ACN Latitudes Forums

Long term treatment with Azithromycin / Testing for Mycoplasma Pneomon

Can those whose kids were/hare being treated with Zithromax (Azithromycin) under any of its commercial names write to tell briefly

Why was this antibiotics selected

What dose was/is being used

How long

Who prescribed

In case your child was tested for Mycoplasma Pneomoniae

Can you please tell us who was the Dr suggesting that and if possible add an e-mail address and/or fax & phone numbers for the doctor

If the results were positive, do mention them if you feel comfortable with that.

This infoirmation will help us a great deal to plan how to proceed with Sandra's treatment.

Her condition is currently very bad and going down.

If you consider the information personal, write privately to my box or to batsheva.myllys@gmail.com

On the other hand, such cumulative information may be important to other cases.

Million thanks from the Frozen North

This forum is a ray of sunshine!

Bat-Sheva

My dd (92 lbs and 13 years old) is on 500mg of Azihtromycin as well as 2000mg of Augmentin XR. I got our family doctor to try the "Saving Sammy" dose of Augmentin and when we visited Dr. trifiletti in NJ in mid December, he added the Zith. It is a broader spectrum antibiotic than Augmentin and it works in a different way. I'm not sure how long she will be on it. Good luck figuring things out for your dd.

Angela

Hello

Our dd6 (60lbs) is on 300mg zith twice a week for prophylaxis (total 600mg). She has been on it since Nov 2008 with treatment courses of zith and other antibiotics prior to that and a number of treatment courses of zith since Nov 2008. We used zith originally 'cos she had a reaction to amoxicillin which we thought may be allergy but later turned out to be a toxic reaction. I also like the ease of not having to administer it every day and the long half life of zith, so if we are late on a dose it isn't as much an issue as it would be with penicillin.

Our ped prescribed and we'll use it indefinitely....

Our ds2 (35lbs) is also on zith 160mg twice a week (total 320mg). He is allergic to amoxicillin. Again our ped prescribed and we will use it for now until we can get a clearer picture of whether he is definitely PANDAS or not. Our dd has a PANDAS diagnosis and it looks likely that he may be PANDAS too.

My dd has been on Azith 250mg/day since June 08 (started when she was 44 pounds, now is 58). We would consider increasing the dose if needed (as she has grown)...but she also had IVIG in Aug. 09 so perhaps that won't be necessary.

Azith. was the 4th antibiotic we tried after dd was diagnosed in March 08. Dd had initial mood improvement with 10 days of Augmentin (but didn't do the Saving Sammy dose) but backslid with Amoxicillin (and then later 10 days of Ceftiofur). We think dd's strep was intracellular, which is why Azith. worked. Also, Augmentin didn't clear younger sister (assymptomatic strep carrier) while Azith (just 5 days worth) did. Azith. is also immune-modulating /anti-inflammatory. When we tried to decrease the dose to 125mg/day last spring, we noticed a change for the worse, which is why we've maintained at 250mg/day.