ACN Latitudes Forums

Tip for anyone.

I am currently 18 and have been experienceing facial tics for about 5 years or so now and have lived in a bi polar way for a lot of my life. It all started around when i turned 13. I delt with it for about 2.5 years until I was about 16 than i started to stop eating sugar and all my symptoms pretty much went away. I had absolutly no facial tics at all and my attitude completly changed. I couldnt believe how much better is started to do in school and how much more of a normal life i started to have.

I am now in college and I am getting better grades than ever and the only thing i have to do is eat no sugar. Everyone wonders why i dont. But I just say I dont like consuming it.

I stay away from any sweets, ketchup, bbq sauce, soda.

I highly reccomend this to anyone with any type of TS or facial tics.

Well it seemed like when i was about 9 i became obesessed with everything and was a very bad kid. First it was skateboarding all i would do is think and about it, talk about, and ride it was not normal. than i moved to a new house and i was introduced to paintball. I could not stop talking abou the sport. I wanted a paintball gun so bad and my mom thought i was to young. I had countless fights about how I should have one. I always looked up all types of equipment, had dreams about it. Pretty much the whole 9 yards. I also had a problem about not being able to talk abou it. I seemed that everything i had to say was related to paintball in some way. During the same time i was having lots of stomachaches, gas everything. I could not stay healthy. My dad had talked to a lot of people at his work and they reccomended taking meat and wheat out of my diet. so i did that and it got a little better but i was still getting stomachaches. I than had milk taken out of my diet. I started to notice a diference. And i seemed to be feeling normal. I then went to some type of acupuncture place and they ran tests on me and i was treated so that i could eat anytype of food and not have stomachaches anymore. i was feeling so good but i still got obsessed with stuff, constanly fought with my mom and dad, and had tics. Speaking of fighting I fought over anything. little things like who sits where in the car, who gets the last cookies, etc. these little fights turned into screaming, and hitting walls, slamming doors. It got real bad. Than one day my mom got a top from someone that sugar may cause these symptoms. So when i turned 16 i pretty much stopped eating sugar along with my mom. (btw my mom had some of the same outburst symptoms that i had her whole life). We immediatly noticed a difference. There was prettymuch no more fighting between us and I didnt every cause a disturbance in the household not to mention my tics were gone. My mom and I just cant believe that had not found this out earlier. My life has been so much more productive.

This is just scratching the surface on foods and how they affected my life.

I drink little to no milk... sometimes i sneak in a bowl of weaties every so often. but i always regret it by getting paranoid about homework and i get mildly depressed. (about 6 of sugar in wheaties and 15 in milk)

and other than that I do avoid all sugars. I do not eat any fruit, lots of different condiments, especially sugar alcohol which is in a lot of different types of sugar free snacks.

I do eat a lot of artificial sweetners however. they dont seem to affect me.

wow this sounds so much like our son, Although he is a pretty good kid.... I notice how when he gets interested in something it is all he thinks about. First it was sports...you could ask him anything about any team and he knew it...at 8 years old talking to him was like talking to an adult. He was either outside throwing the football or baseball or playing basketball.... Did great at playing baseball as a pitcher because he practiced all the time. Now he got hooked on Star wars...and that is always on his mind...from the video games, to the shows to the constant internet searches to the legos and that is all he wants for Christmas...this is a hard one for my husband and me because we just are not at all or ever was into Star Wars and we get so tired of listening to it all. He had small phases of hotwheels and such in between also. I told my husband hopefully this is just a phase and it will change soon. He really changed in the last year since he had new friends and this new interest...can't get him to much at all outside...my husband is a big fisherman and hunter and does enjoy playing sports with him but he just has a hard time being bothered by it...he does it somewhat to keep his dad and me happy but you can see his heart just insn't in it.

oh that would make him look if i told him no sugar !!!!

Mary

I drink little to no milk... sometimes i sneak in a bowl of weaties every so often. but i always regret it by getting paranoid about homework and i get mildly depressed. (about 6 of sugar in wheaties and 15 in milk)

and other than that I do avoid all sugars. I do not eat any fruit, lots of different condiments, especially sugar alcohol which is in a lot of different types of sugar free snacks.

What do you eat in a typical day? Do you find that eating no sugar makes you very thin? Could you give us some food examples of what you eat? Thanks...

I can attest to that when I have something sugary sometime during the day, I crash big time about an hour or so later, I get very tired, and feel depressed. so there's definitely something to it all. I do think the less sugar our kids get, of course, the better, but not always feasible. but I do think that limiting it to the best you can definitely helps in the longrun.

Faith

• 1 year later...

wow this sounds so much like our son, Although he is a pretty good kid.... I notice how when he gets interested in something it is all he thinks about. First it was sports...you could ask him anything about any team and he knew it...at 8 years old talking to him was like talking to an adult. He was either outside throwing the football or baseball or playing basketball.... Did great at playing baseball as a pitcher because he practiced all the time. Now he got hooked on Star wars...and that is always on his mind...from the video games, to the shows to the constant internet searches to the legos and that is all he wants for Christmas...this is a hard one for my husband and me because we just are not at all or ever was into Star Wars and we get so tired of listening to it all. He had small phases of hotwheels and such in between also. I told my husband hopefully this is just a phase and it will change soon. He really changed in the last year since he had new friends and this new interest...can't get him to much at all outside...my husband is a big fisherman and hunter and does enjoy playing sports with him but he just has a hard time being bothered by it...he does it somewhat to keep his dad and me happy but you can see his heart just insn't in it.

oh that would make him look if i told him no sugar !!!!

Mary

Okay this is 2 years late but i couldn't for the life of me find this site. I lost it some how.

But that story very close to my childhood. But I mean you could try less sugar, He is probably not at the age where its worth it though.

Edited by Thenervemann

Just a word of caution to all reading that artificial sugars, especially aspartame/Nutrasweet and sucralose/splenda, as well as High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) are documented as tic triggers as well as being problematic for other stuff!!

I am not sure why they don't affect you badly Thenervemann, but we have a lot of threads archived here of their negative effect on many people

Much better, if you can tolerate them, to use honey or maple syrup as sweeteners, or even Stevia.