ACN Latitudes Forums

Am I the only one who doesn't get the science?

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent but I have a confession... so many of these posts, articles and what not are going right over me. I was just curious if it is just me or if it's just that a lot of you have a science/medical background or just that you have been forced to understand the science out of a need to help your child? I feel thankful right now that my ds is mild because the science part of this is just so beyond me.

Mostly I just want someone to tell me I am not the only one.... so please someone.. tell me that you don't understand either cause it seems so many of you are able to carry on what appear to be extremely intelligent conversations regarding this all.

OK, since you are so brave, I will admit that I too struggle with the science. I understand the basics, but when Buster, Kim and SFMom get going on exotoxins, cytokeines and T-cells, it's hard for me to keep up! ^_^

Phew. That's what I was hoping. That there were others of me out there. I am in awe of their conversations.

^_^ ... I don't think any of us truly understand it all, but rather just desperately want to connect all the dots. ....

If I could get past all the fancy medical terminology, I MIGHT be able to discover something important... but that is what usually trips me up, the words. but I desperately want to figure these things out, so I just read what I can, ask some questions, and hope the brainer types here will figure the rest out for me!

btw, nice user name..... ;)

Faith

Have you noticed...I do not often reply and give any opinion to article threads:)

I think thats so funny.I wouldnt even know if those posts are true or not? They could be making stuff up for all I know.I do like reading them though..

Melanie

You made me laugh......... Let's just say hours and hours and hours and hours of reading, confirming my interpretations with others and an 'obsession' for needing know why. Remember, I have potentially three children with PANDAS.

Thankfully, I'm self employed, work from home and nobody is distracting my attention but PANDAS!!!!

I laughed at this too. I read so many papers over the past 80 months that I forget that antilysogangliosides aren't dinner conversations for everyone. I'm embarrassed to say they are now at our house. It really is my goal to make the material accessible to anyone -- so please send me an IM or post if it's not making sense.

No, you are not alone! I am COMPLETELY at sea, myself! :unsure:

I'd like to add my thanks, though, to folks like Buster, SFMom, EAMom, Vickie and Chemar who post all those articles, links and plain-spoken explanations for those fine arts majors out there like myself who barely know a chromosome from a rhysome, let alone an exotoxin from a cytokeine! ;)

Thanks!

Who else read Buster's post and tried to pronounce "antilysogangliosides" out loud and couldn't?

Oh I can say it! Of course I am sure I sound like I am speaking in a foreign language :huh: . I second all the thank you's above!!! I now have very healthy little file that I can use to combat most issues we run into with docs. I generally try to format a 1-2 sentence simple explanation & then just hand them the study. Buster, especially, has been helpful in turning things into "mom english". Like my favorite "40% of children with proven strep, don't run high titers". I really love saying that and then watching the doctors face when I hand them the study. Wait till I start handing out the newest one about improving med professionals darn ability to even get the rapid test right.....

And yep, I'm just like you. No clue - for the longest time. I have to print out the studies and read them VERY slowly, usually with a highlighter and lots of notes in the margin and Google at the ready for the long words!

I am so glad you posted this. I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels like this is above my understanding. Once they start using the big words, my brain tries to go into shut down mode. LOL

I consider myself to be fairly intelligent but I have a confession... so many of these posts, articles and what not are going right over me. I was just curious if it is just me or if it's just that a lot of you have a science/medical background or just that you have been forced to understand the science out of a need to help your child? I feel thankful right now that my ds is mild because the science part of this is just so beyond me.

Mostly I just want someone to tell me I am not the only one.... so please someone.. tell me that you don't understand either cause it seems so many of you are able to carry on what appear to be extremely intelligent conversations regarding this all.

I will have to join the list of much of it being over my head too. Whats worse my undergrad was in Biochem ( mind you been several decades since I did anything with that degree). I think alot of the problem for me is I need to start at the beginnig and work my way up. Having just joined this site I suddenly get thrown into some high tech topic and I have to sit there and think "what was that again? ". Its like you need to read it all with scientific dictionary at your side that can put it into simpler terms. Oh well hopefully will get there in the end.

Roz