ACN Latitudes Forums

Seasonal Allergies

Hello All,

Its been a while since I have posted. Things have been a bit crazy at home. My son has been doing well. I started him on B6, B1 and Mag Zinc & Cal. along with his multi. It seems to be helping. I am still looking for a Dr. ( I started getting frustrated so I just dropped the ball) I will start looking again this summer when things are more mellow for myself and my son.

My question is for anyone out there that can give me any info on what I can do for my sons Allergies (hayfever type) I would prefer not to give him any type of perscription meds. My son is such an outdoor person. Any info would be helpful.

One more question...

I keep hearing that you have to give a good childs multi-vit but I am not sure what constitutes it as good. Can you please let me know which brands you all are using and if they are chewable or not. My son can swallow pills ok but my daughter can not.

Thank you

Gina

Guest Guest_efgh

Gina

good to know that your son is doing well. Can you please let me know which brand and dosage of B1 and B6 that you are giving your son?

Are these supplements helping your son's vocal tics too?

Reg. allergies, I would also like to hear from the rest ...

goodluck!

Efgh

Guest Guest

Efgh,

The brand of B1 and B6 that I use are Whole Foods brand and Country Life both are vegetarian and the Country Life are also Hypoallergenic. My son gets 100mg of B1 and 50mg of B6 getting ready to up it to 100mg to see if it makes a difference. For the Cal-Mag-Zinc it is in liquid form and I give him 2 tsp in a smoothy every morning and its by MRM. I get them all at Whole Foods Market

My sons vocal tics are few and far between. He mostly has facial twitches and head and arm tics. When he does get a vocal tic it shows up by a throat clearing and we have not seen much of that since we changed his diet. He is right now doing this cough thing but he says its not his TS. I think it might be his allergies bothering his throat. And thats why I made my post yesturday about Allergies.

Gina

Hi, I'm not sure who I am talking to but my 5 year old son has mainly the same tics as was discribed above. I was wondering if the dosage of vitamins was recommended by a doctor and if not why was this dosage chosen. If it has any success, of course it would be of great interest to me.

Hi Andy and welcome to Latitudes

Most of us here use variations of vitamins and supplements to help our loved ones who have either fullblown TS or transient tics.

have you been to Bonnie's website?

She devised a supplement program for her son with Ts and had such success with it that she now markets it as Bontech products http://www.BonnieGr.com

I use a variation of her program, fine tuned to suit my son's needs of comorbid TS/OCD/ADD and have also had remarkable success in bringing his symptoms from very severe to mild.

We devised my son's treatment under the guidance of a team of Integrative Physicians who specialize in alternative medicine.

Hope you get lots of benefit here at Latitudes as there is a wealth of information here in the Forum and also fron the excellent articles etc that you can access from the Home page.

:)

Andy,

I forgot to log in on my last reply so it came up as guest.

I did exactly what Chemar said in her post. I went to Bonnies Supplements and took the info from there. I have not found a Dr. yet so this is all on my own and with the help from many people who post here.

Anyone have any suggestions on my original post about Allergies??? What methods you use etc..... Were heading out of town this weekend to a place that I know will be hard on my sons allergies.

Thanks

Gina

Hi Gina,

Dr. Weil is one source of information for nonprescription allergy treatments. He recommends stinging nettles (freeze dried). I tried this with my older son and he thought it helped a little bit with his hay fever. He had no side effects from them. However, his allergies seem better now in general, and I think it's due to increased omega 3's (fish oils) he's been getting for the last years. Here are Dr. Weil's comments in his letter of 5/17/2004:

Today's Tip: Suffering from Seasonal Allergies?

If sneezing and itchy eyes are part of your day-to-day life come spring, you may have seasonal allergies. Two effective remedies I recommend to combat allergy symptoms are freeze-dried stinging nettles and butterbur. Both of these herbs perform as well as antihistamines, without the drowsiness that antihistamines can cause. If your allergies are particularly bad, make some dietary changes too: eliminate dairy (to avoid immune-system irritation), increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids (try wild Alaskan salmon, freshly ground flaxseeds, or fish oil supplements) and eat plenty of antioxidant-rich fruits such as berries and cherries to help modify the body's inflammatory response.

I couldn't find a link for Dr. Weil saying this directly (the letter comes by e-mail), but here is one that talks about his recommendation:

http://www.wildroots.com/allergies.html

Hello Gina and all,

Re Allergy treatments, may I refer you to my post of today's date under the "A prayer that has helped me" thread. I posted there regarding the remarkable help my daughter my daughter has been receiving for her allergies.

Perhaps it will help you.

Regards,

Sherry

Guest Guest

This looks great and the information you posted about Body Talk makes sense and is very interesting. I really believe that much of the TS diagnosis nowadays would not happen or would be reversed if diet and allergies were looked at more carefully and treated. I believe that many doctors are too quick to prescribe all sorts of medications for ailments without looking deeper to find the real root of the problem. You are lucky to find a general practitioner in traditional medicine who is also trained in alternative treatments - great combination and very rare. I wish you continued success. Thanks for taking the time and caring enough to share so much detail.

Guest annie

i just read through this thread and noted the pattern for symptoms in the spring months! Doesn't that tell us a story here? I too believe that a lot of what is happening to our children could be allergy related. If not, why then would so many be experiencing strongest symptoms all at the same time? (Even in different parts of the country and the world). This is definately food for thought.

Annie