ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotics in the meat industries

LNN

For the past year, people would raise their eyebrows as I told them my son was on prophylactics. Wasn't I worried about resistance and MRSA? Wasn't what I was doing "bad for the herd"? My response was always that of course I am, but we could talk about my son's contribution to the issue only after the cattle and pork farmers stopped feeding their animals antibiotics with every meal. Thought some of you would find this article interesting...

70% of the anitbiotics used in this country are given to animals - 70%!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091228/ap_on_...the_meat_we_eat

For the past year, people would raise their eyebrows as I told them my son was on prophylactics. Wasn't I worried about resistance and MRSA? Wasn't what I was doing "bad for the herd"? My response was always that of course I am, but we could talk about my son's contribution to the issue only after the cattle and pork farmers stopped feeding their animals antibiotics with every meal. Thought some of you would find this article interesting...

70% of the anitbiotics used in this country are given to animals - 70%!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091228/ap_on_...the_meat_we_eat

That is so interesting!

Excellent.. thanks for that. I'd thought about that a number of times but never bothered to find anything to back it up...... now I can argue from a psoition of smugness!!! :-)

PS if you're interested in this issue in general "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is an excellent read....

Excellent.. thanks for that. I'd thought about that a number of times but never bothered to find anything to back it up...... now I can argue from a psoition of smugness!!! :-)

PS if you're interested in this issue in general "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is an excellent read....

Yes, that IS an excellent book.

I have to admit, it makes me feel a little ironic, personally. I've been shopping only organic, hormone-free meat and dairy for the last several years, but now I'm giving abx to my son daily . . . and in high doses! If we just stuck with meat provided by these "factory farms," maybe we could forego the freestanding abxa and just "protein dose" 3 times daily, minimum of 6 oz. per meal?! :huh: