ACN Latitudes Forums

DAN practitioner

Hello everyone, I took your advice and researched the DAN providers and came up with a few that look promising. I would like to ask for your advise, which one I should consider. One of these doctor’s specialized in neurology and psychiatry, but does not provide any other testing or detoxification. The other one provides the testing and specialized in developmental pediatrics and medical acupuncture. I also found one doctor that actually was a co-founder of the DAN project (no details on treatment though). I copied their posts and would really appreciate your input.

I am scared to begin this treatment as much as I am scared of keeping my son the meds. There were no side effects at all for now, and ticks are practically non-existent, but a long term of Abilify (TD possibility) is out of the question. I try to observe his reqctions to food and noticed that he reacts to blue coloring , he gets eye ticks. But he loves his sweets.

I would really appreciate your opinion, since most of you had plenty of good and bad experiences. Beata J.

Stephen Cowan, M.D.

Specialties: Developmental Pediatrics, Medical Acupuncture

Vitamin/mineral supplementation: Yes

Essential fatty acids: Yes

Gluten and casein-free diet: Yes

Diet avoiding food allergens and yeast: Yes

Feingold diet: Yes

Digestive aids/Probiotics: Yes

Colostrum: Yes

Transfer Factor:

Antifungal pharmaceuticals and nutriceuticals: Yes

Secretin:

Heavy metal detoxification: Yes

IVIG:

Antiviral medications: Yes

Other: Acupuncture

Approx. time spent on initial consultation: 1 1/2 hrs.

Approx. time spend on follow-up consultations: 30 - 45 mins.

DAN Conferences: Chicago (1995), Boston (2002)

Jay Lombard, M.D.

Brain Behavior Center

Specialties: Neurology & Psychiatry

Vitamin/mineral supplementation: Yes

Essential fatty acids: Yes

Gluten and casein-free diet: Yes

Diet avoiding food allergens and yeast:

Feingold diet:

Digestive aids/Probiotics:

Colostrum:

Transfer Factor: Yes

Antifungal pharmaceuticals and nutriceuticals:

Secretin:

Heavy metal detoxification:

IVIG:

Antiviral medications:

Approx. time spent on initial consultation: 45 mins.

Approx. time spend on follow-up consultations: 20 mins.

DAN Conferences: Dallas (1995)

Sidney M. Baker, M.D.

DAN Conferences: Co-Founder of the Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!) Project

Beata,

I did exactly what you are doing. I went through the DAN list and saw what each doctor would and wouldn't do.

If you find metals (and there is a reasonable chance of this), it is important that they be proficient in detox. I have heard stories of people who got worse because of the detox process their Dr. used.

For this reason , plus the fact that he went to a more recent conference and therefore is presumably more up on the current DAN protocols and findings, I would personally have chosen Stephen Cowan, M.D. this area is so new that the doctors need to be constantly keeping themselves up to date.

Of course , you could always call the other Dr. and ask him questions to see whether for some reason his form does not adequately represent his actual expertise and current knowledge base.

The one thing that I have found is that the doctor's background outside of their DAN protocol is less relevant to their current experience with the DAN protocol.

There is not enough information on Sidney Baker. You would need to call and go through the list.

Good luck! Both my son and I have had such a positive experience with our DAN Dr. ---from my posts you know that I really believe their testing protocol.

Claire