ACN Latitudes Forums

Recent IVIG - What if he gets sick?

dabel

My 12yo son just had IVIG treatment last Thursday and Friday with Dr.K. I feel sorry for those of you who are too far away to see him. He is absolutely amazing with the kids! He spent two days with us and took the time to answer every question (and I had a lot of them) to the best of his ability. What I like about him is when he doesn't know the answer he admits it.

My son has had PANDAS for at least seven years but we think more likely ten. He has gone undiagnosed or was misdiagnosed and needless to say he and we have been to ###### and back and then back again! My son is the one who was scared to get the IVIG treatment because he was worried that it would change who he is. I am happy to report that after being on 875 mg of Augmentin twice a day for the last 5 - 6 weeks that black cloud was lifted enough for him to be on board and want help.

The IVIG treatment went well. My son did have a reaction on Saturday. I called Dr.K on his cell phone at 9:30 at night and he said that Prednison should take care of it and it did. My question to you guys is should I now live in fear of him getting sick? His immune system was so out of whack that he would go downhill after a virus or anything that challenged his immune system. My youngest son was complaining tonight about not feeling well and I thought - OMG what if Aaron gets sick? Have any of you had a child get ill after IVIG? If so did they develop a problem? Now that we have had the liquid gold dripped into his veins I don't want anything to mess this up!

Dabel:

Congratulations on completing the IVIG!!!

Our son had his first IVIG on September 1st, although his prednisone treatment was 1 month earlier. In our experience, the IVIG has really enhanced our son's immune system and even when our daughter had the flu, our son did not get sick. However, while he has not gotten sick since the IVIG, we do notice an increase in PANDAS symptoms whenever he is around someone else who is sick.

Keep us updated and remember that the healing journey can sometimes be bumpy!!

Elizabeth