ACN Latitudes Forums

any thoughts on physical limitations

mom md

Given that my son's issues are primarily movement based initially, we have always allowed him to be fairly physically active because he seems to "need" to move. It is like he needs to get it out. Even after PEX they did not limit his activity except for four days. We were thinking about getting the kids a trampoline for Christams. Our friends have one and the kids seem to love it and be outside more. Despite the obvious safety concerns of a trampoline, do you think the repetative jumping on occasion could delay recovery? They said 5 minutes of jumping are equal to the calories in running a mile. Do you think it could increase his health or make things worse? Strange question but I do not know. Given that it is getting cold here my guess is they won't be on it for real long periods.

I've heard that the trampoline is great exercise but they do come with some safety risks. What about a rebounder/mini trampoline? I've also read that those are great for adults so I'd think they could work well for kids, too. And, I have no answers for you as to whether it will hinder recovery or delay things for your child. What works for one, may not work for another and vice versa. My son has used a trampoline many times over at friends' houses, etc and I've not seen any negative reaction, unless you count him being exhausted and worn out, LOL!

mommd- Its funny, I was thinking of getting the kids a tramp this summer, mainly for Julia (pandas). I think physical exercise can only be a good thing- provided they also have enough rest time. Why am I thinking that I saw somewhere that there is some therapeutic value in tramp jumping, also. I'll try to google it later.

We didn't get one, concentrated on horseback riding instead (which has also been fabulous for her) maybe this summer.

Might I add- what an awesome christmas gift :( My brother had one as a kid, and even in college- I loved it :blink:

Eileen

I was thinking about the same idea for our kids for Christmas and I was worrying about the safety concerns, but I have read so much about how wonderful the trampoline is for the lymphatic system. I cannot remember the details, but I have read this in several books. One was My Crazy Sexy Cancer. Another book was The Body Ecology Diet.

Both of my kids are in OT and a trampoline and crash pads are awesome for their sensory issues and balance. We bought a 14ft trampoline at Sears that is fully enclosed with a net. It is very safe and hey have a blast. We just limit the number of kids on at a time because they can jump into one another and get hurt. Crashing is really good for their vestibular system. I also bought an indoor mini exercise tramp for the winter. They have a blast on them even the older kids.

Michele

I was thinking about the same idea for our kids for Christmas and I was worrying about the safety concerns, but I have read so much about how wonderful the trampoline is for the lymphatic system. I cannot remember the details, but I have read this in several books. One was My Crazy Sexy Cancer. Another book was The Body Ecology Diet.

At OT, our dd does primarily trampoline work and deep pressure work. She LOVES it and is always much happier on her jumping days. She also does a bounce swing, and craves that movement. During PANDAS episodes, this is much more of a need for her, but it is a movement that she loves ALL the time. Love that Christmas present - you may be amused to know that Meg is begging for a Pogo stick.... hmm, more bouncing. It's like I am raising Tiger!

I would recommend cardio for sure I read it helps the BBB, the immune system, and sleep. My dd has had three relapses in 7 years. All her recovery was helped thru cardio exercise. I use to notice her chorea was less after soccer practice. (Of course during exercise it seems to increase it). As for safety and balance if you see him overexerting himself then stop the activity. My daughter is a figure skater, I feel that not only has this changed her coordination it has dramatically helped her brain. I believe exercise that coordinates both side of the brain is best at healing the brain. For example in skating you have to spin (rotate) all spins clock wise and counter clock wise, spirals must be done with both legs. Pretty much everything is done one direction and then alternated to the other. It is very difficult to do things with your weaker side. I feel her sports have healed her many times, she says skating is good for her soul. Thats enough for me. We have the trampoline that has the logo. "Safest trampoline in the World". It has no springs. Can't let a figure skater twist her ankle! My dd is 13 and after her recent relapse in May that was life altering with balance, chorea etc... Her skating was stopped for three months. She couldn't put hands out and head up without falling to the ground from balance issues. She is now trying to come back slowly, and struggling with her return. But I am told comebacks build character. And exercise heals the brain. Have fun! Also we love our trampoline.