ACN Latitudes Forums

Sensory Tic

My son, now age 14, has been diagnosed with Tourette's since age 5 when he began with eye blinking, neck twisting and diaphraphatic movements/"huffing". Along with these has been an abdominal "cold, electric" feeling. His eye/neck/"huffing" is much better these days, but the abdominal sensation is much worse. He also feels as if his diaphram area is always "tense". He is on a very limited diet these days, as sugar, grease, artificial ingredients and soda pop made this abdominal sensation unbearable. My son often does many sit-ups in order to help relieve this sensation, with limited relief. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of a sensory tic and what they did to help the situation. Currently my son is taking Tenex and supplements with B vitamins/grape seed/Magnesium Taurate and fish oil. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Hi

I have asked my son about this and he says it has only ever happened to him when he has had tics where he has had to tense his abdominal muscles....the result has sometimes been that kind of diaphragm pain.

I know nothing about Tenex...but could this be a side effect maybe.

Hope it gets better for him

:)

JanetY (and others) :

I have been out of town and just got back, but what a coincidence..

I don't have tics, my son did from computers, but I had the same tests done and found I had issues with yeast and elevated metals, food sensitivities and vitamin deficiencies.

Well everything was going great--I stopped the offending foods (mostly milk) and my head was much clearer. I was taking the vitamins for a couple of weeks with no issues.

Then I added two things simultaneously (meaning I don't know the culprit): fish oil --which turned out to have essence of peach in it and I didn't realize it--peach is something I am allergic too, and a yeast remedie with not just capryllic acid but tea tree oil and something else--e.g. stronger than I had been using.

Anyway, my diaphram (sp) started to get tight and it was harder to breathe and to find a deep enough breath to get 'enough' air. It was AWFUL. This went on for 3 days until I realized that it was related to the supplements. Anyway, I stopped taking all of them and it went away completely within a day or so.

Now I am back from my trip and will add them in one at a time until I figure out what the issue was. My point is that in my case it may have been as simple as a food allergy (e.g. the peach essence in the fish oil, or perhaps the fishoil itself), so the same could be true of your child. I realize in my case it could also have been yeast die-off since my doctor warned me to not treat the yeast with more than a little capryllic acid because my antioxidant levels were too low.

I would wait until I knew for sure to write this, but wanted to catch you in case you were still checking the board. It also occurred to me that I know some people's kids have issues with the fish oil, and if it is flavored fish oil, it could be the flavoring they are reacting to.

Ironically, my doctor didn't suggest either the fish oil and wanted me to wait on treating the yeast, so either way it is my 'fault!'.

But I really feel for your child having just gone through this myself for only 3 days--and it wasn't constant, but very frequent. (I wasn't making noise, but was very aware of my breathing) I will keep you posted on what I uncover. Though I know everyone is different, perhaps it is a food allergy in your case--or a reaction to the fish oil!

Oh yes, several months ago, another poster had a similar issue and said that by eliminating all artificial colors and flavor and preservatives (e.g. a feingold diet, thought they didn't say feingold), they completely stopped their long standing breathing issue!

Claire

ps efgh, I agree with Chemar that Mrs. Doubtfyre makes a strong argument for eve primrose oil with the fishoil. When I asked my doctor, he agreed that our son should do both of them. He takes vitamin E also with his antioxidants (no multivite).

ps Sherry, Glad re your good news! Oh dear though, now I have 3 energy solutions to investigate: yours, nmt and naet!!

Guest Guest_efgh

Claire

Welcome back. Can you please tell me what dosage of vitamin E your son takes on a daily basis along with fish oil? What dosage of fish oil?

Sherry and others

Bodytalk sounds really interesting and like Claire, I am too keen to investigate it further.

thanks.

Welcome back Claire. I wish both you and efgh success in your investigations of Body Talk. My daughter continues to do well and I'm praying for permanent relief. I'll keep you posted on our progress. :)

I thought I should mention that there is an interesting article in the June '04 issue of "let's live" (health and preventative medicine mag) titled "get rid of allergies without a prescription." Interesting read.

Sherry