ACN Latitudes Forums

High Dose Antibiotics Other than Augmentin ever tried?

Augmentin has been noted as affecting some children with PANDAS when given in a "high-enough" dose--

I would like to know if anyone has used "high-dose" treatments successfully of other antibiotics? How much?

Thanks--

TMom

Augmentin has been noted as affecting some children with PANDAS when given in a "high-enough" dose--

I would like to know if anyone has used "high-dose" treatments successfully of other antibiotics? How much?

Thanks--

TMom

My dd6 (about 42 lbs) was put on clindamycin 300mg 3x/day for ten days. For the last few days of that treatment we saw a lot of improvement at home. She was making decisions and answering yes or no questions...they didn't see as much improvement at school though.

At the time, we attributed her improvement to the fact that she had just had her second CBT appointment.

Her last dose was a Monday afternoon, by Wednesday morning she was worse...she seemed to shift from emotional lability to ragey tantrums, and when we took her back to her third CBT the following week....she was "very difficult" according the the therapist....later in a private meeting we were told that she was actually crawling on the floor and growling.

Hindsight being 20/20 I believe that we were seeing some anti-inflammatory benefits to the high doses of clindamycin. I have tried to find information about it being anti-inflammatory, and definately one of the reasons it is used as a topical for acne is because of the anti-inflammatory properties....but it is probably a long stretch to effects on the skin to effects on the brain....so it is really just my hunch.

Just a warning....don't even go near the liquid clindamycin...it is too nasty...capsules can be opened and added to food...we used chocolate pudding.