ACN Latitudes Forums

Pleas help with antibiotics doseage info

chap

I believe the Erythromycin has a narrower scope over Azithromycin and the very reason they don't prescribe it as often. BUT, definitely give Erythromycin a try and if its not working switch. Yes, they are both Macrolides.

Taken from Wikkapedia regarding Streptococcus pyogenes (common strain in RF, Kawasaki's).

Macrolides, chloramphenicol, and tetracyclines may be used if the strain isolated has been shown to be sensitive, but resistance is much more common. Also all forms of this can be treated with antibiotics given through an IV.

-Wendy

Chap: Azithromycin and Erythromycin are very different antibiotics and from my understanding....... certain strains can have a resistance to Erythromycin. If you don't see any improvement within a week please try to switch.

-Wendy

Really? Are you saying certain strains of 'strep' have a resistance? I thought they were both macrolides ....but I feel very much out of my depth and like I dont understand the majority of this medical stuff! I kind of just went along with my doctors advice- she wasnt happy to give Zithromax as its not used often here in NZ (so our bugs havent been 'exposed' to it) and apperently thats how they want to keep it. Its also not funded so would be the pricey option.

So should I bother giving her the Erythromycin? I also have another question to put to other PANDA's moms and that is how do you determine that it is the antibiotic that is working as opposed to the natural wax and wane of Tourettes tics?

thanks guys

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks wendy. I think youre right. i spoke to a paed today who said Zithromax is the way to go. I will see her in a couple of days and try and get a prescription, rather then bothering with the erythromycin. It is the first time I have dealt with a medical professional who had heard of PANDA's.

Great news..... and glad you could find someone willing to write the correct prescription.

-Wendy

thanks wendy. I think youre right. i spoke to a paed today who said Zithromax is the way to go. I will see her in a couple of days and try and get a prescription, rather then bothering with the erythromycin. It is the first time I have dealt with a medical professional who had heard of PANDA's.

chap,

Where do you live? I know you said overseas. I ask since there are others having a hard time finding docs overseas and if you found someone who "gets it" it would be great to post where you live.

vicki and others,

Yes I will add her to the 'docs who helped' post if we have any luck at our appointment today. Thanks for your tip about ibuprofen too. It did seem to help the one time I tried it. What does that indicate?

Strangley, her vocals are much, much decreased over the last two days despite using NO abs.........however the other symptoms (mood & hitting herself) remain only very slightly decreased. Is it plausible to think that during the worst part of the strep infection ( the first three days) the symptoms were worse, but as her natural immunity fought back (the next three days onwards) she improved? Or would most kids continue with the same level of symptoms until the Strep was resolved?

We have always treated her as TS........

thanks

chap,

Where do you live? I know you said overseas. I ask since there are others having a hard time finding docs overseas and if you found someone who "gets it" it would be great to post where you live.

vicki and others,

Yes I will add her to the 'docs who helped' post if we have any luck at our appointment today. Thanks for your tip about ibuprofen too. It did seem to help the one time I tried it. What does that indicate?

Strangley, her vocals are much, much decreased over the last two days despite using NO abs.........however the other symptoms (mood & hitting herself) remain only very slightly decreased. Is it plausible to think that during the worst part of the strep infection ( the first three days) the symptoms were worse, but as her natural immunity fought back (the next three days onwards) she improved? Or would most kids continue with the same level of symptoms until the Strep was resolved?

We have always treated her as TS........

thanks

Its important to remember that the symptoms are NOT caused by the strep, but by some of the antibodies the immune system manufactures to fight the strep. Improvement should come when the antibodies are reduced. But, I can see where resolving the strep itself might reduce vocal tics...because while her throat is irritated, there are more nerve impulses sent to the brain-which are being "perverted" by the rogue antibodies. So nerve signals from the throat could be adding to the overactivity that is already being caused by the antibodies. If throat irritation is decreased- some of that brain activity is decreased as well.

Ibuprofen is a NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug). It takes down swelling. With PANDAS, there is inflammation on the basal ganglia. So, the Ibruprofen, in some cases, takes down enough inflammation that some of the symptoms may lesson. This is info you should share with your doctor. It doesn't solve the problem, but does offers some relief for some kids.

I believe that strep usually can resolve itself in time. I don't know if that is the case with PANDAS kids since their immune system is so messed up. What you don't want to chance is that it comes back full force by not being fully eradicated. If you ever think your child has strep, you need to get to the dr asap. Once the strep is gone, then the antibodies will begin to lower and you see improvements in PANDAS symptoms because the inflammation now has a chance to go down.

So happy for you that you found a doctor who is willing to treat her! Zithromax has helped many PANDAS kids, hope it helps your daughter too!

Isabel

Hi

Ibuprofen query:

can anyone tell me, if ibuprofen is going to work how long would it take?? I had assumed it would work quickly (as it does with reducing fever) within 10-20 minutes.....is it the same for PANDAs symptoms?

thanks

chap... if you need more drs names for PANDAS in the uk, you could ask Dr trifiletti here in the us. He mentioned a couple of drs names there who are savvy with PANDAS (cos we're from the uk originally). I can't remember who he said but am sure if you mail or ring him he could let you know. He was very helpful and open when I contacted him the other day.

chap... if you need more drs names for PANDAS in the uk, you could ask Dr trifiletti here in the us. He mentioned a couple of drs names there who are savvy with PANDAS (cos we're from the uk originally). I can't remember who he said but am sure if you mail or ring him he could let you know. He was very helpful and open when I contacted him the other day.

thanks, but we are in NZ

Since we're talking about abx dosage here,does anyone know, as far as being on antibiotics, is it okay if you miss a dose? we started azith 5 days ago and I had to get the script filled today but didn't make it to the pharmacy before it closed, so there will be no dose for today. does that make it like you are starting over when you get the next dose? or is it no biggie?

Thanks

Faith

Zith is taken up into the tissues and has a 60hr 1/2 life, if I remember correctly. Other abx do not stay in the system as long...

so I'm guessing why prophalactic dose is usually 2x per week? altho some here need more? would anyone also know, since its usually a 5 day course under regualr circimstances, then getting 250 mgs. eveyday actually is like getting more because you keep getting anothe dose before the last dose's half life is over? don't know if I'm explaining that right, but just wondering if an everyday dose is like building up in them? I suppose that's a good thing here, maybe that's why azith works better for some, but just wondering.

Faith