ACN Latitudes Forums

Advil

kcdc3

Dosing depends on weight. My son weighs 45 pounds and can get 200mg (per his doctor). As for how often, well, that varies. Some are giving it daily, some are giving it when the PANDAS symptoms vamp up. With me, I only give it when I see he has a virus or questionable behavior surfaces. Luckily he hasn't had strep for a few months so I haven't had to give it for that. If he has an virus, I will give it every 6 hours at first then dwindle it down to once a day then down to nothing at all.

With my son, it takes about 1/2 hour to get in his system. If his PANDAS symptoms are moderate, I will see the Ibuprofen wear off around the 5 hour mark. If the behvaiors are mild, I can get away with only one dose a day.I time it around school.

I know some of you are using Advil - how much are you doing per day? Once a day? Every 6 hours? Do symptoms calm over time or do you notice difference soon?

Also - are you using Advil in combo with Abx or by itself?

We've been on Amoxil since Dec. 12. Heard about the Advil here and started it about a week ago. Right now doing 2 tsp, 2x/day. Daughter is 6 1/2 and about 50 lbs. Have noticed her vocal tic diminishing and overall less anxiety/opposition, a more happy, agreeable girl in general. Maybe coincidence that her symptoms are waning, as PANDAS has been with us since Aug. 28, 2009.

Many have seen the benefits of Ibuprofen. We think it takes down enough of the inflammation to see an improvement in symptoms for some children. Eventually, you may not need the Ibuprofen but they only way to know that is to stop giving it. Personally, if I knew my son had strep, I'd give it to him for at least a couple of weeks before testing the waters without. I would think it's easier to ward off impending inflammation rather than trying to take down swelling that is already present.

I have never seen a difference with advil- but also haven't given it on a regular basis.

I am wondering, for those who think it helps- do you think it has a cumulative effect?

Hi DCMom:)

We have used it a few times when "rages" were prevalent and it seemed to have a calming effect, but only for about the time period specified on the side of the bottle--not cumulative from what I can tell.

Best--

TMom

Some have not seen any difference while using it. As for my son, when I tried using it early on in a strep triggered exacerbation, it did not help. But he was also bad off and was in back to back infections. I have a feeling it was just too much inflammation going on.

When I use it for viruses, it helps. It would help with the first dose.

I would say just because it didn't work before, it doesn't hurt to try it again. Perhaps different circumstances will have different results.