ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone noticed a difference in brands of Zithromax?

Okay, this may seem strange, and it may be my imagination, but my son seems to have better days on a the TEVA brand of Zith. He is on 500 mg. a day so I have to mix a new bottle every few days and my pharmacy does not always have the TEVA brand in stock so we will get the Greenstone Brand. I know this must sound really strange, but he really does seem better when he is on the TEVA brand. The pharmacist said they are exactly the same medication.

I do think sometimes that the brand name medications are better than the generic, so wouldn't the same principal apply to different brands within a generic family of antibiotics.

You can all just tell me I'm officially crazy now, because I am grasping at straws here...

Just wanted to get others input on this...

Thank you,

Judy...

Okay, this may seem strange, and it may be my imagination, but my son seems to have better days on a the TEVA brand of Zith. He is on 500 mg. a day so I have to mix a new bottle every few days and my pharmacy does not always have the TEVA brand in stock so we will get the Greenstone Brand. I know this must sound really strange, but he really does seem better when he is on the TEVA brand. The pharmacist said they are exactly the same medication.

I do think sometimes that the brand name medications are better than the generic, so wouldn't the same principal apply to different brands within a generic family of antibiotics.

You can all just tell me I'm officially crazy now, because I am grasping at straws here...

Thank you,

Judy...

I dont know about zith but with dannys other meds the answer is YES!! Even his psych says theres a difference.Teva is suposed to be the better generic so I hear go onto crazymeds.com or org(not sure) you can read some good stuff about generics.Also if the md writes no substitution sometimes the pharmacy has to give it to you.Some insurance companys suc* like mine right now and if they offer generic you have toget it or pay the full price.

Good luck

Melanie

ABSOLUTELY!!!! My whole family is that way with medicines. They are not exactly the same drug because then they'd be the same brand. They might have the same medication in it but in a different kind of suspension or mix with different chemicals. My parents both can only do NAME brand of everything. And my son, we actually changed his Risperidal from two 1/2 mg tablets to one 1 mg tablet of the same brand. It was a disaster. So yeah if that's the case I would go to great lengths to insure you stay with that brand.

Thank you,

Judy...

I am very sensitive to so many things, including additives, and, for people like this, brand name versus generic will matter because the fillers/additives/etc. will be different. The brand name is likely the one that will have been used in the studies. However, I would not go to the blanket statement of brand name is always best. I think some of this is going to be individually, what a particular person's sensitivities are. I have a pharmacy that compounds with more healthy fillers (they advertise this for autism patients), but theis can only be done with generics.

Michael