ACN Latitudes Forums

TSA funded research/ GABA

Chemar

I just got the annual booklet from the Tourette Syndrome Association listing their funding for new research studies...fascinating stuff!

one study that caught my eye was a grant to Dr Babara Coffey at NYU medical school for study on GABA and TS, with hypothesis that people with TS are deficient in GABA in the basal ganglia and cortical regions of the brain, specifically the anterior cingulate cortex, both brain regions that have been implicated by past research as being the main areas of dysfunction in TS

Interesting in the light of anecdotal reports of GABA supplementation helping with certainly the anxiety aspects related to some people with TS

anyone who is interested in getting one of these 2009-2010 booklets on the medical and scientific programs/research can contact the TSA and they will send it free of charge http://www.tsa-usa.org

I just got the annual booklet from the Tourette Syndrome Association listing their funding for new research studies...fascinating stuff!

one study that caught my eye was a grant to Dr Babara Coffey at NYU medical school for study on GABA and TS, with hypothesis that people with TS are deficient in GABA in the basal ganglia and cortical regions of the brain, specifically the anterior cingulate cortex, both brain regions that have been implicated by past research as being the main areas of dysfunction in TS

Interesting in the light of anecdotal reports of GABA supplementation helping with certainly the anxiety aspects related to some people with TS

anyone who is interested in getting one of these 2009-2010 booklets on the medical and scientific programs/research can contact the TSA and they will send it free of charge http://www.tsa-usa.org

where is gama located? Is it a suppliment

Hi Melanie

it is known as GABA not gama, and stands for gamma aminobutyric acid

it is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS, which is why it needs to be used with great care!!! and preferably under physician supervision

and yes, it can be bought as a supplement, usually used for anxiety

GABA can have some nasty withdrawal symptoms.

As other posters have said, be careful.

[/quote

What sort of withdrawl symptoms?

Chemar, so does it primarily help with anxiety rather then tics?

Is anyone using GABA with good results?

thanks

Hi chap

we have used it for anxiety...minuscule amount and for short periods only as needed.

the outline of the study in the TSA grant award booklet was the first I had heard re it's possible action re tics, tho I am sure there must be other studies if this grant was awarded to further study the connection

the warnings we were given by the psychiatrist who prescribed it for my son were never to use it with any medication and with caution when using any sups that alter neurotransmitter levels including all the amino acids etc

essential to tell the physician of all meds and supps prior to starting it to be sure of no interaction

because it is a powerful neuro inhibitor (in a class with something like the med diazepam=valium) too rapid withdrawal can result in hyper excitability of the CNS with epilepric like seizures and other stuff that you dont want to happen

this really isnt one of those "try it and see supps" but best treated as a medication and used only under physician supervision