ACN Latitudes Forums

L-Tryptophan

Kayanne

Tryptophan has always been one of those mystery supplements for me. My doctor uses energy testing to determine if my body would benefit from a particular supplement, and how much to take, when to take it, and so on. This has proven to be a very effective and valuable tool. Though some scoff at the energy testing, or don't understand it, because it looks too much like magic, it is real. The proof comes when I take things that I test bad for, I get worse. When I take things I test good for, I get better. When I run out of things I test good for, and stop temporarily, I notice, and so on.

All that being said, tryptophan, along with taurine, are the ones that I keep testing as being good for me, but, whenever I take them, it's bad. Tryptophan made me absolutely wired and unable to sleep, and maybe a slight headache. This is more or less the opposite of the intended effect. So, I am also interested to hear others' results from taking tryptophan.

Michael

• 3 months later...

5-HTP is Tryptophan. Dr. K. has recommended it, as well as our holistic chiropractor. Also, try eating foods high in tryptophan. I found, purely by chance, that peanuts worked like magic. this was before I knew what was wrong with my son. I was looking for something high in protein, non-meat (he doesn't like meat), and high in good fat. It stopped the rages, literally in anything from 1 - 5 minutes! He either ate 1 - 2 T. of peanutbutter, or 1 - 2 small handfuls of peanuts.

Now, keep in mind, my son HATES peanuts, so I know there's no way it was a placebo effect. And, trust me, the rages can be horrendous! About 2 years later, I found out that it was very high in tryptophan, an excellent source of stabilizing blood sugar, and because it's high in fat, it probably takes the tryptophan to the brain a lot faster than water-soluble sources. This is just my theory. I'd love to know if it works as well for some of you guys.

I found, purely by chance, that peanuts worked like magic. this was before I knew what was wrong with my son. I was looking for something high in protein, non-meat (he doesn't like meat), and high in good fat. It stopped the rages, literally in anything from 1 - 5 minutes! He either ate 1 - 2 T. of peanutbutter, or 1 - 2 small handfuls of peanuts.

Now, keep in mind, my son HATES peanuts, so I know there's no way it was a placebo effect. And, trust me, the rages can be horrendous! About 2 years later, I found out that it was very high in tryptophan, an excellent source of stabilizing blood sugar, and because it's high in fat, it probably takes the tryptophan to the brain a lot faster than water-soluble sources. This is just my theory. I'd love to know if it works as well for some of you guys.

This is really, really interesting! My son also doesn't eat meat, but he does like peanut butter (somewhat). I'll have to try this the next time he get's cranky!

my son successfully used 5HTP

The body makes 5HTP from tryptophan and both are converted to serotonin in the brain.

the intitial effect of the 5HTP (low dose @ 50mg each night) was a life saver for my son. It stopped the very very serious problems he has having with his tourettic OCD, anxiety, depression etc

Once things had stabilized, he weaned off it and stuck with Inositol and methionine as his primary serotonin boosters

when he had a waxing some years later he tried both 5HTP and tryptophan and like Michael mentioned, both wired him and made him spacy and edgy, the opposite of what they should do.

so he never tried them again and instead switched to the samE form of methionine which seems to really work well for him

I have used it with my girls in the past to help with their sleep patterns. But since I have not tested their neurotransmitters, I get nervous about using it too much and we just use melatonin for sleep.

I, on the other hand, have low neurotransmitters and my doc has me loaded down with 5-htp and I LOVE it. It is helping me sleep and feel better. I take it at lunch, dinner and bedtime and if I wake up at night I take more. My neurotransmitters are so low, my doc says at this point I can take as much as I like. Now he is testing me every 4-6 months to see how I am doing.

Susan