ACN Latitudes Forums

For those of you whose kids get the tummyache?

We use Prevacid for Stomach Ulcers. They seem to come with PANDAS but are not proven to be part of the issue. They have not yet gone away (5 months of abx, low levels) - if we miss the Prevacid, they come back. They worsen with even a mild exacerbation. The Prevacid has been a lifesaver. We will try to slowly get off this in Feb, but can stay on it for up to another year without review.

If your child has the constant tummyache... and it was related to strep did it go away from antibiotics?

Ours did, no more tummy ache on the right dose of antibiotics. Same with her roving pain, headaches, etc. Now that she is not feeling well and I think her strep may be back, it's starting to come back.

s

Time, antibiotics and steroids seemed to help my older daughter in the tummyaches dept. They are not/ were not ever gone- but it has reduced mostly to a minor complaint at bedtime (which is also when she usually has a bowel movement). For her I have come to the conclusion that she has become hypersensitive to what is going on in her digestive track. Initially, her tummy (actually abdomen) bothered her anytime something was going on down there; hunger, during eating, after eating, before and after bowel movement. It was terrible. Time from onset calmed things (a good 5 months), and then steroids and antibiotics continued the improvement. I think for her it may have started with stomach problems but has morphed into a sensory/anxiety thing. This is going on a year. We had lots of testing done, but stopped short of endoscopy (the doctor didn't think it was indicated- and I agree). This all started a week before a postive strep culture. Sigh.

When my son was hospitalized with severe symptoms (still wasn't being properly treated), he tested positive for strep + had Sydenham's Chorea, his stomachache (that he'd had for months) went away completely with IV antibiotics. My other son is now getting the stomach ache (not as bad, but still constant) for about 1 month. We thought it was the antibiotic, but he is now getting other symptoms of being sick (for him it could be strep, flu, viral, cold, etc.) I need to check with his doc about possibly changing the antibiotic if it doesn't go away when his current, apparent illness is over. BTW...he has had PEX.

Time, antibiotics and steroids seemed to help my older daughter in the tummyaches dept. They are not/ were not ever gone- but it has reduced mostly to a minor complaint at bedtime (which is also when she usually has a bowel movement). For her I have come to the conclusion that she has become hypersensitive to what is going on in her digestive track. Initially, her tummy (actually abdomen) bothered her anytime something was going on down there; hunger, during eating, after eating, before and after bowel movement. It was terrible. Time from onset calmed things (a good 5 months), and then steroids and antibiotics continued the improvement. I think for her it may have started with stomach problems but has morphed into a sensory/anxiety thing. This is going on a year. We had lots of testing done, but stopped short of endoscopy (the doctor didn't think it was indicated- and I agree). This all started a week before a postive strep culture. Sigh.

That could be my daughter! Once she stopped panicking, we started tracking her stomach aches, and they were ALWAYS when she needed to have a bowel movement, was hungry, or was full. We got to the point where she would say "my tummy hurts" and I'd say "are you hungry or do you need to poop?" It was like she had lost her ability to interpret her body - or that she was hyper sensitive to any change in her GI. We did the endoscope because we thought she might have Celiac, but we found 8-10 inflamed areas that were clearly Ulcers in the lab. They ran the tests twice for us at the lab because they could not believe that she did not have H. Pylori.