ACN Latitudes Forums

Good News/Bad News

Bad News: My son had what we thought was a cold on and off going on 3 weeks now. We took him to the dr today and he has a sinus infection.

Good News: He is not having an exacerbation as a result of the infection! This is great news for us. He has had minor to moderate setbacks as a result of viruses and allergies in the past.

Hopefully, this means his immune system is calming down from the months of chaos it experienced. Let's hope he continues to remain symptoms free.

That is great news. What treatments have you done? We are 12 days into a steroid burst, month 2 of abx. Last night his cough sounded croupy, he had a stomach ache and vomited. Now today he is irritable and we just finished a raging meltdown. I thought we were improving and possibly turning back the pages until yesterday. Now I am worried we are setting up for another setback. So I was curious what had helped your son get here. We suffer episodes with every illness as well.

Bad News: My son had what we thought was a cold on and off going on 3 weeks now. We took him to the dr today and he has a sinus infection.

Good News: He is not having an exacerbation as a result of the infection! This is great news for us. He has had minor to moderate setbacks as a result of viruses and allergies in the past.

Hopefully, this means his immune system is calming down from the months of chaos it experienced. Let's hope he continues to remain symptoms free.

Vickie,

Is he on antibiotics? Augmentin has worked great for us in the past as far as clearing sinus infections. Also, keep that vaporizer going, especially at night, it really helps drain things out. But it's great that this has not affected him in other ways! We are on the second week of a steroid burst, and ds picked up a cold from his sister. Lots of nose blowing but it is not affecting his behavior at all, so I too am hopeful things are getting back on track.

Isabel

That is great news. What treatments have you done? We are 12 days into a steroid burst, month 2 of abx. Last night his cough sounded croupy, he had a stomach ache and vomited. Now today he is irritable and we just finished a raging meltdown. I thought we were improving and possibly turning back the pages until yesterday. Now I am worried we are setting up for another setback. So I was curious what had helped your son get here. We suffer episodes with every illness as well.

Hi there,

Did you take him in to have him checked? I now in other circumstances, most of us would let this kind of thing ride out, but sometimes it's better to play it safe. It sounds viral, and I don't know what can be done about that while you are on a steroid burst. One thing you can definitely do is to give him tons of probiotics.

sww817,

My son was put on antibiotics for his sinus infection. Luckily, he's not bothered or uncomfortable by it, so that's good. During the course of PANDAS my son has only had antibiotics and he received a steroid burst with his second strep triggered excaerbation.

I think I see that with him the further time goes by since his 3rd strep triggered exacerbation in March 2009, the viral triggered setbacks get more minor. He had strep triggered PANDAS 3 times in a span of 6 months, but now he has been strep free since March.

I was very nervous when I saw him getting another virus because he just had H1N1 about 2 months ago and he had 2 blips in behavior form that. I thought for sure this virus was too soon after that he was going to have a setback. I gave him Ibuprofen for a few days when I noticed the cold to try to nip any impending inflammation in the bud. And he hasn't even received Ibuprofen for probably 4 days now. So I know nothing is covering up what I am seeing.

Your son may have a stomach bug. Even if he's on antibiotics, that won't protect him from something viral. I'd be suprised if he got croup while on a steroid. They give a steroid for croup. If it means anything, while we were recovering we would have moments with bad setbacks. But luckily they wouldn't last for more tha a few days. It was odd, with my son, I would notice a decent size bump in recovery and then he would bounce back actually better than he was prior to that bump. And if you add a virus to that, it makes sense that would have an unfortunate setback. Do jot your son's behavior down on paper or calendar. Perhaps you will see patterns in his recovery the same way I did. It helped me a lot and eased some of my anxiety to know bad behavior didn't always mean we were entering heck again. The thing you need to follow your gut and do know when to draw the line in waiting and when to bring them in. Don't wait it out too long.

Thanks for the reply Vickie. I am hoping that my son will follow a similar pattern as yours. We have been seeing improvement but I don't yet know if this will be a true setback. Sometime I think it is sawtooth... sometimes turning back the pages... sometimes I have no idea!! I keep a daily journal with all pertinent info. I have for years. It has been a life saver for me. The sleepless nights coupled with stress, another child and a full time job... I can barely remember my name...much less see the actual picture with my son. So I write down everything. I am still hopeful. So good to hear a story like yours where you seem to be getting some good recovery with the abx! Keep us posted!!