ACN Latitudes Forums

Licking lips

evemac

Hi Everyone,

Since this summer's utterance from the pediatric neurologist that my 5 year old son's behavior might be Tourette's, I realize that there's going to be many things that I need to do to help my young child. The tic that's been manifesting itself since September 2009 when he changed classrooms is a licking of his lips and the areas around them and then wiping the areas with the sleeve of his shirt. He skin is so badly chaffed and chapped right now that it hurts him, yet he is incredibly resistant to us putting any topical ointment on his skin. We used to put zinc oxide on at night, but he now wakes up when we apply the ointment and/or wipes it off immediately after. The pediatrician recommended that we use hydrocordozone ointment which if "I warm it up", he'll let me rub in for about 10 seconds, but then will immediately wipe off. We also talked to a psychologist who works primarily with OCD patients. She recommended

a behavior modification program where he essentially earns stars every time he lets us put anything on or if he uses a shea butter moisturizing stick, but that's been minimally successful.

Anyone been there? Anyone have some suggestions? Advice?

Hi

this is a fairly common tic.

hopefully as he gets older he will be more able to adapt to cognitive behavioral therapy in order to prevent and/or heal any injury caused by tics/OCD

when my son had the lip licking/wiping tic, we found warm chamomille teabags helpful. My son found them soothing and they dont have that sticky feeling that ointment gives

Hi Everyone,

Since this summer's utterance from the pediatric neurologist that my 5 year old son's behavior might be Tourette's, I realize that there's going to be many things that I need to do to help my young child. The tic that's been manifesting itself since September 2009 when he changed classrooms is a licking of his lips and the areas around them and then wiping the areas with the sleeve of his shirt. He skin is so badly chaffed and chapped right now that it hurts him, yet he is incredibly resistant to us putting any topical ointment on his skin. We used to put zinc oxide on at night, but he now wakes up when we apply the ointment and/or wipes it off immediately after. The pediatrician recommended that we use hydrocordozone ointment which if "I warm it up", he'll let me rub in for about 10 seconds, but then will immediately wipe off. We also talked to a psychologist who works primarily with OCD patients. She recommended

a behavior modification program where he essentially earns stars every time he lets us put anything on or if he uses a shea butter moisturizing stick, but that's been minimally successful.

Hello,

My son7 had the very same tic. He would cry. I tried the warm chamomille tea bag pressed against his lips and it worked!! He didnn't want to do it at first but when he gave in he was so happy. ZEven now when his lips slightly get red he goes and makes it himself. I received this great solution from this forum!!

Mar

Hi

hopefully as he gets older he will be more able to adapt to cognitive behavioral therapy in order to prevent and/or heal any injury caused by tics/OCD

when my son had the lip licking/wiping tic, we found warm chamomille teabags helpful. My son found them soothing and they dont have that sticky feeling that ointment gives

Thank you for the advice! Sorry to be dim, but do you prepare the tea bags as if you were making tea and then apply? Do you just get them slightly wet and then warm them up in the microwave?

Hi Everyone,

Hello,

My son7 had the very same tic. He would cry. I tried the warm chamomille tea bag pressed against his lips and it worked!! He didnn't want to do it at first but when he gave in he was so happy. ZEven now when his lips slightly get red he goes and makes it himself. I received this great solution from this forum!!

Mar

Thanks so much! I will definitely try the tea!

Hi

Chemar

My sons tics have gotten better but it seems his OCD kicks in and it comes and goes with severity. Some of the major ones that I think is OCD is for example when we are driving he keeps asking when will we get there and then he will say how many minutes are left every couple of minutes. It seems like it kicked in over the holidays. He gets very excited when he sees his cousins. I think this kicks it in for him. When your son had OCD did he seem more irritable and did he get anger easily during those times.. My son is also very detailed when he explains things (is this OCD). I have read your posts about cognitive behavioral therapy for the OCD. At what age did your son go? Did it help him. Once again I feel my son (7) would think I am crazy if I had him talk to someone about this. He would say nothing is wrong. Any info on common OCD/tic and insight on the therapy would be very helpful. Also is there a supplement that could help that you would recommend.

Mar

Hi

Thank you for the advice! Sorry to be dim, but do you prepare the tea bags as if you were making tea and then apply? Do you just get them slightly wet and then warm them up in the microwave?

I put the tea bag in hot water for about a minute and then sqeeze out some of the water and put in on his lips. After a little bit once it starts cooling off I redip in hot tap water and do the same. This helped him so much that when he finally agreed to doing it he looked and me and said what can I do for my eye blinking. I basically cried inside but was so happy that I was able to help with something! I hope it works like it did for me.

Mar

Hi Everyone,

Hello,

Mar

Thanks so much! I will definitely try the tea!

I forgot to mention that I always put aquaphor (healing ointment) on his lips during these episodes. Depending how bad it is (his got very bad at times) he might complain of stinging. But I would always put it on at bedtime. It really helped!

Hi

Chemar

My sons tics have gotten better but it seems his OCD kicks in and it comes and goes with severity. Some of the major ones that I think is OCD is for example when we are driving he keeps asking when will we get there and then he will say how many minutes are left every couple of minutes. It seems like it kicked in over the holidays. He gets very excited when he sees his cousins. I think this kicks it in for him. When your son had OCD did he seem more irritable and did he get anger easily during those times.. My son is also very detailed when he explains things (is this OCD). I have read your posts about cognitive behavioral therapy for the OCD. At what age did your son go? Did it help him. Once again I feel my son (7) would think I am crazy if I had him talk to someone about this. He would say nothing is wrong. Any info on common OCD/tic and insight on the therapy would be very helpful. Also is there a supplement that could help that you would recommend.

Mar

Hi Mar

yes, OCD waxing seems to bring irritibility etc for my son too

He was 11 when he started CBT

you may want to try Inositol and see if it helps your son

It is a B vitamin known to help OCD and has the lowest potential for side effects. Best to start at the lowest dose (500mg/day) and go up if needed.

Omega 3 is also recommended tho some people tic more with fishoil version. we use flaxseed oil

when my son's OCD was very severe years ago. we also used 5HTP but it is very strong and IMHO your little one may be too young for it. Perhaps the pure tryptophan could help? but again I am not sure if too young for that. there are posts here by others who have used it successfully. it provides a very rapid increase in serotonin, which is usually deficient in OCD patients

my son currently takes a combination of Inositol (1 gm/daily) and samE (200-400 mg/daily) and finds this combo has really worked for his OCD

but remember he is 20yo so a big age difference!

• 1 month later...

My son licks his lips like this. My husband says he makes himself look like a clown. I did this same thing as a young child. My son's lips are bleeding now. I remind him not to lick them, and I regularly apply olive oil. It will pass. It always does. I've noticed he only does this during the winter months (he's 6.5 years now). We are all supplementing with vitamin D spray, because I think that helps somewhat.

LOTS of kids lick their lips and get the ring around their lips in the winter.

Both of my kids have had this (one has tics the other does not).

For my son, I let him take chapstick to school, which I label with his name and let him keep in his desk. At night, we use Aquaphor, which was a huge help. My homeopath wanted us to use candula cream, but my son did not tolerate it well. He said it stung.

Once the irritation went away (with the Aquaphor) he'd stop licking. So, preventive care and getting right on top of it when it started was important for us.

Fortunately, this winter we have not had to deal with this one. Good luck!