ACN Latitudes Forums

Is it X-linked? What is the pattern in your family?

Not trying to get personal about anyone's health, but in my family, PANDAS/significant autoimmune problems seem to follow an X-linked pattern of inheritance. I've seen it reported that several kinds of primary immune deficiencies also seem to be X-linked. Does the pattern hold true in your families? That would mean that:

If it's X-linked recessive:

All of the BOYS of an affected mother would have the condition at some level

NONE of the BOYS of an affected father would have the condition (unless the mother is also affected, of course, in which case see above)

GIRLS will have the condition ONLY if they have an affected father (mother may or may not be affected)

If it's X-linked dominant:

HALF or more of the BOYS or GIRLS of an affected mother, on average, would have the condition

NONE of the BOYS of an affected father would have the condition (unless the mother is also affected, but even then possibly not)

ALL of the GIRLS of an affected father will have the condition

Not trying to get personal about anyone's health, but in my family, PANDAS/significant autoimmune problems seem to follow an X-linked pattern of inheritance. I've seen it reported that several kinds of primary immune deficiencies also seem to be X-linked. Does the pattern hold true in your families? That would mean that:

NONE of the BOYS of an affected father would have the condition (unless the mother is also affected, of course, in which case see above)

GIRLS will have the condition ONLY if they have an affected father (mother may or may not be affected)

HALF or more of the BOYS or GIRLS of an affected mother, on average, would have the condition

NONE of the BOYS of an affected father would have the condition (unless the mother is also affected, but even then possibly not)

What do you mean by "affected" mother or father? Both my husband and I had numerous strep infections when we were little... His tonsils where taken out, mine are still here, and he is more of the OCD type :) Does that mean he is the "affected" one? We have 3 ds's and 4 dd's, our PANDA one being a boy (so far the only one, praying it stays that way!!!)

Isabel

What do you mean by "affected" mother or father? Both my husband and I had numerous strep infections when we were little... His tonsils where taken out, mine are still here, and he is more of the OCD type :) Does that mean he is the "affected" one? We have 3 ds's and 4 dd's, our PANDA one being a boy (so far the only one, praying it stays that way!!!)

Isabel

I meant affected by autoimmune issues (or immune deficiencies). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

All girls here but no boys to test the theory against and so far, it's just my girls, no one else in the family has it. I do have Hashimoto's (thyroid autoimmune) and there are some autoimmune conditions on my Dad's Father's side. Not sure what that all means.

Susan

I'll just tell you history...

-1 of my sons has PANDAS. I also have another son and a daughter. So, far they seem in the clear.

-As I look back at my own childhood, I wonder about myself. Tonsillitis 5+ times a year, OCD tendencies as a child. Other PANDAS type issues. Just makes me wonder.

-My maternal grandmother almost died from strep or scarlet fever pre-antibiotics era

-autoimmune disorder run in my maternal family

-Other OCD spectrum disorders with my maternal cousins. Their mother is my mom's sister

If you'd like Dr Geller is doing a PANDAS genetic study. If interested in participating, I'll pass on info. My son is too young to participate.

Susan, You probably already know this but just in case, hashimotos encephalitis presents very similiar severe symptoms as PANDAS.

Mom2pandas,

Maybe I am confused? But You had sc as a child?

No, you've got the wrong gal. I had anorexia nervosa and other OCD issues, and tics, as a child that developed into more bipolar issues as it went on, and was diagnosed with PANDAS before it had a name. (After a number of years, my psych figured out that I only had episodes of anything concurrent with a bad sore throat - helped that I always got a sore throat the very same day my symptoms suddenly started) - and ran antibody tests, etc. For the most part it burned out eventually. Except that I have a bunch of other immune issues now.

This is consistent with x-linked dominant transmission as well. Only mother to son transmission. No father to son transmission.

I would love to have the info for Dr. Geller. Thank you.

I'll just tell you history...

-1 of my sons has PANDAS. I also have another son and a daughter. So, far they seem in the clear.

-As I look back at my own childhood, I wonder about myself. Tonsillitis 5+ times a year, OCD tendencies as a child. Other PANDAS type issues. Just makes me wonder.

-My maternal grandmother almost died from strep or scarlet fever pre-antibiotics era

-autoimmune disorder run in my maternal family

-Other OCD spectrum disorders with my maternal cousins. Their mother is my mom's sister

If you'd like Dr Geller is doing a PANDAS genetic study. If interested in participating, I'll pass on info. My son is too young to participate.

I believe its neither..... My older son is full biological, my younger son is 1/2 biological (although carried in utero by me) both PANDAs and father is genetic link. No known, auto-immune, OCD, Tourette's on Fathers side.

We had 5 children at a playdate. 4 males, 1 female all under the age of 5. All the males got sick at the time. We know 3 males are now PANDAS with the fourth showing symptoms of OCD/Anxiety/Mood and will have his CaM tested once Cunningham's lab reopens. Because its was undiagnosed RF at the time in one child (has titers, ASO, Anti-DNAse-B, confirmed strep), probably undiagnosed Kawasaki's in another (has some titers, ASO), confirmed Kawasaki's (no titers).... KD favors males to female 4 to 1. Tourette's and OCD similar statistics of favoring Male to Female. KD does not produce traditional titers (positive cultures, ASO or Anti-DNAse)...... Known treatment IVIG potentially acting as an anti-toxin to the exotoxin of the strain.

I believe it is the strain of strep and perhaps the 'STATE' of the immune system at the time of exposure. Immune system is not fully developed until the age of 5. Because Kawasaki's potentially carries a resilient strep bacteria with it that attacks or suppresses immune system and goes intercellular and show up in agars of white blood cells, S. Pryogenes (some studies show 22% greater chance Male to Female but age might have a factor) inclusive of M1, M3, M18. I've spoken to Madeleine Cunningham at length via e-mail regarding this issue.

I think the focus needs to remain on the actual strain and state of immune system. BUT, as you can see a lot more studies need to be preformed prior to making that determination.

I believe its neither..... My older son is full biological, my younger son is 1/2 biological (although carried in utero by me) both PANDAs and father is genetic link. No known, auto-immune, OCD, Tourette's on Fathers side.

We had 5 children at a playdate. 4 males, 1 female all under the age of 5. All the males got sick at the time. We know 3 males are now PANDAS with the fourth showing symptoms of OCD/Anxiety/Mood and will have his CaM tested once Cunningham's lab reopens. Because its was undiagnosed RF at the time in one child (has titers, ASO, Anti-DNAse-B, confirmed strep), probably undiagnosed Kawasaki's in another (has some titers, ASO), confirmed Kawasaki's (no titers).... KD favors males to female 4 to 1. Tourette's and OCD similar statistics of favoring Male to Female. KD does not produce traditional titers (positive cultures, ASO or Anti-DNAse-:mellow:...... Known treatment IVIG potentially acting as an anti-toxin to the exotoxin of the strain.

I believe it is the strain of strep and perhaps the 'STATE' of the immune system at the time of exposure. Immune system is not fully developed until the age of 5. Because Kawasaki's potentially carries a resilient strep bacteria with it that attacks or suppresses immune system and goes intercellular and show up in agars of white blood cells, S. Pryogenes (some studies show 22% greater chance Male to Female but age might have a factor) inclusive of M1, M3, M18. I've spoken to Madeleine Cunningham at length via e-mail regarding this issue.

I think the focus needs to remain on the actual strain and state of immune system. BUT, as you can see a lot more studies need to be preformed prior to making that determination.