ACN Latitudes Forums

strep following PEX

brooke

We are almost two weeks post PEX, and just diagnosed with Strep. We had AMAZING results for that period. So far a bit of an exacerbation, and not too fun. We will switch antibiotics to treat the strep. Any input from others would be welcome.

Just as we were thinking we could do a normal academic environment!

Thanks, as always, for your support!

Brooke, How frustrating! What abx and dosage was your child on when he got strep? What are you switching to?

name='brooke' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:35 PM' post='48883']

We are almost two weeks post PEX, and just diagnosed with Strep. We had AMAZING results for that period. So far a bit of an exacerbation, and not too fun. We will switch antibiotics to treat the strep. Any input from others would be welcome.

Just as we were thinking we could do a normal academic environment!

Thanks, as always, for your support!

Brooke, sorry to hear about the strep. The big question is why a new strep infection. Does your child still have tonsil/ adenoids? Any chance they are the culprits? Checking the other family members is also a great idea. And also, why an infection while on antibiotics. Were you on full strength or prophlactic dose?

As we learned from our own PEX experience, afterward you have to stay on full stregnth antibiotics for a long time, mainly for this very reason. After you get rid of the infection I would imagine that a steriod burst would be a good idea. I haven't seen any good info on how steriods impact the effectiveness of antibiotics but would imagine antibioitcs don't work as well because they need to work with the immune system to kill the strep, and the immune system as I understand it is pretty much shut down while on the steroid. So, my lay persons opinion is antibiotics first, then the steroid. Number one though is figure out why a new infection and keep it from happening again. .

We started seeing Dr. Bouboulis and he strongly believes that PEX has to be followed up with IVIG.

Alex

I believe the thought with steroids is decreases swelling and perhaps closes the BBB. They are having great success in treatment with Kawasaki's, Fibromyalgia and CFS with IVIG in conjunction with Steroids.

Dr. K concurs that PEX should be followed up with IVIG.

-Wendy

Brooke, sorry to hear about the strep. The big question is why a new strep infection. Does your child still have tonsil/ adenoids? Any chance they are the culprits? Checking the other family members is also a great idea. And also, why an infection while on antibiotics. Were you on full strength or prophlactic dose?

As we learned from our own PEX experience, afterward you have to stay on full stregnth antibiotics for a long time, mainly for this very reason. After you get rid of the infection I would imagine that a steriod burst would be a good idea. I haven't seen any good info on how steriods impact the effectiveness of antibiotics but would imagine antibioitcs don't work as well because they need to work with the immune system to kill the strep, and the immune system as I understand it is pretty much shut down while on the steroid. So, my lay persons opinion is antibiotics first, then the steroid. Number one though is figure out why a new infection and keep it from happening again. .

We started seeing Dr. Bouboulis and he strongly believes that PEX has to be followed up with IVIG.

Alex