ACN Latitudes Forums

When vocals change

faith

I'm curious about the course of vocal tics.

my son has had vocal tics for some years now, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but kind of always somewhat there.

recently this past summer, it kind of changed into a worse, more loud "EEww" type sound. it was kind of ongoing (about three months) until a few weeks ago. we started noticing he was shedding that, but kind of replacing it with an "oww"...."oww"....."ohhh".....type thing. He's still kind of doing that, but now after a few weeks of that, I'm noticing more of a little whimpering thing, like he'll sort of gasp and then go "oh, ...ooh.....uh".....he's not imitating a little whimpering puppy, but it does kind of sound like that. he can control it when appropriate, but of course I hear this mostly in the house.

My question is this. Would anyone think that the fact that they are changing and the loud one kind of went away, and this sound is softer, .... any chance that they are on the way down? could this be like going backwards and little by little getting milder? any chance this will hit the high road soon? ...... or is this just a change and it could go either way? I realize no one knows the answer, but wondering if anyone who has had a child with vocals has seen this pattern, changing of the sound, but it got progressively less of a more noticeable sound? and then stopped? just wondering if I could look at it this way?

p.s... he's not on any meds or abx right now, only a multi and probiotics which he's taken for a while now.

thanks

Faith

Hi Faith,

I have wondered that for awhile, and what I notice is the sounds always change and it seems like if he likes one he does it for some time. What I do think happened to or son somewhat of how you explained it was the, "words" as vocals. These seem to have the tapering off effect. That is how I viewed it for our son.

Hope that helped,

Cheers

for us the changes just represent the characteristic waxing and waning of TS tics

I must say tho that my son has never ever had the very loud vocals he had when younger. He was on l carnitine for a while when he got the banshee shrieking tic B) and after that, tho vocals have come and gone, we have never seen that intensity or frequency again

so basically, are you guys saying that the more intense ones, once they calmed doiwn, at least didn't go back to that level again? was it more a wax and wane, but on a more milder level at least? :)

CP, thanks but I don't think I got what you meant, a few typos there, so not sure if you got thru, ... lay off the wine before dinner, will ya?.... ^_^

Faith