ACN Latitudes Forums

Not sure my pediatrician is correct?

To quote Vickie "Well, I would go back and have a throat swab rapid and culture done 2 weeks post meds. I am guessing she doesn't want to do prophylactic antibiotics or have you not asked yet? One thing you can mention is your concern that the amoxicillan may not have been the right antibiotc to wipe out the strep entirely. This is an article about the failure rate of amoxicillan.This may buy you a whole new prescription from her"

Re Vickie's post here : I just asked a few questiions on another thread basically wondering why my son was on penicillin V tabs rather than augmentin, and then moved to this thread. Now I really am confused I thought augmentin is amoxicillin. If it has been shown to be realtively ineffective then why so many taking it?

Roz

"Well, I would go back and have a throat swab rapid and culture done 2 weeks post meds. I am guessing she doesn't want to do prophylactic antibiotics or have you not asked yet? One thing you can mention is your concern that the amoxicillan may not have been the right antibiotc to wipe out the strep entirely. This is an article about the failure rate of amoxicillan.This may buy you a whole new prescription from her"

Re Vickie's post here : I just asked a few questiions on another thread basically wondering why my son was on penicillin V tabs rather than augmentin, and then moved to this thread. Now I really am confused I thought augmentin is amoxicillin. If it has been shown to be realtively ineffective then why so many taking it?

Roz

Augmentin is amoxicillan with an added ingredient. That added ingredient makes it stronger.

The magic antibiotic for each child seems to vary. It seems like the majority of kids in this forum, have had the most sucess on Zithromax, Azith, high dose Augmentin, and some on Keflex. I think for some the region they live in also dictates what antibiotic works best for them.

Some kids do improve on good ole amoxicillan and penicillan. But if you do not see improvement or you see major backsliding, your child probably needs a different med.

I think we need another poll! What med has worked for you.