ACN Latitudes Forums

Behavioral reaction to Benedryl

We gave my son Benedryl the other night and he slept like a baby. BUT, the next morning he was extremely agressive and angry. It wasn't exactly a rage, but more like he needed to hit anyone who came near him and was yelling a lot. It wore off in a couple of hours, and was clearly due to the Benedryl.

So we were told that he'd be given Benedryl before IVIG to help prevent an allergic reaction. I want them to give him something, because he is very sensitive to lots of things, but not sure it should be Benedryl.

Has anyone else seen a similar reaction and is there something you've used in place of Benedryl?

Thanks!

I've seen that reaction, but not the next morning. About 1/2 hour after dosing, my daughter has a huge, long rage. Then she falls asleep. Good question about alternatives for that with IVIG.

Thanks so much for your response! Anyone else? I can always ask the doctor or nurse, but I value your collective experiences at least as much. :)

I've seen that reaction, but not the next morning. About 1/2 hour after dosing, my daughter has a huge, long rage. Then she falls asleep. Good question about alternatives for that with IVIG.

Thanks so much for your response! Anyone else? I can always ask the doctor or nurse, but I value your collective experiences at least as much. :)

[/quote

My son had an IVIG in November and was given benedryl prior to the IVIG. I had forgotten that as a toddler, he had "rage" episodes with benedryl, and we hadn't given it to him in many years. He had a "burning reaction" the first night and the following nights they "watered down " the benedryl. This helped but it still burned.....just something to think about...

My son has always gotten very edgy and physically spastic with benadryl - only right after dosing though. If I gave it to him at night, night terrors and thrashing around in his sleep were awful! One time he slammed his head so hard on the headboard that he had a bruise.

Claritin made him terribly physically aggressive. Quite scary actually. I think they are different ingredients though?