ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast Reaction?

A few times on this forum, I've seen references to yeast reactions by kids. I'm assuming these reactions are related to giving yeast and other probiotics to PANDAS kids who are on hefty antibiotic regimens? So, I have a couple of questions, as we're relatively new on this PANDAS path and I've been giving my son Flor-Stor (yeast) regularly, since his pediatrician recommended it, saying that the antibiotics won't kill it off immediately like it can other probiotics like acidolpholus.

1) Do I remember correctly seeing references to "silliness" and strange dreams associated with yeast? Are there any other tell-tale symptoms?

2) If the silliness and strange dreams are not at a level that interferes dramatically with daily life or sleep, are there other concerns associated with the ingestion of yeast we should be aware of?

3) If not yeast, and acidolpholus is not a reliable probiotic because the antibiotic can kill it off too quickly, then what? What would you recommend, and can I purchase it in a brick & mortar store, or do I have to go the on-line route?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know what Flor-stor is, but the yeast problems you're hearing about are most likely from yeast overgrowth (of the candidal variety). A yeast product that I use is S. boulardii, which I've not found in any stores locally, but buy from Kirkman's. But I also give my daughter prescription antifungals, which kill the boulardii, so timing is everything! I do give a OTC probiotic-also want to give a few hours later than ABX.