ACN Latitudes Forums

Progesterone

I actually think there is a lot here. We were reading papers that Progesterone seems to shift Th2 to Th1 response (similar to the immunomodulation by azithromycin).

Buster

I was reading in the newspaper today that they want to start a study in Cincinnati that involves giving progesterone to brain injury patients. The theory is that progesterone reduces swelling on the brain. This got me thinking. I remember one or two saying that PANDAS got better with pregnancy. Could it be that the increase in progesterone that occurs during pregnancy is enough to reduce some swelling on the basal ganglia? Perhaps this is case when some girls reach puberty as well. That's when progesterone begins to increase in girls. Can this all be a possibility or am I way off?

Due to some immediate family/genetic issues, I currently take a progesterone-only birth control medication. I'm not PANDAS, so I can't attest to any impact there, but I do have a question in light of the seemingly ready availiability of progesterone treatments for girls/women: what would you do for a boy/man in this regard? :)

I have PANDAS, and I have to say that the first 6-8 weeks of my pregnancies were pretty much ###### mood lability-wise (though I don't recall any tics, anxiety issues, etc.), but after that it was very smooth sailing - and post-partum, which is usually a big challenge for those with "typical" mood disorders, was smooth sailing for me as well despite the fact that I had terrible sleepers. I breast-fed each for 2 years, and it was 100% smooth sailing that entire time. Re "the pill," some were great, others disasters. I don't know about the hormone content of each, but the Triphasil (I think it was - many years ago now) types were disasters, and Jasmin (or was it Yasmin?) was great. I think it's the progesterone-only ones that were great.

On the other hand, hitting puberty, for me, coincided with the launch of my worst and longest episode ever.

So there is my data, for what it's worth...

I was reading in the newspaper today that they want to start a study in Cincinnati that involves giving progesterone to brain injury patients. The theory is that progesterone reduces swelling on the brain. This got me thinking. I remember one or two saying that PANDAS got better with pregnancy. Could it be that the increase in progesterone that occurs during pregnancy is enough to reduce some swelling on the basal ganglia? Perhaps this is case when some girls reach puberty as well. That's when progesterone begins to increase in girls. Can this all be a possibility or am I way off?

If PANDAS is getting better with pregnancy, I thought PANDAS was a pediatric thing (that's the P). So I'm confused (again).

My understanding is that the lawsuits are not about the product itself but about the way it was being advertised (unless I missed something in the news). It was being advertised on TV as helping with PMS, though the FDA had only approved them to say that it helps PMDD, which is a severe form of PMS that has specific diagnostic criteria. This kind of thing generally does not result in a product being pulled from the market, but does result in a huge fine for the company and a requirement to set the record straight.

I think of the P as indicating Pediatric-onset. I think most experts recognize that there are cases that go on past childhood, at some level.

Yasmin was the only birth control I liked. I had waves of moderate acne even into adulthood. Yasmin was the only pill that improved my acne or make it worse before improvement. In the commercials they also advertise it as good for stabilizing moods.

Once I had my first pregnancy all acne problems went away and never returned.

However, now there are lawsuits against Yasmin. It's still on the market so I don't know if the revised their formula. Nor do I know what the med problems were asociated with the lawsuits.

As for the pediatric part. I think it's the whole "nobody knows for sure" and there may be a percentage of people who still have the problem into adulthood. There's probably a lot of factors involved.

• 3 years later...

OK. so I'm not sure if it's related or not. DD 16 has been having rage episodes, I took Advil decongestant to help with my sinus headache and it worked really well. so I asked DD's mom to give it a try with DD cause she was having daily rages. It's been 4 days and with no episodes. I have no idea if there is any coincidence. Phenylephrine HCl 10 mg is what's in it. The box says it reduces nasal inflammation. What I discovered is that it helps me to breathe better when I sleep and I don't get sleepy in the afternoon so I'm wondering if lack of oxygen is an issue. I'm thinking that maybe the inflammation also affects the oxygen supply. I'll run it by DD neurologist to see what he thinks.

Please let me know what the neurologists says in regards to the Advil decongestant. That sounds interesting. Wonder if it effects any fungal issues which hide in sinuses or just calms inflammation. Did any of you read "Brain on Fire"? They discuss autoimmune encephalitis caused by cysts on the ovaries. Wonder if that connects with progesterone. Progesterone is suppose to be a calming hormone. Has anyone done hormonal panels on their PANDAS kids?

I have a son with PANS and a daughter who was diagnosed with Lyme in May/June this year. My daughter has suffered severely with anxiety, depression, mood swings,add, slight ocd, eating disorder, allergies hives and so on. No psych meds have ever worked and she would have allergic reactions to meds. She's tried about 4 different birth control pills and had to stop them all for several reasons....4 months ago she tried Camila (progestin only bcp) and she's not perfect but she is soooooo much better. Still a bit moody at times but it's like night and day. She is now working more on her general health and mental health. So maybe there is something to this. hmmm.