in serotonin spiking which can be very dangerous!

serotonin is the neurotransmitter that is usually deficient in people with TS/OCD

Inositol is a B vitamin that helps to raise serotonin levels and is often the supplement of choice as it has a gentle action with minimal side effects unless one takes mega high doses for too long

5htp and tryptophan are part of the conversion pathway to serotonin so taking them (both are otc supplements, not meds) helps increase serotonin

they are far more potent than inositol so need to be used with caution

methionine is an amino acid that helps increase serotonin. samE is adenosyl methionine

one should always be very careful about combining things that increase serotonin as too much results in serotonin spiking which can be very dangerous!

So im a little confused. So raising your serotonin levels is something I should do not avoid correct? Also, your saying it can be dangerous to increase it to much would you recommend I take Inositol, tryptophan, and 5htp but keep the dosage down? What would I need to look out for in order to know if I am over doing it?

IF you have OCD then you want to increase serotonin BUT over increasing it is dangerous therefore it is better to only use ONE supp at a time and start at the lowest dose and work up to max recommended

our doctor suggested it was safe to take inositol and methionine OR samE together @ 500mg methionine OR 200mg samE plus 500mg to max 1 gm of Inositol

you should NEVER take 5HTP or tryptophan with another supp (or med) that also increases serotonin without first consulting your doctor as their effect is dramatic! and you CANNOT EVER take 5HTP and tryptophan together --- only one OR the other. taking them together is very very dangerous!

IF you have OCD then you want to increase serotonin BUT over increasing it is dangerous therefore it is better to only use ONE supp at a time and start at the lowest dose and work up to max recommended

our doctor suggested it was safe to take inositol and methionine OR samE together @ 500mg methionine OR 200mg samE plus 500mg to max 1 gm of Inositol

you should NEVER take 5HTP or tryptophan with another supp (or med) that also increases serotonin without first consulting your doctor as their effect is dramatic! and you CANNOT EVER take 5HTP and tryptophan together --- only one OR the other. taking them together is very very dangerous!

Well in that case just to be on the safe side i will not take 5HTP or tryptophan at all.. Ill just look into some inositol and SamE.. my SAmE is 400mg per capsule should I find one that is 200mg instead or would it be fine to take the 400mg of samE and 500mg or inositol? Are their any certain brands you recommend or each?

Thanks

yes Guy I am VERY sure

dopamine is the neurotransmitter that people with TS are hypersensitive too, NOT deficient in

people with TS do NOT want more dopamine

they DO often need more serotonin, especially if they have comorbid OCD

Thanks for all the help Chemar.. Does your son have tourettic OCD as well? If so did this help him out a good amount? I really want to feel like the rest of my friends when driving my car.. They enjoy it so much and I just try to avoid it as much as possible :-\

you are very welcome and yes, the OCD component of my son's TS has actually always bothered him a lot more than his tics, so taking supps to help has really been very good for him

re doses, best to check with your doc if you are going to take more than the recommended dose.

The Jarrow Inositol powder is the best we have found. We get all our supps at iherb.com as even with shipping it is much cheaper than most health stores

Vitamin Shop inositol capsules are our 2nd choice

Jarrow also make a 200mg samE (as well as a 400mg one), and you can also get 200mg samE in the Origin brand at Target

my son is now 20yo and has no probs driving :mellow:

you are very welcome and yes, the OCD component of my son's TS has actually always bothered him a lot more than his tics, so taking supps to help has really been very good for him

re doses, best to check with your doc if you are going to take more than the recommended dose.

The Jarrow Inositol powder is the best we have found. We get all our supps at iherb.com as even with shipping it is much cheaper than most health stores

Vitamin Shop inositol capsules are our 2nd choice

Jarrow also make a 200mg samE (as well as a 400mg one), and you can also get 200mg samE in the Origin brand at Target

my son is now 20yo and has no probs driving :mellow:

Oh I expected your son to be a lot younger.. Turns out we are the same age.. If only my mom had a clue about my problem she refuses to believe something is wrong with me, I have to deal with everything by my self. I have the Jarrow 400mg SamE so i should possibly get my self the 200mg instead unfortunately I just started the bottle of SamE I feel it would go to waste if I go purchase the 200mg. I also purchased inositol from vitamin shoppe today 500mg so ill give these a try and hope it all goes well..

Thank you

yes Guy I am VERY sure

dopamine is the neurotransmitter that people with TS are hypersensitive too, NOT deficient in

people with TS do NOT want more dopamine

they DO often need more serotonin, especially if they have comorbid OCD

Chemar,

I misread your post.

I read "defective" instead of "deficient," hence my questioning. I know you're not supposed to increase dopamine in TS patients which is why I got confused when I misread your post.

Thanks.