ACN Latitudes Forums

Don't "Split" AugmentinXR

coco

As I was waiting for my augmentin refill this evening, I asked the pharmacist about different abx' and specifically about AugmentinXR. I know there was a recent post where folks discussed "splitting" those pills because they were horse pills and they had a hash mark on them to make it easier to take. The pharmacist told me NOT to spilt it because it does then change how and when the medication is absorbed. Just thought I'd post the info for those who were having there children take it and not wanting to "break the magic shell."

As I was waiting for my augmentin refill this evening, I asked the pharmacist about different abx' and specifically about AugmentinXR. I know there was a recent post where folks discussed "splitting" those pills because they were horse pills and they had a hash mark on them to make it easier to take. The pharmacist told me NOT to spilt it because it does then change how and when the medication is absorbed. Just thought I'd post the info for those who were having there children take it and not wanting to "break the magic shell."

Hi Coco,

It is always a good idea to check any info posted on this forum through other sources, so good for you to ask your pharmacist. As we PANDAS parents have seen so often with physicians, medical professionals often have incomplete knowledge but they state thier opinions as absolute fact. The ulimate authority in this case is the manufacurer, GlaxoSmithKline. When I posted that you can break the pill in half, I got that information straight from the GlaxoSmithKline manufacturer's website. Here is the quote.

"Scored AUGMENTIN XR Extended Release Tablets are available for greater convenience for adult patients who have difficulty swallowing. The scored tablet is not intended to reduce the dosage of medication taken; as stated in the table above, the recommended dose of AUGMENTIN XR is two tablets twice a day (every 12 hours)"

Here is the link.

http://www.gsk.com/products/prescription-m...s/augmentin.htm

Augmentin XR is the last product listed on the webpage on the this link. Click on it and the PDF file comes up. The info on how to take it is near the bottom. I guess it doesn't actually say you can break it in half, but what good does scoring it do if you don't break it? If you google 'Augmentin XR half' , several drug info web pages come up that also say you can break it in half.

Also, as you can see from the quote, the recommeneded adult dose is four tablets a day, granted that is for adults and is typically for 10 days, but it makes the point that two pills a day isn't really such a high dose after all.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Alex

I don't know about the ultimate authority being with the manufacturer...if you read through the entire GSK website it also says that "safety and effectiveness in patients younger than 16 years of age have not yet been established, and yet many kids much younger are using it. So, I think we have to evaluate all info from all sources and each make our own decision in the best interest of our children.

I don't know about the ultimate authority being with the manufacturer...if you read through the entire GSK website it also says that "safety and effectiveness in patients younger than 16 years of age have not yet been established, and yet many kids much younger are using it. So, I think we have to evaluate all info from all sources and each make our own decision in the best interest of our children.

I agree. I was just responding to your post, the title of which is 'Don't "Split" Augmentin XR'. The manufacurer says it is o.k. to split it. So it is not fact that you can't split it even though your pharamacist says otherwise.

I absolutely don't want to sound snooty but I also don't want parents who are using this medicine or considering it to stop because of some possibly false information.

My guess is that if you showed your pharmacist the guidelines for using the medicine written by the people that designed, patented and produce it that he or she would say 'Oh, I guess I was wrong'. If not I would ask for the source of their information, which for all I know they have.

Alex

I think the not splitting means only that splitting the tablet to take 1/2 a dose is not okay- but splitting it and taking both halves at the same time for ease of swallowing is okay. Usually w/ timed release medication, the active ingredients are encased in coatings that dissolve at different rates of time. So, splitting would mess that up, unless you take all at the same time.